Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
should also be charged for a hate crime if in fact they raped this woman because she was gay.
Why should they get any harsher punishment than if the woman had been heterosexual? Would it be a love crime if the victim weren't gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
One can hope for a little poetic karma for these guys after their conviction.

Mr Rapist meet your cell mate Bubba "BIGMAN" Smith. Thats his blackbelt karate championship name.
"hes only 5'8" tall and thats not big"
Oh dont worry. He called that for other reasons.
Have a day!
Guess I gotta check the other cellblock and wont be back for a 2 hours!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
No one deserves to be raped.
Wrong, rapists do.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
What if they were just poor, inner city youths that were victims of poverty and poor education?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
What if they were just poor, inner city youths that were victims of poverty and poor education?
They still raped someone.
There are plenty of kids who are poor and in live in the inner city that are victims of poverty and poor education but aren't out there raping women.

No excuses.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
They still raped someone.
There are plenty of kids who are poor and in live in the inner city that are victims of poverty and poor education but aren't out there raping women.

No excuses.

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, some folks prefer to make excuses for criminals due to poverty or lack of education.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
In my opinion, regarding hate crimes if a black person is murdered because he is black, Jewish guy is murdered because he is Jewish, gay guy is murdered because he is gay...a person is raped because they are gay...being singled out because of a nationality, ethinicity, sexual preference..those are hate crimes and both the crime elements of that crime should be punished. It is all egregious behavior.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
In my opinion, regarding hate crimes if a black person is murdered because he is black, Jewish guy is murdered because he is Jewish, gay guy is murdered because he is gay...a person is raped because they are gay...being singled out because of a nationality, ethinicity, sexual preference..those are hate crimes and both the crime elements of that crime should be punished. It is all egregious behavior.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, some folks prefer to make excuses for criminals due to poverty or lack of education.
Yeah,while it is unfortunate that they didn't receive an adequate education and/or they were raised in poverty, they still committed a crime. Can you imagine how many criminals would be released if they said, "If you were raised in poverty and/or did not receive an adequate education, you are now pardoned."?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Falwell and Robertson blamed the deaths of thousands on 9/11 on gays and women's libbers so this is not much of a stretch for those types.
And, look at those nutty Kansas church people who showed up at military funerals all over the country to protest, because "America accepts gays", so they were protesting America.

It sure doesn't help to have a war going on about gay marriage, either - if everyone would just mind their own business and not care who anyone else marries, nobody would think about it. It just adds fuel to the fire of those who are sickos already.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
gay hate crimes happen all the time. But you know what's weird. I've noticed that they happen mostly in liberal area's with large gay populations. By all means I am not saying liberals are doing this. I grew up in seattle and now live in boise idaho. Gay people here in boise are well respected as individuals, and i have never heard of a gay bashing case here since I've lived here. But I remember living in seattle and it seemed to happen a few times a year. I remember one incident where a guy just walked out of timberline (gay bar) and was walking to his car and he was stabbed in the face with a broken beer bottle. Anyway, long story short. I think that such behavior happens in more liberal areas with large gay populations because I believe that for many having gay bars and gay neighbourhoods is seen as a culture war by many who oppose gay issues. I'm beginning to think that because people who disagree or are against gay issues are a small minority in these liberal places, it causes them to act out in such disgusting manner. Which is why in more conservative area's you find the opposite, gay and gay sympathizers attacking churches and being ridiculous as well. Although I will say that the recent events against churches and religions is a drop in the bucket compared to the level of ridiculousness and violence committed against gays over the past few decades.
Yeah, I think it is because gays/lesbians tend to live in liberal areas because Conservatives would just throw a Bible in their face. Liberals are more understanding when it comes to this issue. Of course even in Liberal cities, there are Conservatives. Not saying a Conservative did this but it could be. Just like it could be a liberal.

But either which way, it is wrong and will not "straighten" this poor girl out. For all those who cry "BEING GAY IS A CHOICE", well. You are wrong. Very pathetically wrong. But anyways, she should be brought to justice and not only in this case of rape but she should also be allow the female she loves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies