Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I would personally claim squatters' rights on your front lawn then....
Be careful. Castle doctrine may be put to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You and me both. Our local lunatics significantly raised property taxes just as the economy was tanking. This will be a long and sad learning curve for most Americans. Me included. If it gets worse, and I expect it will, I have only the Great Depression experience related to me by my Dad who took from that experience a fear of owning anything and consequently never did.
Same here....My wife and I took a plunge and finally bought a biz....I was/am scared to death about it because of my dad always telling me to SAVE every penny and don't trust banks.It is scraping by and feeding us right now,but we run the ragged edge every month.We save every penny and haven't been out to eat or any outside entertainment in ages and we live VERY modestly by having a cheap paid off house and cheap paid off vehicles.The gentleman who owns the store in the next town north of us lives a bit "higher on the hog" as they say around here and he is now having to stay open MUCH longer hours and is losing a fight with a new Super Wally world 6 miles from him that will eventually break him.I hate it for him and his family and wish it was different for them,but comfort is a thing of the past and not trying to do the "sky is falling"routine,but tough times are ahead and you better get tough with them or get trampled under foot.

Back in the mid thru late 90's I watched a beautiful field turn into a McMansion subdivision,I was in utility construction at the time and plowed phone lines to these places.They were just sickening to behold the waste and the keep up with the Jone's attitudes of the "newly" well to do owners was even harder to stomach.Most of the owners were in investment banking,real estate brokers and two fellows who inherited a car dealership from their father....Wanna take a guess how many of those places have been lost to the bank? I don't have an exact figure,but a lot of them are now empty with signs out front BEGGING for someone to look at them and the ones still occupied have real estate signs in the yard too.If you have a $2,500.00 a month house payment,GIANT utility bills,HUGE tax bill,two Beemers and one Hummer (don't forget the his and her's Harleys.No poser lifestyle would be complete w/o those now days)payment,insurance premiums,cell phone bills,computer bills,food bills,fuel costs etc etc etc...HOW can you even think about surviving???

I in my wildest nightmare cannot imagine how much money per month it would take to live in one of those places and keep that image up .And for what?? So the dumb will look upon you with awe?? When it comes down to survival of the fittest I think I'm gonna take my chances in this cheap ol' yellow clay farm ground that nobody wanted with my junky looking old house and although I'd truly love to (and even been tempted with todays prices being so low) have a newer Dually,I'll just stick with this 12 yo one because it's still doing it's job and I think we can go a year or so longer without all the fancy Christmas lights in our yard that just flat soak electric up.Santa will still find my baby girl without the runway lights

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
funny. I see hundreds of actual brick homes in Detriot selling for less than $10,000. Union greed and poor management lead to the demize of GM. Continuing to subsidize an unprofitable industry is essentially stealing money from everyone else (who could use that money to create different jobs) and literally lighting it on fire.

Personally, I will boycott any company I know that receives any kind of governmet bail out, even if it puts my fellow American out of work. I hope others will do the same.
then you are out of the stock market, real estate market, insurance, equities, oil, etc? cool.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you're right then the autoworkers should have agreed to make just what the autoworkers in the south make. Why not if they already do?

The problem was that the Detroit union workers would not accept wages like those working in the south -- but why not? Otherwise they could have said "yes we're fine with that because there is already so little difference".

Why is it you don't also call for the Big 3's managements to also agree to work for what the management of the companies owning plants in the south make? Just another attempt at union busting while management gets a pass for their unmatched greed?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
The UAW is blamed beacuse they are the only part of the auto industry that is way out of touch with the rest.

Sure the CEO's and excutives make a lot, but their salaries are similar to other executives in other companies.

UAW workers salaries are WAY higher than comparable workers in other fields.

The UAW refusing to take a wage cut is the reason why enough GOP senators voted this bill down.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
yup. I'm actually a short seller of stocks (particularly financial and real estate), long precious metals, don't believe in "insurance", and a boycotter of Uncle Sam as well (people still pay income taxes?)

Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
The UAW is blamed beacuse they are the only part of the auto industry that is way out of touch with the rest.

Sure the CEO's and excutives make a lot, but their salaries are similar to other executives in other companies.

UAW workers salaries are WAY higher than comparable workers in other fields.

The UAW refusing to take a wage cut is the reason why enough GOP senators voted this bill down.
Do American's buy Toyota's because they think the GM workers should not own homes? Is that what you are saying? Toyota's are expensive cars but they sell. If GM had decided to retool and create a battery run SUV in 2005, ahead of the oil speculation of the spring/summer of 2008, I doubt anyone would have said, " I choose not to buy this vehicle because the UAW line worker will make too much money". Every day that you turn on your tv and watch pro sports, you are happy to support "workers" that make far more money than most in comparable fields.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
yup. I'm actually a short seller of stocks (particularly financial and real estate), long precious metals, don't believe in "insurance", and a boycotter of Uncle Sam as well (people still pay income taxes?)
So you are a taker, got it.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Do American's buy Toyota's because they think the GM workers should not own homes? Is that what you are saying? Toyota's are expensive cars but they sell. If GM had decided to retool and create a battery run SUV in 2005, ahead of the oil speculation of the spring/summer of 2008, I doubt anyone would have said, " I choose not to buy this vehicle because the UAW line worker will make too much money". Every day that you turn on your tv and watch pro sports, you are happy to support "workers" that make far more money than most in comparable fields.
It has nothing to do with what the consumer chooses to buy, that's a separate issue.

The issue here is how much GM makes in profit per vehicle, which is far less than what others do, thanks to these UAW contracts.

BTW.... I don't watch pro sports, only college football

Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
You guys are going to be pretty angry when they give them the money but with less oversight then, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies