Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times

Advertisements

Make no mistake, one day diesel will be $5.00/gal again. It may be a year it may be longer, it may be like the Second Coming, but given that oil is a finite resource and given that two (count 'em) major economies (China, India) are about to hit the petro curve simultaneously it will be sooner, rather than later that Americans are going to have to face inflationary oil prices again. Will it be like it was a few months ago whining, crying, stealing gas and posting angry rants in City-Datalike websites? Or will it be with a plan. Across the street from me is one of three park 'n ride lots. SUV's and Pickups outnumber any other kind of vehicle 4:1. All have been driven by single commuters going into Portland for the day. Some of them are actually duallies but I have never seen a Ridgeline out here just giant Silverado's and other big, really big American trucks and SUV's. It's not sustainable folks. It is not sustainable.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Make no mistake, one day diesel will be $5.00/gal again. It may be a year it may be longer, it may be like the Second Coming, but given that oil is a finite resource and given that two (count 'em) major economies (China, India) are about to hit the petro curve simultaneously it will be sooner, rather than later that Americans are going to have to face inflationary oil prices again. Will it be like it was a few months ago whining, crying, stealing gas and posting angry rants in City-Datalike websites? Or will it be with a plan. Across the street from me is one of three park 'n ride lots. SUV's and Pickups outnumber any other kind of vehicle 4:1. All have been driven by single commuters going into Portland for the day. Some of them are actually duallies but I have never seen a Ridgeline out here just giant Silverado's and other big, really big American trucks and SUV's. It's not sustainable folks. It is not sustainable.

H

The recent plunge in gas prices totally supports the argument that SPECULATION and CARTEL COERSION/MANIPULATION had a lot more to do with $147 dollar oil than simple supply/demand economics.

Prices fell by two thirds from $147/barrel to $45/barrel. Demand did not go down nearly as much. Worldwide demand was nicked maybe 10% at most. What accounts for that difference? Hint - (((speculation))) sshhhhh

Didn't it ever occur to anyone that simple human factors such as greed, manipulation, and outright hatred for the west might have caused oil prices to be what they were. Doomsday prophets had to think of a way to undermine rural folks who don't conform to their radical social and economic beliefs, so they told them that all the cars (and trucks) they drive are obsolete. That they are ruining the world by driving big trucks. Hollywood and Manhattan were all too quick to jump on this chic new bandwagon. At least for now, this bandwagon of cool kids seems stuck in mud.

Last edited by cuba libre; 01-02-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
I've never heard it being disparaged and I know lots of ranchers and farmers around here, who happen to drive some huge trucks that they actually USE for their ranch....but we don't get snow around here, so nobody plows driveways here...oh and the ranch/farm repub to demo ratio around here is probably more like 50-50.
But hey
it's California...yeah but we only farm just a tiny bit here

Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I've never heard it being disparaged and I know lots of ranchers and farmers around here, who happen to drive some huge trucks that they actually USE for their ranch....but we don't get snow around here, so nobody plows driveways here...oh and the ranch/farm repub to demo ratio around here is probably more like 50-50.
But hey
it's California...yeah but we only farm just a tiny bit here
California is a huge farming state; too bad they flood the country with crappy produce during the winter months. The farmers of Kali-Fornia should wise up, the liberal-ness of their state os going to run it into the ground ...cough....$44 billion....cough..... dollar deficit...

Old 01-02-2009, 04:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
California is a huge farming state; too bad they flood the country with crappy produce during the winter months. The farmers of Kali-Fornia should wise up, the liberal-ness of their state os going to run it into the ground ...cough....$44 billion....cough..... dollar deficit...
Of course I know California's a huge farming state... (sarcasm just doesn't work online all the time now does it, even with smilies, go figure)
California's produce dominance is not some vast conspiracy but a natural result of modern history.

Eat local & eat seasonal that should help your palate.

The distance from organic farm to table is ridiculously short for me, I am darn lucky to live in your mythical land of liberal evilness!

Happy eating!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Thank you! I support local, definitely. Congrats for being the China of produce. Now back to my OP... What do you think of this?

Quote:
The recent plunge in gas prices totally supports the argument that SPECULATION and CARTEL COERSION/MANIPULATION had a lot more to do with $147 dollar oil than simple supply/demand economics.

Prices fell by two thirds from $147/barrel to $45/barrel. Demand did not go down nearly as much. Worldwide demand was nicked maybe 10% at most. What accounts for that difference? Hint - (((speculation))) sshhhhh

Didn't it ever occur to anyone that simple human factors such as greed, manipulation, and outright hatred for the west might have caused oil prices to be what they were. Doomsday prophets had to think of a way to undermine rural folks who don't conform to their radical social and economic beliefs, so they told them that all the cars (and trucks) they drive are obsolete. That they are ruining the world by driving big trucks. Hollywood and Manhattan were all too quick to jump on this chic new bandwagon. At least for now, this bandwagon of cool kids seems stuck in mud.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
I'm confused...what is the point of this thread?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I say, put a plow on the front of your big truck, and plow their driveway. This will send the requisite message.
That was funny.

But, a lot of people in my state do that cuz they are kind.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You don't see these comments as stupid in retrospect or at least since you've sobered up after making these posts???Especially the dumbass one that is highlighted?

Most repubs I know around here are little pencil necked geeks that work in retail or just sit around talking tough crap like in your posts.
BTW...I'd bet my farm this hillbilly has been farther under the porch looking for eggs than you've ever been or ever WILL be.Wanna bet???
If you get your head out of your butt,you can learn a lot from a hillbilly.
Hillbilly, sticking one's head up another's butt... looking under a porch for eggs...??? Boy you are a hillbilly!!!

Thanks for hijacking my thread...

Back to what I said...
Quote:

Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Guys, what is up with the name calling and ugliness???? Is it really necessary? I enjoyed reading the post til it got into all that garbage. Give it a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies