Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Is that how things actually were in the depression? Yes, people had it rough - but they also demanded (and received) what is perhaps the single biggest expansion of the federal government in American history.

Some people demanded it but there was a great deal of resistance to the New Deal and it wasn't what brought us out of the depression.

WW2 brought us out of the depression, not the New Deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
The New Deal was extremely popular with Americans; that's why FDR was in office from 1933 to 1945 - he kept getting re-elected! And of course, few were clamoring the New Deal reforms to be undone after WWII, during the Truman administration.

I think the country in general is much more modernized and urbanized. When you grow up on a farm, for example, or in a rural area without many nearby conveniences, you rely upon yourself more to develop or procure what we'd call the "elements of survival" - food, your shelter, and so on.

It's no surprise that most Americans don't have those types of skills anymore. That just seems to be part of a fundamental shift in the way American life is lived in the modern age.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The New Deal was extremely popular with Americans; that's why FDR was in office from 1933 to 1945 - he kept getting re-elected! And of course, few were clamoring the New Deal reforms to be undone after WWII, during the Truman administration.

I think the country in general is much more modernized and urbanized. When you grow up on a farm, for example, or in a rural area without many nearby conveniences, you rely upon yourself more to develop or procure what we'd call the "elements of survival" - food, your shelter, and so on.

It's no surprise that most Americans don't have those types of skills anymore. That just seems to be part of a fundamental shift in the way American life is lived in the modern age.
Yep, once the barn door was opened on entitlements so to speak, it's tough to close it.

Also, back then there were very few people who were looking to get a free ride. Most used government assistance or charity as a last resort. It was shameful to receive pubic assistance. We kinda need to bring that mindset back.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgordon1 View Post
It's a racist term and you should be ashamed of using it.

Bill Cosby tells his people not to use certain words too. Do you think he's wrong?

What's with all the hatin' on Clint Eastwood? For chrissakes, he's an "actor" nothing more. He had some great movies like Heartbreak Ridge and Dirty Harry. You'd have to be un-American to not like those movies.

There is an insidious ageism which has crept into the PC crowd. And hatred of anything/anyone traditional about America. These punks, weaned on marxism through the government schools, now cavort an extreme leftist ideology and set of agendas which do not include anyone or any ideas outside their cult's tenets. They truly embrace Hollywood's leftist fruitcakes, and their millions.... I love ole Whoopi's famous comment in Color Purple: "Everything you done to me, already been done to you....". Nobody escapes.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
There is an insidious ageism which has crept into the PC crowd. And hatred of anything/anyone traditional about America. These punks, weaned on marxism through the government schools, now cavort an extreme leftist ideology and set of agendas which do not include anyone or any ideas outside their cult's tenets. They truly embrace Hollywood's leftist fruitcakes, and their millions.... I love ole Whoopi's famous comment in Color Purple: "Everything you done to me, already been done to you....". Nobody escapes.
LOL! You haven't read the OP, I take it? The OP by a raging rightie! Hollywood worship at it's best!!!! But maybe you're correct...if a celebrity is a righty repub , it's OK....but if they are Liberal Democrats than obviously they are evil Marxists with no right to free speech....have I got your message right????

Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Jesus, are you clueless? What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the very real effort of some feminists to emasculate men by making them passive and docile. I'm talking about the way our leaders (especially those ont he left) play the blame game and try and garner easy votes by handing out entitlements like welfare instead of challenging people to fix their own problems.

I'm talking about us as a nation becoming a bunch of crybabies and entitled wimps.

An entitled wimp can be a young, attractive woman or a large burly man or a Latino gay man or a Jewish, crossdressing, Korean amputee or a Irish Midget Catholic.

I'm not saying gay or soft spoken male = wimp or coward. You are seeing what you want to see in my posts.
And I'm telling you , you can take your disgusting insulting sexist BS and ....

No feminist can "emasculate" anyone.

You equate every weakness with women! How incredibly stupid. Women are not weak and spineless......there are WOMEN in IRAQ right now fighting for YOU !!!!!!!!

How DARE you call them spineless! How dare you say anyone who is weak is like a woman!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
LOL! You haven't read the OP, I take it? The OP by a raging rightie! Hollywood worship at it's best!!!! But maybe you're correct...if a celebrity is a righty repub , it's OK....but if they are Liberal Democrats than obviously they are evil Marxists with no right to free speech....have I got your message right????

Well, I am not sure you have got the message right. This post is not coherent enough to make a determination.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgordon1 View Post
It's a racist term and you should be ashamed of using it.

Bill Cosby tells his people not to use certain words too. Do you think he's wrong?
Redneck is absolutely not a racist term. Don't believe me? OK, I'll prove it.

Can you imagine someone calling any of the following people rednecks?

Alan Alda
Martin Amis
Ben Bernanke
Stephen Colbert
Ann Dunham
Steve Forbes
David Frum
Stephan Jenkins
Garrison Keillor
Caroline Kennedy
Neil Peart
Fred Rogers
Mitt Romney
Robert Shapiro
Charlie Sheen
Martha Stewart

Case closed.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
These punks, weaned on marxism through the government schools, now cavort an extreme leftist ideology and set of agendas which do not include anyone or any ideas outside their cult's tenets.
Do you have any idea what Marxism is? Or do you just like using big words you heard on Michael Savage?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Mr. Eastwood is absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies