Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yes---the people have spoken and the people have voted---but thats not good enough for your libs...This is a perfect example of communism in action. The majority of people voted and they dont want gay marriage. But here you are trying to get courts involved.
Communism? How so?

The court system is part of our government. Everyone uses the courts - from liberal to conservative. Surely you remember learning about the judicial branch of government back in junior high school, don't you?

The phrase, "the people have spoken" is trite. Hopefully this episode will remind Americans that we have a system of checks and balances in this country, and for good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,617,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Communism? How so?

The court system is part of our government. Everyone uses the courts - from liberal to conservative. Surely you remember learning about the judicial branch of government back in junior high school, don't you?

The phrase, "the people have spoken" is trite. Hopefully this episode will remind Americans that we have a system of checks and balances in this country, and for good reason.
Never the less---it was put up for a vote, and people voted NO to gay marriage. trying to invalidate the will of the people by crying to a liberal judge smacks of communism.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
trying to invalidate the will of the people by crying to a liberal judge smacks of communism.
Communism is a socioeconomic structure and political ideology. I don't understand your connection between utilizing the court system and communism.

Did you know that six out of the seven judges on the California Supreme Court were appointed by Republican governors? I guess if they make a decision that you disagree with, then they're a bunch of liberals. That seems to be your standard.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:
Never the less---it was put up for a vote, and people voted NO to gay marriage. trying to invalidate the will of the people by crying to a liberal judge smacks of communism.
If gay marriage were legal how would it affect your life? I'd really like to know on a personal level how would you be affected?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Democracy prevailed in California and the people decided. Its now your duty to deal with it until you can persuade the electorate to change their mind on the issue or you can somehow get it overturned in the courts. If you don't like the laws, change them, but throwing the big tizzy-fit and attacking religious people is not helping your case at all. Democracy is a wonderful thing, and you must accept its outcome whether you like the results or not.
beer-da-da-deer....

Perhaps Constitutional Law Class is in order for you and every little christian twit that likes to use this line...
You don't like gay people... just come out and say it... its cool we can handle it... but don't sit here and insult our inteligence with your back handed ignorant banter....

If you don't like gay people, quit making all the gay threads talking about it...

Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
Quote:
communism? you better go look that word up before you start throwing it around because you heard it on talk radio....

jesus christ, our education system has seriously failed many hasn't it?

I suggest you understand the role of the courts and judges in a democracy.. its under the judicial branch of government... it's role and purpose is quite clear... that is if you wish to acknowledge it or not... kind of like how many of your mindset don't want to acknowledge other facts related to gay marriage and abortion..which we should address in those forums.. but thanks for keeping the theme alive for all of us here..

Last edited by boiseguy; 12-13-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Seriously, why do you have the need to start this when there are so many other threads about it? If you dislike gay and lesbians so much..well too bad.

You already complain and moan about gays in other posts and other threads so why start this? You are more than welcome to go to another thread and write this. Not that you are not already with your horrible attitude towards people who are different than you or people who are not religious. Like I said in another thread that you probably started, you are a bigot. We got it.

Maybe YOU should stop throwing the big tizzy fit. Seriously. Grow up.
Wow such hate in your tone I can feel it slapping me all the way over here. I think the OP was just urging you all to try, try again, instead of whine and throw a hissy fit about it. I read that it's being taken back to the courts. That's great, at least some aren't sitting around throwing hissy fits and are actively fighting for what they believe in. Throwing insults around on a forumn is doing nothing but making the OP even more intolerant against your cause and estranging the support that moderates might have given had you not start throwing around words.

Your telling the OP do to some growing up, but maybe it's you that needs to grow up the most.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
kind of like how many of your mindset don't want to acknowledge other facts related to gay marriage and abortion..which we should address in those forums.. but thanks for keeping the theme alive for all of us here..
We should thank them! There have been a few times where I've thought about starting a thread about a gay-related topic, but then I've thought, "Nah, one of the conservatives will probably start the discussion", and then one of them actually does! I'm serious!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I think the OP was just urging you all to try, try again, instead of whine and throw a hissy fit about it.
Yeah, I know, but why was it necessary for him to start yet another topic on this subject? The number of discussions about same-sex marriage has decreased significantly over the last couple of weeks.

It's just interesting that bchris02 felt the need to rev up the debate again.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:21 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,617,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
communism? you better go look that word up before you start throwing it around because you heard it on talk radio....

jesus christ, our education system has seriously failed many hasn't it?

I suggest you understand the role of the courts and judges in a democracy.. its under the judicial branch of government... it's role and purpose is quite clear... that is if you wish to acknowledge it or not... kind of like how many of your mindset don't want to acknowledge other facts related to gay marriage and abortion..which we should address in those forums.. but thanks for keeping the theme alive for all of us here..
Dont get snippy with me. I understand the role of courts and judges. Why the hell do we even vote then if what the majority of citizens vote for can simply be overturned by 1 person. Does that really sound like democracy? Nope-- sounds like communism where everyone is told what they can and cant do. And you know what? I dont care if you are gay or not. I know alot of gay people. I am not even religious..but there are some things that need to stay as they are, and the definition of marriage is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies