Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Had they not been such braggarts before the election, then maybe they could have won this. I was thrilled beyond belief on election night, perhaps it can teach them a lesson in humility.
I think it's rather despicable that it made you happy to see millions of people unhappy, and with fewer rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's not completely different. It's not exactly the same, but there are similarities. There's no question that both groups have faced discrimination throughout history.
Yeah and Mormons faced persecution for their polygamist views too

Old 12-20-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I think it's rather despicable that it made you happy to see millions of people unhappy, and with fewer rights.
I think it is rather despicable how most of the gays treated me and many of my christian friends, yet I wish you no harm.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
The key word is "yet", There are already polygamist groups in this country and they too may fight for their perceived rights.

If you would have asked someone on the street 20-30 years ago what they thought of gay marriage, they would have given you a strange look like you were out of your mind. Now look at us fighting to preserve an institution that we hold dear.
So let the polygamists fight for what they think is right. It's a separate argument.

When people argued for the legalization of interracial marriage, the SAME ARGUMENT WERE MADE! Oh, it's going to lead to polygamy; oh, it's going to lead to beastiality, etc. Hogwash.

And yes, 30 years ago, things were different. The times change. A couple hundred years ago, if you had suggested that blacks should be equal to whites, people on the street would have given you a strange look, indeed.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
So let the polygamists fight for what they think is right. It's a separate argument.
Then quit trying to pander to racial minorities by comparing your struggle with theirs, you will lose that fight guaranteed!!!

If you consider Polygamists an apples and oranges issue, then I can consider race to be an apples and oranges issue when compared to gay rights.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
It is possible for a straight person to turn gay under various circumstances, usually when adults become set in their ways they can't change, but not necessarily. I have heard of many lesbians who were formerly straight, but now lesbian.

It happens, and just because you deny it, doesn't make it so.
I disagree with your premise that a gay person should want to change his sexual orientation. The biggest argument you've made in favor of it is that you would be more comfortable if gays converted to heterosexuality. That's not good enough for me, and you're ignoring the vast majority of science that says sexual orientation cannot be changed.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I think it is rather despicable how most of the gays treated me and many of my christian friends, yet I wish you no harm.
Remind us again, please. How have gays treated you and your friends badly?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I disagree with your premise that a gay person should want to change his sexual orientation.
He should want to change his sexuality if he wants to get married, otherwise why should the US change its customs which date back to the beginning of time for a group of people that can't even respect the citizens right to vote?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Then quit trying to pander to racial minorities by comparing your struggle with theirs, you will lose that fight guaranteed!!!
I'm not pandering to anybody. I'm using an example to illustrate a history of discrimination against the minority.

In the long run, liberalism always wins in this country. In a free society, liberty and happiness will win over restrictions and bigotry.

I think I'm done with this argument.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Remind us again, please. How have gays treated you and your friends badly?
Right now I won't go into that, I am saving that for a special occasion,besides I am tired and need to get some rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies