Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,969,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Thats cool. But it depends which traditional values you look at.

I dont care which traditions people keep as long as it does not deny people rights. (NOT to start a debate here) But this is why I am for gay marriage.

I know you are not though. :-P

I do not look at traditional values really.
I believe that you follow the Hindu faith, correct if I'm wrong? What are the traditional values of the Hindu faith? Do they support same sex marriage?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I believe that you follow the Hindu faith, correct? What are the traditional values of the Hindu faith? Do they support same sex marriage?
I am not Hindu but was born into a Sikh/Hindu household. I explored different religions because I did not find fulfillment in these religions so I know a little more than the typical person about religions. I respect these religions but just...it did not do it for me, if you know?

Sikhism does not say anything about gay marriage. It just states marriage should be where a husband and wife are together in "spirit". It identifies marriage as husband and wife but does not say anything about gay marriage, if you know what I mean..?

As for Hinduism, they are more accepting of gay marriage. However, the religion also does not say anything about it. The Vedas does not say anything. It just talks about general peace and loving each other.It does not say anything about marriage. All the Hindu Gods I know about are married to people of the opposite gender but I do recall Lord Krishna saying that he has no problems with people loving each other-even if it is someone of the same gender.

So it depends on which kind of Hinduism you look at. Very complicated to say.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:29 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,444,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How wonderful that this is happening in Iraq, can you imagine? The Iraqi's seem to have more tolerance than most supposedly tolerant nations. It is so wonderful to see the freedom the Iraqi's now enjoy.
Now? Iraqi Christians didn't celebrate Christmas before?

Do you ever know what you are talking about?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am not Hindu but was born into a Sikh/Hindu household. I explored different religions because I did not find fulfillment in these religions so I know a little more than the typical person about religions. I respect these religions but just...it did not do it for me, if you know?

Sikhism does not say anything about gay marriage. It just states marriage should be where a husband and wife are together in "spirit". It identifies marriage as husband and wife but does not say anything about gay marriage, if you know what I mean..?

As for Hinduism, they are more accepting of gay marriage. However, the religion also does not say anything about it. The Vedas does not say anything. It just talks about general peace and loving each other.It does not say anything about marriage. All the Hindu Gods I know about are married to people of the opposite gender but I do recall Lord Krishna saying that he has no problems with people loving each other-even if it is someone of the same gender.

So it depends on which kind of Hinduism you look at. Very complicated to say.
Thanks for clarifying as I'm not familiar with Hiduism.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

He means celebrating Christmas without fear of persecution.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:37 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,209,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

Read the link of the OP. You might learn something.

This is what the caption by the picture says:
"Iraqi Christian children light candles at Saint Teriza church after Christmas Day mass in Basra, 550 kilometers (340 miles) southeast of Baghdad, Iraq, Thursday, Dec. 25, 2008. Christmas Day was this year for the first time declared an official holiday in Iraq."

That's what the OP was about.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,455,336 times
I have a friend, Emmanuel who moved away from Iraq because his people were heavily persecuted. He knew someone who was personally beheaded, and when he had the opportunity to move to America with his father, he jumped at it.

I feel horrible for those people. They are probably one of the more hated groups in Iraq.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I have a friend, Emmanuel who moved away from Iraq because his people were heavily persecuted. He knew someone who was personally beheaded, and when he had the opportunity to move to America with his father, he jumped at it.

I feel horrible for those people. They are probably one of the more hated groups in Iraq.
And people claim that there is no religious freedom here in the US ...

Old 12-25-2008, 09:52 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,455,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
And people claim that there is no religious freedom here in the US ...
TheLiberalVoice is a troll, just trying to stir the pot. Don't feed into his crud. Most people that think the way he does SHOULD be persecuted.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:52 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,444,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What a silly question, although not surprising. It is nothing more than celebrating the wonder of the new Iraqi's, with the freedom, tolerance and peace to be able to celebrate another religion not in the majority.

Very simple - and something that would not have happened under the former regime.
You are the epitome of the word "silly." Next to the word "silly" in the word dictionary there it says, "syn. sanrene."

You want proof? OK.

This is Iraq, then.

Despite sanctions, war threats, Iraqis are eager to celebrate Christmas | Article from AP Worldstream | HighBeam Research

CHRISTMAS AROUND THE WORLD

CHRISTIANS, MUSLIMS SHARE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON IN BAGHDAD.(News) | Article from Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Seattle, WA) | HighBeam Research

This is Iraq, now.

IRIN Middle East | Middle East | Iraq | IRAQ: People flee Baghdad district as gunmen impose Shariah law | Early Warning Food Security Gender Issues Human Rights Conflict Aid Policy Refugees/IDPs | News Item

Christians, Muslims flee Baghdad for Kurdistan

Christian in Iraq face liquidation

Christians Disappearing From Iraq - article by Daniel Pipes

So the question is, are you really as ignorant as you sound? Is that even possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies