Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

It's a season for giving and if you've got the means it sure would be appreciated no matter how meager. We've all been reading plenty in these blogs about the big 3 and much of financial sector taking huge hits. These larger institutions used to donate philanthropically to many causes but with the economic downturn austerity plans have diminished donations.

Should you be living in an area directly experiencing problems your charitable donation would have a 3 fold benefit-- the charity directly, more money/help circulating in your local economy, and a tax write off.

Anyone still trying to figure out christmas shopping for people who have more than what they need can also consider donating in their name to a charity of their known preferences.

Homeless shelters are seeing more families displaced by mortgage crisis
Los Angeles County shelters brim with families - Los Angeles Times

Toys for Tots programs are 30% down across the country.
Toy donations down, children's Christmas in jeopardy | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/20/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20081220_Toy_donations_down__children_s_Christmas_ in_jeopardy.html - broken link)
Quote:
"The middle class used to support us," Stewart said. "But they've taken a hit, and a few people have gone from being middle-class donors to being in need themselves."
Food Banks, Shelters Report Spike In Demand (http://www.kbtx.com/national/headlines/35219719.html - broken link)
Quote:
The Salvation Army in the Washington, D.C., area said requests for help are up 30 percent while donations have dropped 20 percent.
Got extra in your pantry that might go unused before expiration? They can always use your help. Food banks are strained this year. Plug in your zip code for nearest donation centers.
Feeding America

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home
Skeptical about giving because charities have mishandled funds? This organization makes a concerted effort to screen for efficacy. Use the advanced search tool to plug in your zip code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:15 AM

273 posts, read 342,831 times
Sorry. Now, more than ever, charity starts at home. I have family members facing dire circumstances, and they come first.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Great Post. And if you can't afford to donate financially, donate your time.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
Sorry. Now, more than ever, charity starts at home. I have family members facing dire circumstances, and they come first.
Correct. And if you're sure to take care of them that will be one less person showing up at the salvation army when they're short. Everything helps.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Correct. And if you're sure to take care of them that will be one less person showing up at the salvation army when they're short. Everything helps.
Great posts harborlady, must spread the love in more ways than one

Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
I agree....as to anyone else...sorry, I gave at the "Federal Level"

Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree....as to anyone else...sorry, I gave at the "Federal Level"
It doesn't always have to be dollars we give. There are many forms of help-- even an invitation to a holiday meal. Every little bit helps.

Defending those who don't give as many dollars just a bit here; if it means they're making sure they won't be needing charity it will mean charitable $$ can be stretched further. Only the individual knows what shape they're in financially so I'm just hoping to remind folks what's missing. GM has charitable history but I don't think they're in a position to be leaned upon or have expectations put upon them anymore.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Going negative with a political attack is very profitable. Not that it was intended to compete, but the thread attacking liberals about charity has been responded to 39 times. Will anyone take the charities seriously or are y'all just in it for winning a political argument for public validation? How sad.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,309 times
I hope everyone here at the forum can do what they can for the many valuable charities around us, be it either through donation or volunteering.
They offer many needed services for the vulnerable and deserving.
Try to remember, who knows maybe this time next year, it could be us needing help.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Going to give my one and only bad volunteering experience...

I had a job which signed us up for volunteering for toys for tots. This was in 2003, in Dorchester Mass, which has some nice areas but is considered overall a "rough" city outside of Boston...

Get there, if I remember correctly it was a strict limit of one toy per child. 50% of the time went smoothly...10% of the time, the parent(s) and children would change clothes and reenter to get more toys. 40% of the time the parents would forcefully grab more than the limit of one toy per child. They APPEARED to be on some major drugs and/or drunk. They simply walked around to the stock of toys and took whatever they could fit in their arms. Nothing we could say with words would stop them. Our volunteer team was either ignored entirely or we dealt with verbal abuse...They'd pull the race card, tell us we have no idea what they've been through and call us spoiled brats...It's difficult to offend and me and I found everything that was said very assuming...None of us wanted to try physically stopping the parents because we fear they'd either try and hit us or worse, sue us (lol)...There's no doubt in my mind, a lot of these people were taking the free toys so they didn't have to use their own money. Now they have more money to buy drugs for themselves.

I understand this is just me, a person talking on an internet forum, generalizing one experience. But it was really a wake up call for me to learn that if I donate a something, there's no guarantee that it's going to go to someone who needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies