Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:12 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times

Advertisements

Things like this are what keep me from stopping at accidents. Ima nurse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
people on CDF often post angery threads about apathy of our citizens. but this post explains non involvement.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:56 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,160 times
so to play devil's advocate... what would have happened had that young lady not helped her friend and the car exploded?

Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
so to play devil's advocate... what would have happened had that young lady not helped her friend and the car exploded?
I'd vastly prefer to be dead than lose function of any 2 of my limbs. I know obviously plenty of people would disagree there, but without a doubt, if given the choice, I'd choose death.

Why didn't the friend call 911?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Many years ago in CA I was with this Dr. on Easter. We were coming back from an Easter party and there was a car flipped over in flames. This guy (Dr.) didn't even stop.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Just carry a waiver around with you.....

Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Things like this are what keep me from stopping at accidents. Ima nurse.
Disclaimer: I am NOT an Attorney... I just play one on the internet.

If you are a nurse than you are covered by the law which makes you immune to any lawsuit that might arise out of your helping. Same with any medical "professional"- even if you do not work as a medical professional but you are certified as one (which includes CPR certification). Read the law in your state. They are all pretty uniform.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
The chances are so low of that happening that the victim should be left alone until professional assistance arrives.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
The unfortunate thing is that some states might decide to follow. A couple of months back, the city of Hartford was in the news because people failed to help a man struck on the streets in full view of everybody. People came down on the citizens of Hartford as being heartless, callous, etc. I don't know if this is a law in CT as well, but I think we'd see less of Good Samaritans as more people sue for these types of things. If that man in NY didn't jump the tracks to save that man, where would that man have been? I think the law should look on intent rather than results. A lay person does not have the judgment to know when or what can cause a car to explode. The intent was to save a life. It was unfortunate that it caused more injuries, but there was no intent to cause such. To make it punitive is a disservice to anybody else that might be in a worse situation. I lived in CA for 11 years, and boy, has that state gone downhill really fast in so many ways. I hate it that my family is still there.
The raod to Hell is paved with good intentions. If you don't know what you are doing, dial 911 leave it to those who do.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Disclaimer: I am NOT an Attorney... I just play one on the internet.

If you are a nurse than you are covered by the law which makes you immune to any lawsuit that might arise out of your helping. Same with any medical "professional"- even if you do not work as a medical professional but you are certified as one (which includes CPR certification). Read the law in your state. They are all pretty uniform.

That is actually not true and you are not automatically absolved from the incident creating a situation in which it becomes impossible to give the standard of care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies