Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm all for civil unions and domestic partnerships.
The heteros can have marriage. Just give me the same benefits, rights, etc.
I agree. However, the militant, activist gays have an agenda to encroach upon traditional marriage in order to make it easier to teach, preach that homosexuality is A-ok. Some people don't think so, and don't want their children being taught that it is OK.

So far, the majority population of the country agrees - since in every state it has come up for a vote, the ban has passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Churches will be forced to marriage or face discrimination charges. Which was the actual push behind this the whole time which was to bully churches into submission. The next one will be hospitals and doctors who are forced to do abortions or again face discrimination charges.
Whatever you say, Mac. Enjoy being wrong, I guess.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I agree. However, the militant, activist gays have an agenda to encroach upon traditional marriage in order to make it easier to teach, preach that homosexuality is A-ok. Some people don't think so, and don't want their children being taught that it is OK.
So what about the kids who do turn out gay? You think it's fine to teach them that they're bad people, or freaks?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
So what about the kids who do turn out gay? You think it's fine to teach them that they're bad people, or freaks?
Not bad people or freaks - it is the act, not the person. They need to be taught that it is not a natural thing. Sorry.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Not bad people or freaks - it is the act, not the person. They need to be taught that it is not a natural thing. Sorry.
...which leads to gay bashing, taunting, isolation, emotional and psychological problems for the gay kids, estrangement from families, suicide, violence...

It's sad that you want to see some people treated like that.

Must be great to wake up as a hetero every day, not having to question who you are, or whether or not people approve of you.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's sad that you want to see some people treated like that.
I don't. In fact, I'd like them to be treated like any other person, however the militant gay activist give all gays a black eye. They need to stop trying to shove it down peoples throats.

I wish they were all like my former dressage coach - in fact I had no idea he was gay until the other ladies told me. It made no difference to me. He was a beautiful rider and and excellent teacher. He was not an in-your-face kind of guy.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I don't. In fact, I'd like them to be treated like any other person, however the militant gay activist give all gays a black eye. They need to stop trying to shove it down peoples throats.

I wish they were all like my former dressage coach - in fact I had no idea he was gay until the other ladies told me. It made no difference to me. He was a beautiful rider and and excellent teacher. He was not an in-your-face kind of guy.
So because of what you call "militant gay activists", you think gay kids should be taught that they're not normal.

Obviously, sexual orientation does make a difference to you. You're fine with gays as long as they act like eunuchs when they're around you. Otherwise, you'll say that they're "shoving it down your throat".

If a hetero male talked about his wife in front of you, you wouldn't be bothered by that at all, but if a homo male talked about his partner in front of you, you'd be offended.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:08 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:

I don't see being truthful about one's sexuality as shoving it down people's throats.
I like to be honest with people. I don't introduce myself as, "Hi, I'm so and so the lesbian" but I don't hide the fact that I'm a lesbian either. If you ask, I'll tell you.

I think for some people they feel being out will bring them greater acceptance once people see that they are a person too and say, "Hey, so and so isn't that bad." It just brings a face to the issue sometimes. I know in high school a lot of times people just saw me as "the lesbian" but I knew a lot more people saw me as so and so who happens to be a lesbian. No big deal.

I would like to think my friends and family would think of me before they talk about political issues that have to do with gays and lesbians.
They don't have to like that I'm a lesbian but I'd at least want them to think, "Hey, she pays taxes like everyone else."

I don't want same-sex marriage, I am more for civil unions or domestic partnerships that afford couples the same rights as marriage.

Don't let a small minority tarnish the view of the whole group.
I know not all Christians are against rights for homosexuals, just like I know not all gays go to pride events and walk around scantily clad.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So why did the courts allow prop 8 on the ballot
If you mean the State Supreme Court, it didn't. It refused without comment in July to hear a petition to block Prop 8 from appearing on the ballot in light of the Court's May ruling. Prop 8 had been otherwise certified to appear by the Secretary of State, and precedent from earlier Supreme Court decisions is that it does not hear substantive challenges to questions on the ballot until after the balloting has been conducted. Essentially, the Court in July told petitioners to come back in November should the measure pass. Which is what they are doing.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Good to see that the Attorney General is urging the Court to overturn the evil will of 52% of the people. Of-course, Jerry Brown is planning to run for governor again [probably against Diane Feinstein]. All Democrats are embarrassed by Prop 8 & will work to overturn the tyranny of the religious right Republicans. Even Schwarzenegger express disappointment with the vote & has also urged it be undone by the supreme court.

This entire incident of denying rights to homosexuals is a black eye for California & will be put behind us once the Court re-institutes gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies