Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times

Advertisements

I think a first offender DWI/DUI should have three months revoked with a year to and from work or emergency license only after the three months revoked is up,a large fine made payable in monthly payments(everytime they make that payment it will remind them of what they did) AND be sentenced to ride with an EMS crew for one month who deals with DUI wrecks night after night to see the carnage that takes place due to drunk driving...THAT will burn into their minds surely....second offense should get them 5 years on foot and 6 months jail time...if caught driving while revoked or DUI while revoked it should be an automatic year in the state pen.Any more than that should be 15 years for every count.

I also think a first offender guilty of DUI vehicular homicide should do a straight 10 years with no day for day.Go out there and pick up after them on the highway for awhile and you'll get a hardnosed attitude about DUIs before long too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
>1st offense license suspended for 1 year, $2500 fine, 45 days in jail with work release. 2nd offense license revoked for life<

close

1st offense.
.08 to .12 $2500 fine. Work only DL for a year. (dont forget their insurance co will smack them harder)
.13+ $5000 fine. Work only DL for a year.
2nd Offense $10K fine 30 days in the pokey. DL revoked. Find a ride to work.
3rd Offense 10 years in prison (which Im gonna turn into a labor camp)
4th offense. Life w/o parole in a labor camp.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:18 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
I guess since I dont drink that I subscribe to 6 months in jail for first offense problem is like all laws the sons/daughters of politicians,they themselves ,judges,etc wont do a day.

So to be fair than it should be second offense at least some might wisen up. A car is a deadly weapon if driven by a drunk driver or most Miami drivers lol.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
not true, after my dui and the classes i took, i have never and i repeat never even had a beer and got behind the wheel. ive learnt my lesson and will never get behind the wheel after a drink.
That was in reference to the 2nd conviction, and if you get caught again, then it is obvious you have a drinking problem, and will continue to drink until someone is killed. Obviously you have learn't yore lessin, but many don't, like the guy this thread was started about, with 8 DUI's..

Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Does anyone ever wonder why we are so hopped up over alcohol, but do virtually nothing about other forms of impairment behind the wheel? Is it all just because we have these little machines that can estimate BAC?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
By your words I'm getting the impression that you think it's some kind of inevitable thing. It doesn't just happen.
I'm not a fan of drunk driving but I find it fascinating that on one hand people argue that driving drunk is a deliberate and conscious decision while on the other hand recognizing that drinking impairs judgement. I would think that it would be fairly obvious that you can't have it both ways. Clearly a person who is drunk isn't capable of making sound decisions. This is one of the underpinning rationales for why drunk drivers who are involved in fatal vehicular accidents aren't charged with pre-meditated murder.

Of course this doesn't remove the impetus to penalize those who go out and drink beyond the legal limit and then get behind the wheel of an automobile (although for the life of me I don't understand the rationale for applying drunk driving statutes to people on bicycles).

Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm not a fan of drunk driving but I find it fascinating that on one hand people argue that driving drunk is a deliberate and conscious decision while on the other hand recognizing that drinking impairs judgement.
A person, who intends on drinking at say a party, can make the decision, BEFORE THE FIRST DRINK, to give up their keys to the car - and have a designated driver. That is the intelligent and safe thing to do.

OBTW - I am very biased in this area: My wife and child were killed by a drunk driver

Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A person, who intends on drinking at say a party, can make the decision, BEFORE THE FIRST DRINK, to give up their keys to the car - and have a designated driver. That is the intelligent and safe thing to do.

OBTW - I am very biased in this area: My wife and child were killed by a drunk driver
My deepest condolences in your loss. As I pointed out, I neither condone or excuse drunk drivers but no state prohibits the drinking of any alcoholic beverages and driving. The laws set a limit which is used to determine when an individual is physically and mentally impaired not alcohol free and herein lies the problem with your argument. Depending on an individuals physiological tolerance one or two drinks during the course of an evening will not lead to a state of intoxication.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I am sorry for your loss.Words cannot describe how awful and unfair that is.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh, I agree it's total luck & I'm not proud of it. But I'm just saying, I'm sure more than half of the people on this forum can admit to getting behind the wheel. Not cool, but yes at one point or the other it does happen. But as a first offense, I think a fine, some community time, etc. is sufficient enough to put the fear of whatever into you. I know for a fact if it ever happened to me, it would never happen again!
Just b/c a lot of people do it (or 'half the people on the forum') does not mean it's right or even forgivable. Go spend some time in a trauma center and see what kind of chaos, tragedy, sadness, and expense this stupid, preventabe, selfish action can cause. It's sick.

You get caught the first time in a lot of other countries, your driving career is over. And you know what? They have a lot fewer drunk driving deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies