Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Arabia, if a person actually steals your perperty, their hand can be cut off after a proper trial and they receive due process. In America, if someone is on your property and you suspect that they might intend to steal something, it's perfectly all right for you to shoot to kill without asking any questions. Remimd me, again---who is it that has a screwed up sense of justice?
Not even close. One must be able to demonstrate that the invader posed a threat in most states... Being on your property alone is not good enough. Being inside ones home would justify self defence. A law I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Would you be peeved if someone voted to invalidate your marriage?
Considering the fact that I'm flying solo, there's nothing there for them to invalidate.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
The US Government is also closely alligned with the Arab world when it come to the death penalty also. The rest of the civilized world has abolished the death penalty.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not even close. One must be able to demonstrate that the invader posed a threat in most states... Being on your property alone is not good enough. Being inside ones home would justify self defence. A law I agree with.
In Texas and Florida, and probably some other states, trespassing is considered prima facie evidence of intent to commit a crime.

Nevertheless in Arabia, the cutting off of a hand is, in very rare circumstances, provided for as the penalty for theft, but only after a due process that is not unlike our own. Furthermore, perjury is considered a crime equal to the one about which one perjures oneself, so if you accuse a person of theft, and his hand is cut off, and it can be subsequently shown that it was a false accusation, you get your hand cut off. There is not very much perjury. I am always amazed at how shocking such punishments are seen by people who live in a country with capital punishment. I wonder if there woud be fewer people on death row if every person who perjured himself to help convict a person in a capital trial could be executed for false accusation.

In short, there is, in Arabia, a legal system that guarantees due process, and people are not rounded up and executed in the square willy nilly. Everybody knows what is against the law and what the peanlties are, as my conservative American flagweaver law-and-order friends like to tell me, if you have done nothing wrong, what do you have to worry about?

Last edited by jtur88; 12-19-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In short, there is, in Arabia, a legal system that guarantees due process, and people are not rounded up and executed in the square willy nilly. Everybody knows what is against the law and what the peanlties are, as my conservative American flagweaver law-and-order friends like to tell me, if you have done nothing wrong, what do you have to worry about?
The answer to the question you pose is simple...it's "stomach". There's no doubt about it, the losing of a hand would cause one to think twice about theft. One writer a few years ago said that in the Riyadh Airport, a tourist..or anyone else...could leave an expensive camera or laptop on a waiting-room bench, take off for an hour or two, and come back to find his belongings RIGHT WHERE they'd been left.....hmmmm...I wonder why?

Nevertheless, I still say the reason we don't do that here is "stomach". Most Americans (myself included), angry as we get at crime and criminals, simply wouldn't have the 'stomach' to live in a society where minor criminals..or even felons...are amputated, castrated, beaten, or even caned. We get MAD...but we wouldn't want that...(most of us, at least).

I DO agree that if this ever became the practice....and once it 'sunk in' to the crooks..we'd see a dramatic drop in crime. I just don't think we could do that, as a culture.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Would you be peeved if someone voted to invalidate your marriage?
First one, not a bit.

This one, you bet.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,123 times
what gays? dude, we are talking about gays here. i believe if a man go to another man what he can get from a woman, that he should be kill. thats my opinion.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Nor should we. This isn't a national issue. It is a states issue. The citizens of each state have the right to make their own laws. Sex isn't mentioned at all in the Constitution. Because of the 10th Amendment, the issue becomes a state issue for each state's legislature to deal with as they so choose.
No. It's a Civil Rights issue. Homosexuality isn't about "sex," any more than heterosexuality is about "sex."

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul2009 View Post
what gays? dude, we are talking about gays here. i believe if a man go to another man what he can get from a woman, that he should be kill. thats my opinion.
Are you INSANE? You can't go around KILLING people simply because you don't like the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. Not if you're a civilized human being.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Now show me in the constitution where it says that homosexuality is a right. Notice that the other rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights specifically say that congress shall make no law about these things.

Freedom of Speech, yes
Freedom of press, yes
Freedom of Religion, yes
Freedom of assembly, yes
Right to bear arms, yes
Jury trial, yes
Right to stick your private parts in areas that nature did not intend. Nowhere to be found.

Once again, it is a state issue, and the states themselves have every right to regulate such behavior, or not to, depending on the individual state's legislature and people.
Show me in the Constitution where it says that heterosexuality is a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies