Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I'm sure you are grateful that your parents weren't worried about overpopulation when they had you.
Always one of my favorite arguments: having a child means that you aren't concerned with overpopulation. Or that you don't support abortion rights. Sometimes both. Clue for those who need one: many people's parents were and still are concerned with overpopulation and fully support abortion rights, and were and did so during the entire time that they once carried this person to term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Get over yourself. Seriously. In case you missed it, I changed my opinion not a page later after I saw that they all weren't on welfare.
OK so if I correctly understand position You suggest only people on welfare should be steralized

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar of Tontitown, Ark., had their eighteenth child Thursday – Jordyn-Grace Makiya, who joins the rest of her J-named siblings.

Jordyn-Grace was born via C-section at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers, weeks before her due date of Jan. 1. She weighed in at 7 lbs, 3 oz and was 20 inches long.

Duggar Family Welcomes 18th (!) Child - Babies : People.com
I wonder if they (Jim Bob and Michelle) have figured out yet what's causing her to have these kids

Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Just what the earth DOESN'T need: another kid.
True, and I don't see anything to warrant this thread in politics and other controversies.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
True, and I don't see anything to warrant this thread in politics and other controversies.
Look at the number of responses to this thread.

You don't believe it is not "controversial"????

Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Look at the number of responses to this thread.

You don't believe it is not "controversial"????
Well, if you look at the fundamentals, someone spread her legs 18 times (sorry, but that is how this happens and not to be crude), which is not exactly a controversy. Happens all the time. Woohoo!

And there are lots of American Idol viewers too. Woohoo!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Do I think it's kinda creepy the way they keep bringing more and more human beings into the world as a living advertisement of their Quiverfull movement?
Yes.
However, her reproductive decisions are none of my business.
Mrs. Duggar can and should do whatever she likes with her body.
I just hope nothing happens to the main breadwinner, Mr. Duggar.
They have a lot of mouths to feed.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
People ask how does a large family affect others.

I feel it everyday when I walk outside and it is 80 degrees plus humidity.

When there is an alert that the air isn't clean enough for the day and to be cautious

When I have to sit in traffic just to get a few miles

When there are no trees for miles just buildings and where there are trees those are getting cut down for more buildings or a trash dump since all the land fills are being filled

Oh and BTW Mr.Duggar seems very controlling. I bet when those camera's get turned off the belt comes out and everyone gets it including Mrs.Duggar.

I don't know about the last statement, but otherwise I agree with what you wrote completely. Beyond which, our natural resources are being so depleted that nations already are at war over them (including us.) Foreign diseases are certain to become pandemic due to overpopulated breeding grounds and antibiotics that are losing their effectiveness that much faster....And the garbage. What about the garbage? We already are experiencing inexplicable red tide on our shores and toxic run off that invades our drinking water. Speaking of water, where will the necessary clean drinking water come from? Talk to anyone in Colorado and ask if water is not already a major concern there.

...How anyone can be so narrow minded as to think that overpopulation is only "Africa's problem" is beyond me.

I don't care how much money they have. Adding that many more people to a planet that is already stressed and forever altered ( our reefs are almost gone as are our rain forests) is narcissistic and irresponsible. They love children? Great. Have a few and adopt 10 or 12.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I They love children? Great. Have a few and adopt 10 or 12.
Like these people
They had 4 and adopted 16!

ABC News: How to Manage a Family of 22

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-20-2008, 10:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I don't know about the last statement, but otherwise I agree with what you wrote completely. Beyond which, our natural resources are being so depleted that nations already are at war over them (including us.) Foreign diseases are certain to become pandemic due to overpopulated breeding grounds and antibiotics that are losing their effectiveness that much faster....And the garbage. What about the garbage? We already are experiencing inexplicable red tide on our shores and toxic run off that invades our drinking water. Speaking of water, where will the necessary clean drinking water come from? Talk to anyone in Colorado and ask if water is not already a major concern there.

...How anyone can be so narrow minded as to think that overpopulation is only "Africa's problem" is beyond me.

I don't care how much money they have. Adding that many more people to a planet that is already stressed and forever altered ( our reefs are almost gone as are our rain forests) is narcissistic and irresponsible. They love children? Great. Have a few and adopt 10 or 12.
Did I miss something?
Are the Duggar's promoting that everybody should follow their example and have as many kids as they can?
I'd bet if you compared the uses of this family and their direct effect on the planet with a one kid family in some 4000 sq ft McMansion in Arizona with an irrigation system for their previous desert-like 1/2 acre lawn, 3 cars (one SUV as a given) you won't find as much to fault them for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies