Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the judge right for jailing the woman because she would not take off her head scarf
Yes 52 49.52%
No 52 49.52%
I am not sure 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I just read another account of this incident. He told her she would have to leave, couldn't enter the courtroom with the headscarf, she responded that she had previously been permitted to wear the headscarf in the court and started to leave while uttering the expletive. He then handcuffed her and took her to the judge--to resolve the issue of the headscarf--she was sentenced to 10 days in jail, released after 4 hrs. The National headquarters of a civil/human rights organization became involved. This woman had recently moved to GA from Connecticut and she worked in the insurance industry.

Any type of 'attitude' is frowned upon in the South and thus the extreme response.
I think the judge and the bailiff took it too far. I'm just trying to point out that there rules are there for safety purposes. Our judges are elected and appointed officials who keep the justice system running and they shouldn't be opened up to any threats for doing their jobs and providing a voice of reason in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I think the judge and the bailiff took it too far. I'm just trying to point out that there rules are there for safety purposes. Our judges are elected and appointed officials who keep the justice system running and they shouldn't be opened up to any threats for doing their jobs and providing a voice of reason in society.
I agree.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but here/GA in some courts people are explicitly told what is expected. She had been to court at least once before and had some frame of reference for the process, not to mention that from the article she appears to have a position of some responsibility/authority and to be an intelligent woman. Very bad decision on her part to provoke anyone connected to the court.

What can the outcome be?

-The judge will be told by ??? to allow headscarves. I don't think this is likely.
-The bailiff will be fired. I don't think this is likely either--some sort of administrative consequences, perhaps?
-The charges against the woman will be dismissed--very likely.

-Or years of litigation over the violation of civil rights could be forthcoming.

???

Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Um, wearing a shirt isn't a security threat? It wasn't about humiliation, the rules are the same in every court house, in every state. NO HEAD COVERINGS! But judges may use their discretion and make exceptions (like if someone has cancer and has a scarf on their head.

You are absolutely and totally wrong about that. Read the article:

Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said after they arrested her Tuesday.

Kelley Jackson, a spokeswoman for Georgia Attorney General Thurbert Baker, said state law doesn't permit or prohibit head scarfs.

"It's at the discretion of the judge
and the sheriffs and is up to the security officers in the court house to enforce their decision," she said.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Dang. When I first saw this story I thought it was just a case of a stupid woman getting herself charged with contempt. But this story is all over the political blogs, it's a moonbats vs. wingnuts talking points psing contest now. Unfortunatley for me I have chosen the wrong side. I still think the woman was a moron who got what she deserved but I am generally anti-government, or at least very limited government, politically and I hate to miss a chance to dump on the current bloated government.

So I am changing sides. I know that this is an unusual thing to do in a political thread but please bear with me. I am not joking.

The government is clearly incompetent and corrupt and this story just serves as an excellent example of the excesses and abuses of this government. We need complete reform of the entire government from President down. When jackbooted thugs like these can violate the rights of an American citizen we clearly have a responsibility to act against that government.

Last edited by Lucidus; 12-19-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Ga. judge jails Muslim woman over head scarf - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/muslim_headscarf_arrest;_ylt=AjQ2Bluab3QN6HU7fxiiL GVs.aF4 - broken link)
This woman did "not" have to be there - she went due to her nephew's traffic citations. WHY should she be exempt from the U.S. laws? She could be hiding something under that scarf. She doesn't like the laws here in the U.S. then leave!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:11 PM

33 posts, read 84,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Good for the judge........................
This in fact " is not good for the judge" For Muslim woman covering their hair is a reglious requirement. But,some choose not to and most chose to do it. Muslims who practice Islam are all over the world. I do not chose to cover my head in order to avoid ignorant people like this judge I am American born and raised by American born parents going back . We trace our American history back more than 4 generations from West Africa. If you know anything about West African history we were more than likely to have been Muslims before we were enslaved .

Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You are absolutely and totally wrong about that. Read the article:

Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said after they arrested her Tuesday.

Kelley Jackson, a spokeswoman for Georgia Attorney General Thurbert Baker, said state law doesn't permit or prohibit head scarfs.

"It's at the discretion of the judge
and the sheriffs and is up to the security officers in the court house to enforce their decision," she said.
Well then I'm speaking about California. The generally accepted rule here, and in every court as far as I know, is that head coverings be removed. It may not actually be a RULE, but it's a rule that almost all judges and bailiffs follow to some extent. Stop trying to make this something it isn't. It was made into something it shouldn't have been by the bailiff, the lady shouldn't have cussed at him, and the judge probably shouldn't have sentenced her to anything. I still stand by my assertion that the removal of head coverings in court provides for a safer environment.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Clever, but do you deny the possibility?
No.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
I still stand by my assertion that the removal of head coverings in court provides for a safer environment.

By that reasoning the removal of all clothing would make an even safer one.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:43 PM

659 posts, read 1,373,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jali887 View Post
This in fact " is not good for the judge" For Muslim woman covering their hair is a reglious requirement. But,some choose not to and most chose to do it. Muslims who practice Islam are all over the world. I do not chose to cover my head in order to avoid ignorant people like this judge I am American born and raised by American born parents going back . We trace our American history back more than 4 generations from West Africa. If you know anything about West African history we were more than likely to have been Muslims before we were enslaved .
With very great respect I've often wondered why Catholic women wear a hat in church but the men must not, is it the same with muslim people but not just in church?

If so we must expect situations like this one repeating themselves.

I was brought up a Catholic so my ignorance must be general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies