Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you least like to have as a next-door neighbor?
a quiet, homosexual male couple 12 8.63%
a big family (Mom, Dad, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and Grandma) 28 20.14%
a very sexually active, single heterosexual male 7 5.04%
an Evangelical Christian 37 26.62%
a female strip club dancer 8 5.76%
an atheist 3 2.16%
other 9 6.47%
I could be happy with any of them as my next-door neighbor 35 25.18%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I have to chuckle, because the fact that you were just kidding highlights an interesting transition in the way society sees gay people.

I've realized over the last couple of months (since Election Day) that there are lots of folks who simply don't care about someone's sexual orientation. It seems like a lot gays (myself included, until recently) still are very defensive about being gay, and as a result, have a "victim mentality" about it.

Yet, there are those who still really do not like gays, so sometimes it's not easy to tell if someone's kidding when they make a remark like you did. That's why it makes me laugh when I see that you're only joking.

After Prop. 8 passed in California, I read comments on here and on Craigslist from straight guys saying that they were "laughing at the gays". My first reaction was the usual one: They hate us! And they're laughing at us because we lost! But then when I saw more of their comments, I realized that a lot of them weren't laughing because "gays lost", they were laughing at some gays/protesters because they were acting as if they were about to be shipped off to a concentration camp! lol...

It's interesting - I think the "straight community" has made a lot more progress in accepting differences in sexual orientation than many gays realize.
I have absolutely no issue with being in their presence. I don't fear gays, or even care if they hit on me. I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality that if some gay guy jokingly starts rubbing my leg, I'm not going to go ape-**** insane. Heck I joke around with my gay friend all the time about male actors I want to screw (not literally, I just mess with him).

However, I will never accept gay marriage, especially if they tried to force it on the Catholic Church (my church). Civil unions? I'm more open to that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
However, I will never accept gay marriage, especially if they tried to force it on the Catholic Church (my church).
No church will EVER be forced to perform a gay marriage... unless they decide to start taking government funding, which I don't think is going to happen.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
However, I will never accept gay marriage, especially if they tried to force it on the Catholic Church (my church). Civil unions? I'm more open to that idea.
No problem. One big thing I've learned in all of this is that it's crazy to depend on others to validate our self-worth and self-esteem. Too many people (gay and otherwise) allow this to happen. It's not good for our health to do this.

As gizmo said, no one's going to force your church to marry anyone. Even now, churches don't have to marry anyone they don't want to marry, for whatever reason they choose.

The propaganda from the anti-same-sex marriage people that said churches will be "forced" to marry gay people was bullshlT.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:33 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
thank your buddy bush for your problems, not obama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
i hate filth.. and so far in maryland with millions of illegals moving here, its trash everywhere.. they just don't know what a trash can looks like.. so i would hate to live next to them..sorry i have to feel this way, but its true..

Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
I have absolutely no issue with being in their presence. I don't fear gays, or even care if they hit on me. I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality that if some gay guy jokingly starts rubbing my leg, I'm not going to go ape-**** insane. Heck I joke around with my gay friend all the time about male actors I want to screw (not literally, I just mess with him).

You sure you're not gay? I have no problem with that, but if you're gay just say it.

Quote:
It seems like a lot gays (myself included, until recently) still are very defensive about being gay, and as a result, have a "victim mentality" about it.
Yourself included? So you used to be gay? Can someone be gay and then change their sexual orientation? I guess there is a debate about that. If so, how did you do it?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
As long as they don't throw **** on my lawn and aren't too noisy (like that ******* who had a party of 200 people at his house and it took dozens of cops to clear out my street), I don't care.

Gay, straight, bi, family, couple, single, virgin, has sex with ten different people a day, atheist, Jew, Born-Again, Muslim, Buddhist, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever.

As long as we can tolerate each other as people and don't step on each other's toes too much.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You sure you're not gay? I have no problem with that, but if you're gay just say it.

Yourself included? So you used to be gay? Can someone be gay and then change their sexual orientation? I guess there is a debate about that. If so, how did you do it?
See, this is what I am talking about. Anytime someone does something out of the ordinary, people jump to the conclusion that oh he must be gay. No, I'm not gay. I just don't have any issue talking to gay people and joking around with them.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
See, this is what I am talking about. Anytime someone does something out of the ordinary, people jump to the conclusion that oh he must be gay. No, I'm not gay. I just don't have any issue talking to gay people and joking around with them.
What are you talking about? You definitely are doing something out of the ordinary; you are doing things that gay men would do. I talk to gay men all the time, and I even joke with them. I just don't make sexual jokes with them or play those types of physical games. I dunno, I'm just funny like that.......

Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM

174 posts, read 570,439 times
I'd have to go with other.

How about:
Overweight nudists
Bad garage band
Beginning bagpiper
Abandoned car collector
Burglar

Actually, except for the nudists and the burglar, I've lived next door to or been one of all of them. I was a beginning bagpiper and in a bad garage band, so I really can't complain about anybody else's noise. Oh, and I'm a lesbian witch and I have yappy dogs. Hmmm, maybe I should be one of the worst neighbor options! (don't worry, I'm out in the country now so I won't be bothering any of you!)

I had a drug dealer as a tenant for a while and, though I finally had to ask him to leave for fear they'd seize my house, he was a nice enough fellow. My gay boy former neighbors are wonderful folks and we still keep in touch. The Jehova's witnesses stopped dropping by when they came over in the middle of a ritual and we were all wearing robes. I think we scared them. And the guy who had a bunch of abandoned cars in his yard is as nice as they come, fixed my car for free, and would do anything he could for the rest of his neighbors.

I think that the worst neighbor I ever had was a wife beater. Lots of screaming, swearing and glass breaking. We called the police several times and she finally got an order of protection. But I loved the rest of her big noisy family.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Awhile back I lived in an apartment with a veeerrrrry poplar thirty-something guy for a next door neighbor. The master bedrooms backed up to each other and one of his girlfriends was a screamer.

Hands down, I'd rather have almost anybody else. At least the evangelicals, the atheists and the big families probably sleep at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies