Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 AM

169 posts, read 561,062 times

Advertisements

There doesn't seem to be much in the press about the fact that Bush has pardoned a bunch of drug dealers here at the end of his horrible term. This is usual of the media though. They only touch on the big issues and divert with small insignificant things. Does this concern anyone but me? Maybe he is wanting them out so he can use them to score some dopage later! Thaats it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,383,249 times
I read the article and was surprised by his choices myself.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:40 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,615,447 times
Well IMO if the drug offenses are non-violent, then why not pardon them. I am not condoning it in way shape or form, but I would much rather have a drug dealer free than a serial killer or rapist. More than likely the dealer will screw up again and be right back in prison. Look at it this way, people CHOOSE to do drugs, they don't choose to be killed or raped. If we had better programs out there to educate people on the dangers of drugs, maybe noone would want to do them. No demand for drugs means the dealers would go out of business.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,676,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well IMO if the drug offenses are non-violent, then why not pardon them. I am not condoning it in way shape or form, but I would much rather have a drug dealer free than a serial killer or rapist. More than likely the dealer will screw up again and be right back in prison. Look at it this way, people CHOOSE to do drugs, they don't choose to be killed or raped. If we had better programs out there to educate people on the dangers of drugs, maybe noone would want to do them. No demand for drugs means the dealers would go out of business.
If we are talking about drug dealers (not people who choose to do drugs), then you need to consider how violent this business is. People get killed & lives shattered. Follow some stories of drugs coming in from Mexico, Columbia of Afghanistan. They are all violent and drug dealers are a part of this violent chain.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:57 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,615,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
If we are talking about drug dealers (not people who choose to do drugs), then you need to consider how violent this business is. People get killed & lives shattered. Follow some stories of drugs coming in from Mexico, Columbia of Afghanistan. They are all violent and drug dealers are a part of this violent chain.
Maybe so, but why are they so violent? COMPETITION!!! Once again I'll say, if you take away the consumer (drug users), then there wouldn't be a market for them to compete in. Therefore, eliminating the cut throat business. Also consider this, look at how many lives have been lost over the business of oil! Not trying to go off topic, just simply using an example!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,531,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
There doesn't seem to be much in the press about the fact that Bush has pardoned a bunch of drug dealers here at the end of his horrible term. This is usual of the media though. They only touch on the big issues and divert with small insignificant things. Does this concern anyone but me? Maybe he is wanting them out so he can use them to score some dopage later! Thaats it!
This should hardly surprise anyone. Bush made his preferences clear some years ago. Who do you EXPECT him to pardon....Border Patrol Agents?...

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Maybe so, but why are they so violent? COMPETITION!!! Once again I'll say, if you take away the consumer (drug users), then there wouldn't be a market for them to compete in. Therefore, eliminating the cut throat business. Also consider this, look at how many lives have been lost over the business of oil! Not trying to go off topic, just simply using an example!
A problem is that if you go after all the end users, besides it being a huge political problem, it will also be expensive in terms of the total effort. It may be easier to arrest a dealer and eliminate (temporarily) multiple deals and end-uses (not end users). This is why destroying a underground drug manufacturing loacle in Columbia is so much more cost effective. Same reason why cops go after prostitutes instead of the Johns - you curb multiple instances of abuse by getting to the source / supplier.
I am not against what you are proposing (going after end users - we need to have additiona moolah) but the fact is that drug dealers are currently a part of the violent supply chain and shoud not be pardoned.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-24-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Legalize drugs and the drug market would no longer be violent.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Legalize drugs and the drug market would no longer be violent.
True, but right now it is violent and a few dealers are being pardoned...

Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM

169 posts, read 561,062 times
I think individual users should not be treated as "criminals" because they obviously have an addiction they can't control and I am not speaking of marijuana users either. I mean hard core drugs. But, Bush released a meth dealer as well as others that I can't remember at the moment. I heard about the meth dealer this morning that is why it is fresh on my mind. This is inexcusable and just furthers the proof of how corrupt our govt is!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies