Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the judge right for jailing the woman because she would not take off her head scarf
Yes 52 49.52%
No 52 49.52%
I am not sure 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
With very great respect I've often wondered why Catholic women wear a hat in church but the men must not, is it the same with muslim people but not just in church?

If so we must expect situations like this one repeating themselves.

I was brought up a Catholic so my ignorance must be general.
Catholic women used to wear veils until Vatican II. Now they're not encouraged, let alone required. It's just sort of a moot point. But when I used to go to church occasionally I would see an elderly woman or two with veils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Catholic women used to wear veils until Vatican II. Now they're not encouraged, let alone required. It's just sort of a moot point. But when I used to go to church occasionally I would see an elderly woman or two with veils.
I must say I've not been to church for fifty years so not sure if women in the UK still have to wear a hat or not.

People over here were very religious once, wonder if Muslims will become like us as the years go by, if so troubles like this women has experienced will be a thing of the past?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
hopefully the cell has a place for her to wash her feet
I don't know what others told you about Muslims, but I want just to say that Muslims wash their feet 5 times a day. And another thing about Muslims, they use water to clean their bottoms and genitals after doing their, you know, things people do in the toilet.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
This thread has sparked my curiosity.
Do Catholic Nuns wearing a Habit have to remove same in a courtroom?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
This thread has sparked my curiosity.
Do Catholic Nuns wearing a Habit have to remove same in a courtroom?
Most nuns nowadays don't have to wear their habits. Those who do are those least likely to be found in a courtroom in the first place. So I'm wondering how that would work. The rule is ambiguous and it's up to the judge to use their discretion to make these decisions. But the woman with the scarf wasn't a nun. She just happened to be Muslim. If someone happened to be Catholic and was wearing a veil that's different than an actual "Holy Person." Plus no one expects nuns to do anything bad whereas this woman was cussing at the bailiff which a nun would be unlikely to do.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Plus no one expects nuns to do anything bad whereas this woman was cussing at the bailiff which a nun would be unlikely to do.
Nuns have got up to tricks too you know at least on this side of the pond, one famous nun gave up being a nun and became a prostitute.

People were very keen to read her life story.

So I would not read anything sinister into this woman wanting to wear her head scarf.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:03 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
I think the point is that the face is covered, and the judge cannot see who he's talking to.
I'm all about civil rights but I'm sorry, when in rome do as the romans. If i was a woman and rolled up to iran, It would be expected for me to be covered with all that ridiculous cloth, or I would face punishment or even violence. It's not about an attack on her faith, its about civil discourse in a court of law in this country. The court has every right to be aware of the identity of the person entering the court house. If they cannot check your face out, then perhaps you shouldn't be going to the court house.. that is why they have it all online unless of course you've broken the law.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
She was wearing a head scarf, NOT a burqa.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
What I really want to know is when did the Moslems become the Muslims all of a sudden? Eh?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
When jackbooted thugs like these can violate the rights of an American citizen we clearly have a responsibility to act against that government.
This jack-booted thug didn't just violate her rights, he sentenced her to jail for ten days, which used to be a recourse more or less restricted to criminals. Have you ever been in jail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies