Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times

Advertisements

It cost way to mich money to raise lions ,tigers for food not to mention the difficulty involved in space . Its not like they are herding animals.

Zebras would work and see no reason why not though imagine its just easier and actual profit raising cattle ,chickens as even Bison hasnt caught on IMO bit to tough ,meat bit dry compared to cows.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
You could go to Nairobi and try The Carnivore. They feature all sorts of exotic meats on the menu. Giraffe burgers, anyone?

Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi Kenya ,Dinner at Carnivore Restaurant for game meat after Nairobi excursion tours or safari - Nairobi Restaurants

Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
No.

I have an uncle who owns a restaurant in Philadelphia, and he serves a few more wilder animals like bear meat and alligator meat. But to me, it isn't enough. I feel as though I won't be satisfied until I try them all. Penguins, blue whales, chimpanzees, I just want to eat them all. Lion steak? Oh my gosh... so delicious (in theory).

lol I hope you get your chance

Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
No.

I have an uncle who owns a restaurant in Philadelphia, and he serves a few more wilder animals like bear meat and alligator meat. But to me, it isn't enough. I feel as though I won't be satisfied until I try them all. Penguins, blue whales, chimpanzees, I just want to eat them all. Lion steak? Oh my gosh... so delicious (in theory).
What is the name of the restaurant? I'll try it on my next trip to Philly.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What is the name of the restaurant? I'll try it on my next trip to Philly.
Give me a few hours. The guy is actually my dads cousin and we've been there once but it was quite a few years back, so I'll have to ask my dad later on. I do know they serve bear meat, because one time my dad had him ship some over to our house and it was delicious.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Generally speaking, edible meats are from grain/grass fed animals.
Lions,tigers and such are not and importing and breeding them for food would be cost prohibitive.
Many different creatures, even carnivores ....alligators, for instance,are eaten in certain areas of the US and haven't gained in popularity due to taste or tenderness and, yes, in some cases, societal prejudice.
I doubt I will ever be convinced to try grubs and just think what a cheap and easy to raise source of protein that would be!
I've personally had alligator and kangeroo and have no desire for more. Maybe it was just badly prepared?
Bear was scrumptious!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
It's a serious question. I don't understand the social stigma behind eating exotic wildlife. Gorilla meat, panda bear meat, polar bear meat, caribou meat, it all probably tastes great and exotic, and we are missing out on some good meals. But because society deems it unacceptable, I will never get the chance to try these fine meats.
You really haven't thought out the economics of the situation.

Stop and think about what it would cost to raise 50 polar bears vs. 50 cows.
A number of other meats do indeed, taste BAD, especially stringy predator types.

You actually CAN get those types of meat if you want...some are more regional things and there just isn't enough demand for widespread distribution.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I sure hope you get permission from the cow's owner first!!!!!! I would be majorly pissed off if I walked out on my porch and saw you out in MY field with your face buried in one of my cows asses...we don't go for that stuff around here mister.......
Have you considered this from the cow's viewpoint -she may not be able to stop similing for days?

Anyway, when you think about it, why is it ok to eat a pig that lives in filthy conditions and, say, not a cleaner animal - say a cat (ALF??) or a dog? Economics will work itself out - fish eggs are expensive but some will pay a lot for them. So, social stigma is the real issue. Dogs are eaten in certain parts of the world but it is the society that dictates it. Personaly, I eat veggies 95% of the time but am all for letting the taste buds be the decider of our freedom to eat - we are atop the food chain and that should count for somthing.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-18-2008 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Ask and ye shall receive:

Lion Meat - Buy Lion Meat - Lion Bone In Rib Eye Steaks - Lion Bone In Loin Chops (http://brentwoodtradinggroup.com/limelire.html - broken link)

Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Well....I guess there's one good reason why "we" aren't eating lion. The price!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies