Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I have encountered a few Black people named Jesus - and they pronounced it "Hey-Zeus" if I remember correctly. I also believe they were Cuban/Afro-Caribbean, which would explain the Spanish pronunciation. Why are you asking? Just sheer curiosity?
I am curious. maybe it would be a nice name for a baby. Not mine though.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you know any Hispanic kids named Billy Joe?
No but I knew some named Raymond Diaz and Michael Santos

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
shoot--- there were times when i thought it was my name (s. side chicago), jesus christ will you kids stop that rackette on the roof. get down from there.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Okay, nobody has clarified as to why Hispanics name their kids Jesus, and white kids don't.

In Spanish culture, you name your child Jesus as homage to God. You are honoring God by doing this.

In Polish, Irish, other Catholic cultures it is seen more as "We aren't worthy of naming our children after the son of God." Really, it's just a difference of opinion within Catholicism.

And as for the pronunciation? It's due to the phonetics of the Spanish language.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Out of curiosity, in which language and/or culture is this true? Jesse is also a Biblical name, but it hasn't got anything to do with Jesus (which happens to be a Greek corruption of his actual name, Joshua). Jesse was David's father.
Believe it or not, I was going by what I remember of Latin. Anyways, Jesse is the US is a variant of Jesus (Mexico, Spain, Latin America, etc.), but also which is Hebrew and pronounced "Jee zus." The meaning of this name is: God rescues. The Hebrew feminine form is Jesusa.

Then, "Jessenia" is the same name (Jesse), but Arabic (for a girl).

Another "Jesse" variant is the Hebrew "Josiah," which means: The Lord saves.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-19-2008 at 11:41 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Okay, nobody has clarified as to why Hispanics name their kids Jesus, and white kids don't.

In Spanish culture, you name your child Jesus as homage to God. You are honoring God by doing this.

In Polish, Irish, other Catholic cultures it is seen more as "We aren't worthy of naming our children after the son of God." Really, it's just a difference of opinion within Catholicism.

And as for the pronunciation? It's due to the phonetics of the Spanish language.
Maybe because most people have no idea that Jesus isn't just a "Spanish of Mexican origin" name, but Hebrew? But could it also be because most people don't have knowledge of words' roots or origin? By noticing how a word or name is written (spelled), I can tell most of the time what the word is similar to as long as its roots is related to Latin (English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, etc.).

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-19-2008 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

This is along the lines of what I was told when I was a kid. My mom's family was Catholic. Mary and Joseph were names of the patron saints. Using the name 'Jesus' was considered disrespectful because there was only one God and Jesus was made in God's image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.