Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times

Advertisements

Forget about license suspensions, too many people drive w/o one anyway.

I dont have much of an issue with the regular DUI laws, it's the DUI and killing someone laws that are way too light. Negligent homicide? C'mon that's hardly even a felony....

Be charged with Murder at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
A couple of weeks ago, I had 3 or 4 friends of my roomate out on the porch drinking. Normally I don't care, since we're all in our early twenties and we do drink sometimes. When they started bragging about the amount of arrests they have had I got a little irritated. When they started laughing and bragging about their DUIs, and 2 of them mentioned they were on alcohol related probation, that's when I not so politely told them to get the hell out of my house and never come back. One thing I cannot stand is people bragging about being 'tough' and blatantly violating probation like that...especially in MY HOUSE where I would probably get in trouble for letting them drink.

I have zero tolerance for people who get DUIs, mostly because a good friend of mine was killed in a drunk driving accident when we were 19. If they show irresponsibility in that part of their life, what other things are they being irresponsible about?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just b/c a lot of people do it (or 'half the people on the forum') does not mean it's right or even forgivable. Go spend some time in a trauma center and see what kind of chaos, tragedy, sadness, and expense this stupid, preventabe, selfish action can cause. It's sick.

You get caught the first time in a lot of other countries, your driving career is over. And you know what? They have a lot fewer drunk driving deaths.
Did I say drunk driving was right? No, read my posts before you react out so aggressively.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Different states set the allowable blood-alcohol count at different levels. Which means that if a legally sober driver on State Line Avenue veers acros the center line, he is a drunk driver while he is over there. Each time he veers over there, it is a separate count, terms to run consecutively. Not only that, if he has his hand up the skirt of his 17 year old girlfriend, he is guilty of having sex with a minor while he is over there. Not even counting the fact that he can now be prosecuted in federal court for violating the Mann act, by transporting a minor across a state line for immoral purposes. Which, in a police state, means "for disobedient purposes".

What makes him more "guilty" of anything, or more morally reprehensible, simply because he wandered across an arbitrary survey line?

Until you can justify the interpretation I have just described, any discussion about DUI is meaningless.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
1st one... hefty fine and suspension for 1 year
2nd one ... loss of license forever.

If you want to drink, walk, get a designated driver or a cab!

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM

Different states set the allowable blood-alcohol count at different levels. Which means that if a legally sober driver on State Line Avenue veers acros the center line, he is a drunk driver while he is over there.

There should be federal standard for what is considered "drunk driving". Drunk is drunk, and unfit to operate a vehicle - doesn't matter what state you are in....

I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers... too many innocent people get killed by them.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Different states set the allowable blood-alcohol count at different levels. Which means that if a legally sober driver on State Line Avenue veers acros the center line, he is a drunk driver while he is over there.

There should be federal standard for what is considered "drunk driving". Drunk is drunk, and unfit to operate a vehicle - doesn't matter what state you are in....

I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers... too many innocent people get killed by them.
I have zero tolerance for repeat offenders. I'm sure there are statistics on accidents vs. how many DUI's someone has received & I would bet that the majority of accidents/deaths that occur w/drunk driving involved someone who had repeated DUI's.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM

Well, that is why I would favor a second strike and you are OUT policy. If you haven't learned after the first DUI, then you should not be allowed to drive.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Does anyone ever wonder why we are so hopped up over alcohol, but do virtually nothing about other forms of impairment behind the wheel? Is it all just because we have these little machines that can estimate BAC?
It is only because they haven't come up with an accurate test for potheads, cracksmokers dopefiends etc. Right now police can look at body language and eyes for signs of these things but nothing concrete. I wish they would come up with a good test for those things, they are as bad as a drunk behind the wheel

Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,399 times
2 -- loss license for 6 months. Prison for rest if caught cheating.
3 -- loss license for 10 years. Prison for rest if caught cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies