Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
We were provoked when saddam invaded our ally

Kuwait
If you remember, Saddam asked permission first, and we gave it to him.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
They should not give his shoes back and he should be allowed to only wear the $2 "light & harmless" flip-flops from Walmart for the rest of his life.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times
I think that Bush is a very bad president who should have been impeached long ago. That being said, I find no amusement or joy in some Iraqi throwing his shoes at the PRESIDENT of the US.
1) Technically, the secret service that needs to protect the president did a horrible job letting this happen. I would have expected the Iraqi to be shot even before taking off the second shoe. Notice how long it takes the agents to react!
2) People around the globe lost any respect for the US, the only superpower left (much of it because of G.W. Bush and his policies). Our economy is in shambles. The US industry that once was the mightiest and a symbol of western power is a joke and our currency scores no better. That would have been hard to believe in the recent past.

Again, the shoe throwing was a sad scene.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 PM

540 posts, read 629,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Schtyk, this is not a fantastic country. It's full of people like you. Luckily there are 4,000+ fewer today than in 2003 (the only silver lining in this war, incidentally.)

Your knowledge of history is about as deep as my four-year-old's. Your comprehension of right and wrong isn't quite as advanced.
I hope your four year old lives to be forty, because he is missing fantastic opportunities in the greatest country the world has known since the beginning of written human history. Sort of reminds me of growing up in a fanatical lifestyle, Amish, Taliban, Jonestown, that sort of thing. Whatever created in you this slanted, indeed dark perception of the truth, maybe it would be a good idea to leave your son to cultivate his own perceptions.
If you bang your head against the wall long enough maybe it will go away.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
What did the reporter think was going to happen? I'm not a die hard fan of President Bush or anything like that but he is still our president. I don't care for president-elect Obama but when takes the reign in January, I will give me the respect he deserves as this country's leader.

Is there evidence for this accusation? I've never heard of "http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081216140356.q96ebz36&show_article= 1" so something a little more credible would be helpful. The way I figure is, the news media would be salivating on this kind of news. Anything to put President Bush in a negative light they'll do so it seems.
FOX: FOXNews.com - Shoe-Thrower in Iraqi Military Custody, 'Suffering Broken Bones' - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
there are several articles from the UK and Australia
Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody' (BBC) - Democratic Underground

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,217,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
If yes? What punishment should fit the crime?

If No..please explain why.
No. Meting out some sort of punishment would simply turn him into a martyr.

Besides, everybody and their dog knows he would have been immediately executed if he'd done that to Saddam Hussein. Let's show the world that the "new regime" is different.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
I hope your four year old lives to be forty, because he is missing fantastic opportunities in the greatest country the world has known since the beginning of written human history.
Egads, you nationalists are no different than what we saw in the 1930's in Germany. History is repeating itself and even Russia is seeing a rise in nationalism. The winds of war flow on the backs of nationalist, flag waving nutjobs who take their divine inspiration from "God". Hitler always said it was "Providence" the attempts to kill him failed. He was doing "Gods work", after all. Just like we are doing in Iraq. Sarah Palin anybody?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 PM

540 posts, read 629,738 times
So tell me odannyboy Mr. genius one world order professor? Which part of the third world order do you envision best for the motherland? Remember to qualify in your response the high probability that there will be no gameboys in such a world!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So what on God's green earth gives you the idea it was okay to wage a disastrous war on false and deliberately misleading and alarmist claims of imminent threats to our security? It has caused over 5 years of utter mayhem, death, and civil war as a result, and that people like this reporter would not be outraged at the chief executive who ordered it?

This man, his supporters (21% of this country) and all who believed in their actions, are a disgrace not only to the United States, but the entire world.

WHY do people not understand that its not okay to kill other people based on a lie?

WHAT does that say about the rule of law when the President does it willfully, and without worry of arrest?
It is such a disgrace that this president was permitted to serve for 8 years. He is the cause of so much killing, much more than happened on 911, and he did not go after the culprits, but innocent people.

If he believed at all in the god he professes, he could not have done this.

He makes me ashamed of this country, as the entire world has wondered how we, the people, could have permitted this. Do we have a democracy if our president can act as such a dictator would?

Just the fact that this man was beaten up, and his bones broken, for throwing shoes, shows that there is no decent democracy and judicial system set up in Iraq. Unless they bring the police who beat him up to trial, too.
So this is the justice that Bush gave the Iraqi people. Sounds very much like that of Saddam, doesn't it?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
If yes? What punishment should fit the crime?
definitely. 2 years in solitary with 5000 pairs of disgustingly used gym socks as his only company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.