Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
It seems to me that the only threatening gesture that the victims made was being the wrong race in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Exactly.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
If by "loot, rob, and commit criminal acts" you mean crossing a bridge, then you're right.
How do you know that's all they were doing? They have a "story", just as the shooters have a "story". Who is telling the truth? We know there were plenty of looters in Nola, just as there were in LA during the riots.

Quote:
There was NO indication that these people were looters in NOLA. Does having Black skin automatically make someone a criminal?
How do you know they weren't looters? During the 1992 riots, roving gangs tried to make it into some of the communities around LA, such as my city of Torrance. Thankfully, the police were there to turn them back.

Quote:
And as far as the Asian store owners in LA during the LA Riots. Many of these people made themselves very wealthy by running businesses in the Black/Latino communities while treating their customers with utter disdain because they knew that these people had few options. Since when does looting a tv or stereo equate with taking someone's life?
Oh, sure. Just let them come into your business, steal all that's there and watch while they burn your store down. Sounds fair to me. And they weren't just looting, as you must know. There were many people mobbed, beaten and killed from the roving bands of blacks - people pulled out of their cars and beaten on live TV - remember?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Again, you make the claim that these people were simply protecting themselves from looters without substantiating the implied claim that the victims actually were looters. It seems to me that the only threatening gesture that the victims made was being the wrong race in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Again, you don't know that. You know there was looting in Nola. You are choosing to believe one story and not the other, based on what?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Ah, the classic "I have anecdotal evidence but I'm not going to substantiate it" red herring. Never mind the fact that anecdotes are always one sided and rarely ever verifiable, most people at least make one up without being probed so as to seem believable.

Moderator cut: Personal Attack
I was taking some college classes at the time. Some of my classmates (and friends) were from New Orleans. One of my cousins is in the National Guard in a unit that served down there. The amount of looting was beyond comprehension, it was truly anarchy. I'm going to take the words of people I know and trust who said what was happening was looting and self-defense against it, over some race baiter looking to make money.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-22-2008 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
and rarely ever verifiable
There is no problem verifying that during Katrina, looters were out in force.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How do you know that's all they were doing? They have a "story", just as the shooters have a "story". Who is telling the truth? We know there were plenty of looters in Nola, just as there were in LA during the riots.

How do you know they weren't looters? During the 1992 riots, roving gangs tried to make it into some of the communities around LA, such as my city of Torrance. Thankfully, the police were there to turn them back.

Oh, sure. Just let them come into your business, steal all that's there and watch while they burn your store down. Sounds fair to me. And they weren't just looting, as you must know. There were many people mobbed, beaten and killed from the roving bands of blacks - people pulled out of their cars and beaten on live TV - remember?
Obviously YOU have an issue with African Americans. There were many "looters" of races other than Black during the LA Riots. There were many things that happened that were NOT on TV. And as a former Black resident of Palos Verdes, I know how "racially biased" the police force of Torrance happens to be...but I'm glad YOU felt safe. However, now Torrance is having problems with Latino and Asian gangs...but as long as you feel safe.

Also, I really resent people who think that having Black skin automatically makes you a criminal, rapist, thief, looter, etc.

The bottom line is that the social inequality that makes up the basis in many major cities throughout our nature must be dismantled. Black Americans ARE NOT the enemy which needs to be destryed or shot down like rodents.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Again, you don't know that. You know there was looting in Nola. You are choosing to believe one story and not the other, based on what?
Based on the video of some of the people admitting, and I quote that they were just "shooting anything that moved". There was even a comment by a wife that now her husband "knows what the N word means". It was like "ferret season" to them. They indicate through these comments that they were enjoying what they were doing or at the very least admitting that there was no point to it.

And before you try to turn the argument on me, let's not forget that you were also choosing to believe one story and not the other despite the fact that you have no evidence that shows that people shot were looters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I was taking some college classes at the time. Some of my classmates (and friends) were from New Orleans. One of my cousins is in the National Guard in a unit that served down there. The amount of looting was beyond comprehension, it was truly anarchy. I'm going to take the words of people I know and trust who said what was happening was looting and self-defense against it, over some race baiter looking to make money.
Again, your anecdotes are unverifiable.

Quote:
There is no problem verifying that during Katrina, looters were out in force.
We know there was looting. But the problem is that we don't know that the people shot were looters or if they were just bystanders. You are making a bridge of "The shot people were looters" in between "There were looters" and "They were shot" in order to illustrate a connection that you could not possibly know exists.

And what got me posting in this thread is not even that these people shot at bystanders, whether they were looting or not. What gets me is how each of you and the other gentleman are so ready to condemn the victims and accept the premise of the shooters on such flimsy and obviously racially tinged grounds. So don't feign objectivity now.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Not sure if they will merge this with the video I sent yesterday, but I can say you got more replies then I did.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Some of these people will use any illogical presumption to justify their fears.
All of a sudden the men on the tape that were shot were looters.
No one on the entire tape said that but we should just presume because the people shot were black and walking to wards an evacuation point.
How do you justify the black man that lived in the community stating that he could not leave his block for fear of automatically being engaged in a firefight. This man was a neighbor but apparently the trump card was that he was black so of course he was guilty of looting also.
Did it swell some of you with pride when the woman stated her friend now knew what the "N" word meant, or when he gloated that he was no longer from the north but a southerner, or when they told a black neighbor to run so that he could be shot in the back?
"It was great, like pheasant season...if it moved we shot it" these sentiments that you approve of ?
The bottom line was that black skin made you a target no matter what you were doing, looking for safety or not.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Obviously YOU have an issue with African Americans. There were many "looters" of races other than Black during the LA Riots. There were many things that happened that were NOT on TV.
No, I don't. I'm sorry you are in denial - the 1992 riots were started by blacks incensed at the King verdict. The looters, mobs pulling people from their cars, roving the streets burning and killing were mainly blacks - that is just a fact.

Many of them were shot and killed by business owners trying to protect their property from being razed to the ground - they were justified. I would say the same thing if the looters/criminals were another color.

Quote:
And as a former Black resident of Palos Verdes, I know how "racially biased" the police force of Torrance happens to be...but I'm glad YOU felt safe.
I guess they should have let the gangs in to loot Del Amo mall, right? I did feel safe and was very thankful they were there to protect the city. Shouldn't I have felt that way?

Quote:
However, now Torrance is having problems with Latino and Asian gangs...but as long as you feel safe.
I moved to NY that same year. Lucky me.

Quote:
Also, I really resent people who think that having Black skin automatically makes you a criminal, rapist, thief, looter, etc.
Has nothing to do with skin color. Has everything to do with behavior and criminal acts.

Quote:
The bottom line is that the social inequality that makes up the basis in many major cities throughout our nature must be dismantled. Black Americans ARE NOT the enemy which needs to be destryed or shot down like rodents.
I don't believe they should be treated differently than any other law-abiding citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies