Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this because I believe that most people that support what happened after the invasion of Iraq have never even bothered to look it up.

Here is the text of Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, which the Bush administration acknowledged on Tuesday applies to terror war detainees held by the United States:

Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions - New York Times

Bush Govt Behind Detainee Abuse: Senate

Bush Govt Behind Detainee Abuse: Senate - IslamOnline.net - News (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1228489970631&pagename=Z one-English-News/NWELayout - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:33 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Lol, I love the comments section on the second link! They spew the same kind of ignorant tripe that is so frequently seen on this board:

Quote:
After Hitler - Bush is the most wanted Terrorist on earth today!
Sounds like something a few dozen people on this board would post!

Makes it harder to take people who would say such very seriously at all.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm posting this because I believe that most people that support what happened after the invasion of Iraq have never even bothered to look it up.

Here is the text of Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, which the Bush administration acknowledged on Tuesday applies to terror war detainees held by the United States:

Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions - New York Times

Bush Govt Behind Detainee Abuse: Senate

Bush Govt Behind Detainee Abuse: Senate - IslamOnline.net - News (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1228489970631&pagename=Z one-English-News/NWELayout - broken link)

if a person during war is caught in uniform and is detained as a POW, then I can see the USA applying the geneva convention to them.

but on the other hand, if a person conducting war against the US military or the USA is caught in civilian clothes, they are now considered a spy, terrorist or criminal, and the geneva convention does not apply to any of these individuals so detained.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:50 PM

773 posts, read 1,214,893 times
Monkeywrenching does this mean you condone the mistreatment of civilians? Does this make it okay to attack and kidnap fat and obnoxious American tourists with really loud bermuda shorts as they wolf down big macs in a Parisian Mcdonalds?
Have a look at the attire worn by the Afghani mujahadein during the Soviet occupation, it resembles the clothing of over 95% of the detainees at Guantanamo.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Monkeywrenching does this mean you condone the mistreatment of civilians? Does this make it okay to attack and kidnap fat and obnoxious American tourists with really loud bermuda shorts as they wolf down big macs in a Parisian Mcdonalds?
Have a look at the attire worn by the Afghani mujahadein during the Soviet occupation, it resembles the clothing of over 95% of the detainees at Guantanamo.

the freedom fighters during the soviet afghan war were not a military, they were exactly that, a partisan group.

I do remember someone (a civilian no less) named David Pearl that was kidnapped and murdered by the type of godless murderers that are now in gitmo.

so if you ask what I think the military is right or wrong, according the geneva convention, then yes they are ok. as far as ethically, then i would say no.

but either way, i do not think it is any business of other countries and they should stay out of our business.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:12 AM

94 posts, read 126,558 times
Does anyone even follow the Geneva convention?

I mean, Israel has been violating it with its illegal occupation for years and the U.S has been vetoing anything critical of Israel at the U.N for years.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeist View Post
Does anyone even follow the Geneva convention?

I mean, Israel has been violating it with its illegal occupation for years and the U.S has been vetoing anything critical of Israel at the U.N for years.

I am not sure if Israel ever signed it.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am not sure if Israel ever signed it.
International Humanitarian Law - State Parties / Signatories

That site contains all the signatories. Israel is on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies