Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It's supposed to mean that it is MY point that lives are not trivial...that you don't or shouldn't get to go around ruining those when no or no meaningful thing is accomplished by it. Through August of this year in my community of just under 1.1 million people, there had been 4 fatalities in alcohol-related traffic accidents. Over the same period, thousands of people had been arrested on DUI charges. How far do you suppose this sort of ratio should be taken? How much do you expect to be able to gain out of it?
Well, you're not saying that thousands have been jailed. I think the onus of the burden should be on those breaking the law. If that inconveniences them, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:22 PM

164 posts, read 240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Now, I'm not innocent of drinking & driving. Knock on wood I've never hurt anyone or been pulled over. But 8 TIMES????? My idea on these DUI's is, if they get one they get the ticket. Anytime it happens again, their license is suspended AND they get their car repossesed so it doesn't happen again. Thoughts?
You're absolutely right and that's the exactly the way it actually happens. The problem is these guys go back to driving on a suspended, get caught, do some short time, get out and re-offend.

I would favor state mandated forced rehab for habitual offenders after the 3rd offense within 2 years; or something like that.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
I still say if you made first offenders ride out with an EMS crew for awhile chances are a lot of them (other than the hardcore drunken idiots that couldn't care less in the first place) wouldn't get behind the wheel drinking again.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I still say if you made first offenders ride out with an EMS crew for awhile chances are a lot of them (other than the hardcore drunken idiots that couldn't care less in the first place) wouldn't get behind the wheel drinking again.
I like that idea a lot.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, you're not saying that thousands have been jailed. I think the onus of the burden should be on those breaking the law. If that inconveniences them, so be it.
These things vary by locale, but indeed everyone here does get one day in jail (though not necessarily 24 hours) and a 7-day license revocation. Those are administrative penalties. No conviction for anything is necessary. If you are convicted, the one day in jail counts as time-served. Having your life ruined meanwhile goes way beyond the level of inconvenience. And the question of what actual return you expect to receive for putting thousands of people through this particular wringer still goes unanswered.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I couldn't care less about the resultant harm done to a DWIer. The real issue is the danger posed to other people on the road - it's they who are the victims, not the other way around!
I understand your mindset. I have a different view...I don't like paying for others mistakes...You get a DUI, lose your job and can't find another job, now I have to pay for their welfare...The person is probably going to be depressed and continue driving drunk anyways...

The ignition interlock device (IDD) has a keyword in it, LOCK...Anyone ever hear the phrase "locks only keep honest people out"? IDDs are apparently easy for a mechanic to "fix", people will find a way around them.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
These things vary by locale, but indeed everyone here does get one day in jail (though not necessarily 24 hours) and a 7-day license revocation. Those are administrative penalties. No conviction for anything is necessary. If you are convicted, the one day in jail counts as time-served. Having your life ruined meanwhile goes way beyond the level of inconvenience. And the question of what actual return you expect to receive for putting thousands of people through this particular wringer still goes unanswered.
I think the return is making the roads safer. At least some of those folks might think again before getting behind the wheel drunk. Again, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who break the law, especially those who put others' lives in danger by doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I understand your mindset. I have a different view...I don't like paying for others mistakes...You get a DUI, lose your job and can't find another job, now I have to pay for their welfare...The person is probably going to be depressed and continue driving drunk anyways...

The ignition interlock device (IDD) has a keyword in it, LOCK...Anyone ever hear the phrase "locks only keep honest people out"? IDDs are apparently easy for a mechanic to "fix", people will find a way around them.
Seriously, I'd rather pay for someone's welfare than lose a family member or a friend. Here in CO, people can sometimes get restricted licenses to drive to work. There's also public transportation, car pooling, walking, etc.

I agree, people will find their way around anything, but locks do offer some deterrence.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
For the guy killed by the first-time drunk driver, the answer would have to be 1. Peace.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the return is making the roads safer. At least some of those folks might think again before getting behind the wheel drunk. Again, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who break the law, especially those who put others' lives in danger by doing so.
Who else are you cracking down on? Speeders? Tailgaters? People who change lanes without signaling? Where's the consistency...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Who else are you cracking down on? Speeders? Tailgaters? People who change lanes without signaling? Where's the consistency...
Drunk driving is extremely dangerous. About half of all fatalities are caused by drunk drivers, who, ironically, seem to usually kill rather than get killed. Yeah, I'd like to see more law enforcememt in general re: dangerous driving activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies