Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM

147 posts, read 91,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The GOP had so many self-inflicted stab wounds that even if he wanted to stab them, he wouldn't have been able to find a place to stab.

I think the racist has been identified though
The GOP may have hurt itself through bad government, but as far as I can see Colin Powell was the only racist that OPENLY jumped ship, solely because of race.

Although there were some articles written about "Black Republicans" and the dilemma they were facing. I bet all those Black Republicans voted for Obama based on race too.

see here:
Quote:

Black Republicans consider voting for Obama - USATODAY.com

Black Republicans consider voting for Obama

No racism here, no sir. Move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Nice way to talk about a four star general...I guess conservatives are only pro-military when those same guys only vote Republican. aside from that they're worth all the trash talk they get eh?

I'll agree that he isn't really a Republican in the modern sense of the word, but to call him a racist is way below the belt. Besides, if he endorsed McCain nobody would be complaining about affirmative action, his abortion stances or his moderate/liberal views. He'd be seen as a great american and all the rest would be ignored. But now that he went for a Democrat, it's okay to tear him down...very classy....
They just hate getting busted for their own hypocrisy. They don't mind parading him around as a token black in Bush cabinet?

Set him up as god so long as he agrees with you, but the moment he disagrees vilifying isn't low enough. Next they'll be sponsoring a 70mill investigation on yo' mama.

I think his presence in the cabinet lent Bush credibility he otherwise wouldn't have, which was detrimental to Powell's reputation. I'm glad he resigned.

Republicans themselves don't know what the heck they are anymore. Who in the GOP is qualified to make that determination? O'Reilly? hahahhaaa

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
They just hate getting busted for their own hypocrisy. They don't mind parading him around as a token black in Bush cabinet?

Set him up as god so long as he agrees with you, but the moment he disagrees vilifying isn't low enough. Next they'll be sponsoring a 70mill investigation on yo' mama.

I think his presence in the cabinet lent Bush credibility he otherwise wouldn't have, which was detrimental to Powell's reputation. I'm glad he resigned.

Republicans themselves don't know what the heck they are anymore. Who in the GOP is qualified to make that determination? O'Reilly? hahahhaaa
You have it totally backwards. It's not the Republicans that threw Powell under the bus, it was Powell who threw his friends and benefactors under the bus. It was Powell who betrayed his long affiliation with a political party because he decided being a racist was more important.

I don't know when people are going to wake up and learn that "race" is the most salient issue out there. It sure was to all Black, LaRaza, Jewish voters who overwhelmingly vote in racial blocs. Powell's back-stabbing shouldn't really come as a surprise, as race trumps just about everything, and Powell proves it right out there in the open for all to witness.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
I think it's laughable that so many people on here (and elsewhere) criticize Powell withou having LISTENED to what he said:

1. The R party HAS moved far to the right, alienating many MIDDLE OF THE ROAD voters. Yet the middle is where elections are won! Neither the Ds or the Rs have a majority of registered voters. When the Ds move far to the left (or the Rs project them as such) they lose elections. When the Rs do it they lose.

2. I realize that many Rs consider SP to be the greatest thing since Ronald Reagan. But, in terms of national politics she had not RECOGNITION, no POLITICAL STANDING, no BASE OF SUPPORT within the party-note, Phyllis Schlafly and Jonah Goldberg and a few other nut jobs do not constitute a BASE OF SUPPORT. More like a sliver.

3. Funny that no one on the right ever thinks that Powell got ahead through hard work, diligence, attention to detail, political skill (believe me, in the military, every promotion above company grade-Captain-is mostly political), and knowing what the heck he was doing. No, it was only through tokenism. Yet NONE of you will admit that CLARENCE THOMAS was anything but a TOKEN PICK. IIRC Rush Limbaugh was bragging at the time of his naming what a great (token) pick he was because liberals wouldn't be politically able to vote against him. Silly liberals, actally wanted a SC Justice who had an idea of WTF he was doing.

4. To say that all he ever did was be CJCS while his military enjoyed overwhelming force is to show your ignorance! We had an overwhelming force during Operation Iraqi Freedom, but did not have a civilian leadership willing to listen to the experts, nor a command stafff willing to stand up for their convictions. Completely different result than in GWI.

Trust me on this peachytree; 3 of those 4 probably didn't vote for Obama because the Republican Party won't let their "house boys" go into the voting booth by themselves. Although I'll admit I don't know who the last one is for certain.

golfgod

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
At worst, Powell is half-racist since Obama is half white.
Anyway, the contents of what Powell said are being largely ignored in the thread as people are busy opining about the racist angle. Powell had many good points about what the Repulican party has been doing wrong - as an ex-Repubican (8 yrs ago), I tend to agree with him.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:53 AM

For those who think Powell was a token, do you really believe our beloved W could have risen so far without the support of his dad, without the connections that saved him when the companies he ran went under, connections that helped him avoid the armed forces, connections that probably got him into Yale, connections like Rove that made him president, etc etc. Without connections, W would be nothing. Get real.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
At worst, Powell is half-racist since Obama is half white.
Anyway, the contents of what Powell said are being largely ignored in the thread as people are busy opining about the racist angle. Powell had many good points about what the Repulican party has been doing wrong - as an ex-Repubican (8 yrs ago), I tend to agree with him.
No, no, no!!!! You exhibit all the brain-washing, all the failure, all the indoctrination!!

IT IS POWELL WHO IS THE RACIST.

My God, get a clue.
Quote:
“I think the party has to take a hard look at itself,” Powell said in the interview, which was taped Wednesday. “There is nothing wrong with being conservative. {snip} But if the party wants to have a future in this country, it has to face some realities. In another 20 years, the majority in this country will be the minority.”
He's talking about race here, and nothing else.

Quote:
Powell: the GOP must see what is in the “hearts and minds” of African-American, Hispanic and Asian voters
I’ll help them out a little bit: It’s race, race and race. Wake up White people.

With 96% of blacks voting for Obama, I have come to the conclusion that nothing the GOP would have or could have done would have changed that. While the black candidate got over 40% of the white vote in New York State the black candidate got statistically 100% of the black vote while the white Presidential candidate got 0%. In Colin Powell’s case he could have voted for his fellow service man or fellow GOP candidate but instead chose to jump like a rat off of a burning ship to cling to a fellow blackman. Case closed. Any White person that falls for anything different is a fool and naive.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I
4. To say that all he ever did was be CJCS while his military enjoyed overwhelming force is to show your ignorance! We had an overwhelming force during Operation Iraqi Freedom, but did not have a civilian leadership willing to listen to the experts, nor a command stafff willing to stand up for their convictions. Completely different result than in GWI.
Speaking of ignorance -- what does the CJCS have to do with the quality of civilian leadership?

This is a thread about Powell, not Bush.

I stand by my criticism of Powell as an effete opportunist. Why doesn't he have the huevos to simply change parties and offer himself as a candidate for public office or some kind of responsible position?

Until he does so, he shows himself to be little more than a disloyal and bitter retired burreaucrat who lacks the stomach to take on active public service, preferring instead to carp about those who do.

And those types are a dime a dozen.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachytree View Post
The GOP may have hurt itself through bad government, but as far as I can see Colin Powell was the only racist that OPENLY jumped ship, solely because of race.

Although there were some articles written about "Black Republicans" and the dilemma they were facing. I bet all those Black Republicans voted for Obama based on race too.

see here:

No racism here, no sir. Move along.
As if black republicans have never endorsed white candidates. And if it really was about race, Powell would have endorsed Obama from the jump. Seems like you're the one needlessly playing the card. The Republican party boat was capsizing. Powell jumped ship just in time. Instead of taking a hard look in the mirror you immediately externalize his reasons and, guess what......blame the black man.

A most pathetic show of self-victimization if there ever was. Kinda preposterous don't you think?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachytree View Post
No, no, no!!!! You exhibit all the brain-washing, all the failure, all the indoctrination!!

IT IS POWELL WHO IS THE RACIST.

My God, get a clue.
He's talking about race here, and nothing else.

I’ll help them out a little bit: It’s race, race and race. Wake up White people.

With 96% of blacks voting for Obama, I have come to the conclusion that nothing the GOP would have or could have done would have changed that. While the black candidate got over 40% of the white vote in New York State the black candidate got statistically 100% of the black vote while the white Presidential candidate got 0%. In Colin Powell’s case he could have voted for his fellow service man or fellow GOP candidate but instead chose to jump like a rat off of a burning ship to cling to a fellow blackman. Case closed. Any White person that falls for anything different is a fool and naive.
Powell also had comments about Palin polarising the party - this has nothing to do with "race race race". It had to do with fundamentalism and the swing of the Republicans to the hard right by which they lost many independents (and the election). Repubilcans are out of touch - another point Powell brought up and you ignore. Also, blacks overwhelmingly vote for Democrats - regardless of the color of their candidate - the "why" is a different thread. I will give you that race is a factor but not as big a factor as it obviously is to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies