Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the judge right for jailing the woman because she would not take off her head scarf
Yes 52 49.52%
No 52 49.52%
I am not sure 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:26 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Idiot doesn't read story.
Idiot doesn't get that woman wasn't in court to disrupt it.
Idiot doesn't understand that expletive was uttered as woman was leaving and does not constitute 'cursing out'.
Idiot posts idiocy on internet forum.
Idiot thinks he makes cleaver post. Idiot is wrong because I did read story, I do understand that other idiot wasn't in court to disrupt it but did anyway, I do understand that using expletive is cursing, I agree that idiot (you) posts idiocy on internet forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:28 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Idiot thinks he makes cleaver post. Idiot is wrong because I did read story, I do understand that other idiot wasn't in court to disrupt it but did anyway, I do understand that using expletive is cursing, I agree that idiot (you) posts idiocy on internet forum.
Come on guys. This forum has RULES you agreed to. How is calling each other idiot back and forth that much different than this woman cussing out the bailiff (an action we all agree was wrong)? Ignore this kind of junk or report it.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Come on guys. This forum has RULES you agreed to. How is calling each other idiot back and forth that much different than this woman cussing out the bailiff? Ignore this kind of junk or report it.
You're right. I just violated the TOS. But I will not try to claim that my rights are being violated if the mods act within the rules to punish me. I could have let it go when Hoarfrost called me an idiot, but I didn't. Just like Lisa in our story could have removed her scarf, left, or obtain permission from the sheriff or judge to wear it, but she didn't.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
You're right. I just violated the TOS. But I will not try to claim that my rights are being violated if the mods act within the rules to punish me. I could have let it go when Hoarfrost called me an idiot, but I didn't. Just like Lisa in our story could have removed her scarf, left, or obtain permission from the sheriff or judge to wear it, but she didn't.
Lisa was trying to leave though. The bailiff wouldn't let her.

Taboo2 seems to have gone quiet on my direct question, so I'll ask it of you. Please tell me what law she broke before she was placed in handcuffs and dragged into the court room. In other words, what was the lawful reason for her detainment?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
I'm not saying she handled the situation well. If it were me, I would have calmly left, and then contacted a lawyer at the ACLU to pressure the Georgia courts on my behalf. However, as repugnant as her cussing at the bailiff was, it, nor anything else she did, warranted her being handcuffed and arrested. Period. The bailiff had no lawful reason to do so, and as such was an abuse of his authority. Her subsequent refusal to remove the headscarf and contempt conviction once actually in the court (against her own will) are made all the more worse by the circumstances under which these actions were brought against her.
[SIZE=3]I swore at a police officer when my friend was arrested bad ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]ACLU to defend woman cited for cursing her toilet <i><font color ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]West Side woman faces jail time for swearing at toilet <i><font ...[/SIZE]

Yes he had every right to arrest this woman. Whether she is prosecuted is another story.

I told you i've seen someone arrested for swearing at a cop.

It happens.

That is what lead to her being held in contempt because she then was in court with the scarf on.

It's all on the up and up unfortunately for her.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
taboo2 seems to have gone quiet on my direct question, so i'll ask it of you. Please tell me what law she broke before she was placed in handcuffs and dragged into the court room. in other words, what was the lawful reason for her detainment?

see above---> disorderly conduct.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
[SIZE=3]I swore at a police officer when my friend was arrested bad ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]ACLU to defend woman cited for cursing her toilet <i><font color ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]West Side woman faces jail time for swearing at toilet <i><font ...[/SIZE]

Yes he had every right to arrest this woman. Whether she is prosecuted is another story.

I told you i've seen someone arrested for swearing at a cop.

It happens.

That is what lead to her being held in contempt because she then was in court with the scarf on.

It's all on the up and up unfortunately for her.
Just because it happens doesn't make it either right or lawful. Again, let me ask what lawful reason did the bailiff have to detain her. I've been very specific by going to the source - the Georgia revised statutes. Please correct me if I'm wrong (because that's what you'll need to do to prove the detainment was aboveboard and legal), but where in the Georgia statures does it say it is unlawful to question the policy of a court or the command or a court officer and then utter a cuss word.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
see above---> disorderly conduct.
Um, try again. Here's the Georgia law for disorderly conduct.

§ 16-11-39. Disorderly conduct

(a) A person commits the offense of disorderly conduct when such person commits any of the following:

(1) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby such person is placed in reasonable fear of the safety of such person's life, limb, or health;

(2) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby the property of such person is placed in danger of being damaged or destroyed;

(3) Without provocation, uses to or of another person in such other person's presence, opprobrious or abusive words which by their very utterance tend to incite to an immediate breach of the peace, that is to say, words which as a matter of common knowledge and under ordinary circumstances will, when used to or of another person in such other person's presence, naturally tend to provoke violent resentment, that is, words commonly called "fighting words"; or

(4) Without provocation, uses obscene and vulgar or profane language in the presence of or by telephone to a person under the age of 14 years which threatens an immediate breach of the peace.

(b) Any person who commits the offense of disorderly conduct shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Lisa was trying to leave though. The bailiff wouldn't let her.

Taboo2 seems to have gone quiet on my direct question, so I'll ask it of you. Please tell me what law she broke before she was placed in handcuffs and dragged into the court room. In other words, what was the lawful reason for her detainment?
At the security checkpoint she was informed that headgear is not allowed in the court and that she would need to remove the scarf or leave the premises. Instead she chose to argue with bailiff and refused to remove the scarf or leave. She was disobeying an order of the court. Now I understand that your argument is that the security checkpoint is not part of court, but there are two responses to that. One, it doesn't matter. She disobeyed an order of the court and does not have to be in the courtroom proper to be in violation. Two, the statute says that one only need be near the court to found in contempt which the security checkpoint surely is.

I don't think Lisa was actually trying to leave until she realized that she was going to be arrested, by then its too late. If she had been trying to leave she could have easily done so. She wanted to argue and in the process of arguing hold up the line at the security checkpoint and give the bailiff a hard time.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:50 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What a fine example she set for her son to respect authority and the rules.
Respect for authority should be paramount provided it is respectable, but in this case did those with positions of responsibility behave well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies