Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the stimulus proposal made by Congressman Gohmert.

"There is currently "$350 billion of the $700 billion bailout still available to Paulson pending Congressional approval."

"According to American Solutions, a conservative think tank founded by former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, Americans pay $101.6 billion per month in personal income tax and $65.6 billion per month in FICA tax."

"Gohmert is currently preparing a bill to declare the tax holiday for January and February of 2009 and is also gathering support at the same time. He said, “We can save more home mortgages, increase employment, and boost economic growth for a lower price tag with this plan than with any centralized bureaucratic program, all by giving the power back to the taxpayers. I am demanding that not another penny goes to executive bailouts, but these billions of taxpayer dollars should go to the taxpayers who earned them."

"Americans could take and invest their own money where they believe it should go - to paying down mortgages, buying a new car, making credit card payments. The economy would get relief where it is needed the most. Why try to decide how to prevent foreclosures? Just give taxpayers their own money to catch up on their payments. Those in lower income brackets who are hit the hardest by the FICA tax would see huge money back, and then THEY could choose who should benefit from their hard earned money. Even the self-employed and small business owners would receive a fantastic amount of their own much-needed money, and they will be able to invest that back into their businesses and even create the ability to hire more people.”
Press Release from the Office of Congressman Louie Gohmert - 1st District of Texas (http://gohmert.house.gov/Article.aspx?NewsID=1355 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically a stimulis is only a short term help as will a tax holiday. In the end both must be paid for in the future.It will in the end be paid for with interest in the future by hiogher taxces or reduced spending . Probably both. Then you also have top realise that governamnnt is going to have shortfalls in revenruses in the near future too as the corp[orations and irch who pay bt far the largest share of taxes will be making less reprotable income.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,335,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the stimulus proposal made by Congressman Gohmert.

"There is currently "$350 billion of the $700 billion bailout still available to Paulson pending Congressional approval."

"According to American Solutions, a conservative think tank founded by former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, Americans pay $101.6 billion per month in personal income tax and $65.6 billion per month in FICA tax."

"Gohmert is currently preparing a bill to declare a tax holiday for January and February of 2009 and is also gathering support at the same time. He said, “We can save more home mortgages, increase employment, and boost economic growth for a lower price tag with this plan than with any centralized bureaucratic program, all by giving the power back to the taxpayers. I am demanding that not another penny goes to executive bailouts, but these billions of taxpayer dollars should go to the taxpayers who earned them."

"Americans could take and invest their own money where they believe it should go - to paying down mortgages, buying a new car, making credit card payments. The economy would get relief where it is needed the most. Why try to decide how to prevent foreclosures? Just give taxpayers their own money to catch up on their payments. Those in lower income brackets who are hit the hardest by the FICA tax would see huge money back, and then THEY could choose who should benefit from their hard earned money. Even the self-employed and small business owners would receive a fantastic amount of their own much-needed money, and they will be able to invest that back into their businesses and even create the ability to hire more people.”
Press Release from the Office of Congressman Louie Gohmert - 1st District of Texas (http://gohmert.house.gov/Article.aspx?NewsID=1355 - broken link)
: ponders deeply : Just as in life, if a deal sounds too good to be true, then something is wrong with that deal. What would I be endangering, risking or giving up to enjoy my 2 month tax holiday?

: talks to himself for a moment : As a responsible Christian (value system), my duty is to the innocent children and the elderly.

How would my holiday impact the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid? Would my holiday affect the Safety net programs (SSI, food stamps, school meals, programs for abused children, etc.)?

And my next concern would be the effect on Military, Public Education, Benefits for Veterans, etc. Could I enjoy my tax holiday if any of these things are adversely affected? I know I could not.

Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go?

Now if I am asked if I believe Rep. Louie Gohmert's assertions that people would spend and stimulate the economy, I would say no. He also knows that's not true with the last stimulus package mailed to the populace. People tend to save when insecure about home and job. Also they tend to pay bills which would not stimulate the economy.

Therefore to find commonality with Rep. Gohmert, I would have to have a meeting of minds on another level. He states, "Why try to decide how to prevent foreclosures? Just give taxpayers their own money to catch up on their payments."

I find that assertion simplistic, if not for the simple reason that poor people have very little taxes given to the government and any FICA taken from their checks surely couldn't catch them up on lapsed mortgage payments. That is also true for the middle class. So knowing he knows this, I suspect this isn't his motivation.

Going back to the beginning of the article, he states "We need to give this money to the people who earned it. I am sick of Washington millionaires (Senate, Paulson?) trying to decide which of their cronies (Wall Street?) should get the next wad of taxpayer money,"

So the resentment is toward Wall Street. Will my tax holiday solve the problem of bankers bailouts? And the answer is no. In fact, the bankers are holding to the bailout (funds) because they can't get rid of CDOs on their balance sheets. There are no guarantees that small businesses would spend any relief funds they have either.

washingtonpost.com (link from UpperPeninsulaRon in another Thread)

So at a time like this, my tax holiday does not solve the problem and, in fact, would exacerbate conditions in the country toward a possible depression. At present we still have post office, forestry and land management, and the multitude of federal services extended to our neighbors and our state.

Also while the majority of working people are enjoying their two-month holiday, the wealthier inhabitants are finding ways to move large sums of money from off-shore, sell stocks, and all properties to avoid paying taxes. This would be devastating for the market and the economy.

If I were in the service of a foreign global business, I would push this idea since it presents a great scenario for guaranteeing future economic weakness, which would allow me to further exploit policy making in Washington, D.C. America would need me (China, Saudi Arabia, Japan, etc.) to buy more debt thru bonds, and future policy creation would benefit me overwhelmingly.

So as a Christian Patriot, I would have to decline Rep. Gohmert's seemingly benevolent offer. Maybe I'd find it a little too "Keynesian".

"... if the poorer segments of society are given sums of money, they will likely spend it, rather than save it, thus promoting economic growth."

A simple explanation of Keynesian Economics.
What is Keynesian Economics?

More Advanced History of Keynesian Economics.
Keynesian economics: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 12-17-2008 at 09:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM

In this day and age, it is imperative to examine a Congressman's voting record in order to understand his/her previous foundation (values and alliances).

Regarding Rep. Gohmert's record, here are topics that have present day consequences, from two sources, one nonpartisan and the other nonpartisan/progressive. You can go between the two and come to your own conclusions.

On Free Trade:
  • Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru. (Nov 2007)
  • Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to globalization. (Oct 2007)
  • Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade. (Jul 2005)
Louie Gohmert on Free Trade

On Jobs:
  • Voted YES on overriding presidential veto of Farm Bill. (Jun 2008)
  • Voted NO on restricting employer interference in union organizing. (Mar 2007)
  • Voted NO on increasing minimum wage to $7.25. (Jan 2007)
Louie Gohmert on Jobs

On Foreign Policy:
  • Voted NO on deterring foreign arms transfers to China. (Jul 2005)
  • Voted YES on reforming the UN by restricting US funding. (Jun 2005)
  • Keep sanctions against Syria until WMDs are dismantled. (May 2007)
Louie Gohmert on Foreign Policy

On the Budget and Economy:
  • Voted NO on defining "energy emergency" on federal gas prices. (Jun 2008)
  • Voted NO on revitalizing severely distressed public housing. (Jan 2008)
  • Voted NO on regulating the subprime mortgage industry. (Nov 2007)
Louie Gohmert on Budget & Economy

Lastly, a progressive-nonpartisan rating/perspective of Gohmert's voting record as it affects the middle class.

Voting Record:

Louis Gohmert (R-TX) | TheMiddleClass.org

All links provide a means of a deeper examination of topics that either directly or indirectly affect present-day economics (Gohmert's stimulus package).

Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
I doubt this would ever get implemented. Come March when the American public has to have their taxes taken out of their checks we'd see a revolt.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
This is an interesting graphic on the bailout money - amounts apportioned where, how much has been spent so far.

"The data for this graphic were gathered from a variety of sources, including the Federal Reserve, The Big Money, and CNBC. Some editorial judgment went into deciding which lending programs and federal guarantees to include in the chart; for example, we don't include total FDIC backing of financial institutions, which the very highest estimates typically do. As these loans are repaid (and new short-term loans are offered), some dollar amounts will fluctuate."

An interactive guide to the bailout trillions. - By Chris Wilson and Karim Bardeesy - Slate Magazine

Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is an interesting graphic on the bailout money - amounts apportioned where, how much has been spent so far.

"The data for this graphic were gathered from a variety of sources, including the Federal Reserve, The Big Money, and CNBC. Some editorial judgment went into deciding which lending programs and federal guarantees to include in the chart; for example, we don't include total FDIC backing of financial institutions, which the very highest estimates typically do. As these loans are repaid (and new short-term loans are offered), some dollar amounts will fluctuate."

An interactive guide to the bailout trillions. - By Chris Wilson and Karim Bardeesy - Slate Magazine
: goes to link, examines what's been traced and softly gasps : Delusianne Delusianne Delusianne... what did you just reveal... what did Slate just reveal...

This is worthy of its own thread for a ... : thinks better of it :

: looks at Delusianne : You once helped me more than you would ever know regarding McCain. For that I will not be totally silent and just let this article you posted die a silent death without recognition from me.

Since this thread is about Rep. Gohmert's Stimulus package, I can legitimately duck responsibly answering or adding a thing or two to the article posted. I shouldn't encourage any further examination of this article but I will say, if anyone still believes that "capitalism", "supply and demand", "free market", and "let the market decide" are the arbiters of what multinational corporation lives, dies, or does, then they should ignore this article and any article like it.

Your article gives clues to any investigative mind; scratch a little behind any of the names given (TSLF for instance) and you might find a host of top private equity firms (global firms representing global business tribes) with ties to the Fed, the Treasury, Foreign governments, and policy making in Congress. I'll tell you up front this is dangerous business. The Matrix is Real.

All in all, though it is off-topic, excellent job bringing this article to the fore.

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 12-19-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies