Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,710 times

Advertisements

Your lifestyle will never be accepted by me, like it or not. I don't agree with gay marriage, and neither do the people of California. I don't like laws being forced on me that are undemocratic, if I did, I would choose to live in a communist country where the elite decide what laws the people will abide by. I believe if you want to change a law, then you go to the polls and make your voice heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
And not everything should be dragged through the courts.
If marriage, as the California Supreme Court said, is a "basic civil right", then you can bet it's going to be "dragged through the courts".

If California voted tomorrow to take away women's right to vote, do you think that women should just accept the result without a challenge?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, as the pro-same-sex-marriage side has been told, "You don't always get what you want."
And neither do you

Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Because gays do not have a fundamental,inherent right to marry the same sex.
And, the secular argument justifying that argument would be what exactly?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

That whole California supreme court should be impeached

Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Because gays do not have a fundamental,inherent right to marry the same sex. The constitution was changed to protect traditional marriage, and that is what the people of California have decided. This Attorney General is thwarting the will of the people, and in essence giving gays legal power that not even straights have.
Huh? No..it was not designed to protect traditional marriage..

Where do you get this?

And what rights are gays getting that not even straights have?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And, the secular argument justifying that argument would be what exactly?
I don't have to have a secular argument, just like the Supreme Court of California apparently don't have to uphold the law, they instead want to legislate it from the bench.

I don't have to have any argument to be against gay marriage, but if need be I will supply those argument to the prop 8 group if necessary.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No surprise at all with Jerry brown.That has always been his position. If he refuses to enforce the law then he should stepdown. Its a politcal rouse.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Your lifestyle will never be accepted by me, like it or not. I don't agree with gay marriage, and neither do the people of California. I don't like laws being forced on me that are undemocratic, if I did, I would choose to live in a communist country where the elite decide what laws the people will abide by. I believe if you want to change a law, then you go to the polls and make your voice heard.
Why do you think we are a democratic nation? We are not. We are a REPUBLIC.

I do not care if this lifestyle is not accepted by you. Your choice. Why do you have a tone that you are of a higher power? Like as if what you say or believe is the way it should be? And yes, some people of California do not agree with gay marriage but there are some that do. You left that part out.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
I really don't care if it's accepted by you or not. Some people will never like blacks, or Latinos, or Asians, or people with HIV, etc.

And sexual orientation is not a lifestyle. Do you go around saying that you live the "straight lifestyle"?

It's not communist to use the court system, either. Laws are reviewed by the courts in this country every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies