Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM

37,178 posts, read 19,179,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Exactly! I know tons of people that made the same smart choice of never experimenting with drugs.
I know a lot of them who never tried drugs and consider themselves experts in the field.

They can give you opinions, and opinions only. They don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I know a lot of them who never tried drugs and consider themselves experts in the field.

They can give you opinions, and opinions only. They don't know.
I never professed to be an expert on drugs ... I'm just glad that I never experimented with them. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 PM

217 posts, read 416,805 times
we're doomed.... with this one...

Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 PM

37,178 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
I never professed to be an expert on drugs ... I'm just glad that I never experimented with them. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss.
I never said you made a bad choice. I just made a different one.

I have known members of D.A.R.E. to go into schools and do presentations that try to scare children but offer very sparse factual information about their subject. Children can smell BS from three miles. If you lie to them, even with the best of intentions, they will shutter you out and you will never be heard again when you speak.

When my children got old enough to ask me about drugs, I told them the truth. I told them that for 17 years I used every drug I could find that didn't require a needle, and that was because I had a good friend who died with a needle in his arm. He was the color of a new pair of Levis when we found him.

I told them it was a million dollars worth of experience and I wouldn't give a wooden nickel to try it again.

Since then they have grown up and become responsible and hard-working young adults, and to the best of my knowledge have never had the urge to experiment.

Was I right or wrong? Neither. I was curious. It's just a part of who I am, and it is a part I share with the last two presidents and the President Elect.

Is someone better off for never having used drugs? Probably. That's a good choice, in my book. At the same time, they will never know, but some things you really don't want to know. Trust me on that one.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Obama's apparent drug use will get about as much attention and air time as his addiction to smoking.

NONE

Whether or not it should receive any attention is up for debate.

it's incredible that his smoking habit was kept out of the news. i somehow doubt that anything will be done over the drug issue though because it works just fine....... for its intended purpose!

the man on the street believes that the purpose of the drug laws are to keep it out of our hands, outlaw it because they can't tax it, keep it away from the children etc etc. i don't think that's its purpose. imo, the drug laws are there so the powers that be can impose orwellian surveillance measures and desensitize citizens to the draconian procedures of police. its all about control and has nothing to do with drugs.

there is a notion that with the "patriot act" in place the govt no longer needs the "drug laws" to spy on its people

Old 12-20-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Yes, what happened to Bush will cause payback.

But I do find it interesting that, during the election season, you never saw Obama smoking. The MSM never touched it. Never saw pictures of him with a cigarette.

To me, the smoking issue is by no means a make-or-break deal. I've got some very good friends who would love nothing more than to be able to quit smoking.

But I do wonder why they were so careful to NEVER show Obama smoking cigarettes.

i think that pics of obama smoking would have had a huge negative effect on his campaign. i am absolutely flabbergasted that not even FOX mentioned the issue. it's almost like FOX wanted him to win. very strange

Old 12-20-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Is there anyone born after WWII who has not done drugs? I'm not sure how much faith I could put in anyone who was THAT incurious about the world...

i doubt it! what i also think is that you have too much confidence in the democrats to ease drug laws. they'll talk about it, pr it, make people believe that they are the enlightened ones but under no circumstances will they make thousands of dea agents redundant, let alone kill the jobs of the dealers, producers, henchmen, launderers, trafficers etc.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Find some information on "marijuana addiction" that does not come from the self-proclaimed "marijuana addiction" treatment industry. The first job of these people is to convince you that there is a problem. Then you can pay them to solve it for you. Bunch of frauds, crooks, and liars, basically...

i agree with 100% on this issue but saganista, i really just don't get you. on the one hand you seem opposed to big govt interference and the legislating of good behaviour! on the other you seem to be in favor of it! i suppose you're one of those "legalise it so you can tax it" types. tax it in the hope that the revenue can pay welfare to the unemployed ex-dea agents.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Marijuana Addiction
According to the above article, long term use of marijuana can lead to addiction of the drug.

The "Addiction-Help Line" should be considered an unbiased source?

Many snake-oil salesmen make a fine living 'curing' things that don't really exist.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:

And very often ignorance is just ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies