Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 07:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
As far as I'm concerned, we could eliminate ALL national and/or paid holidays. Fair is fair. Nobody gets any paid holidays for anything - religious or otherwise.
This is the direction I believe our society is headed towards ... Let's be fair to all and eliminate paid holidays all together.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:36 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, we could eliminate ALL national and/or paid holidays. Fair is fair. Nobody gets any paid holidays for anything - religious or otherwise.
I think paid holidays are a good thing considering most people only have 2 weeks vacation w/most full-time jobs. Depending on how long you've worked there of course & where you work. It's nice to have some days off throughout the year.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I think paid holidays are a good thing considering most people only have 2 weeks vacation w/most full-time jobs. Depending on how long you've worked there of course & where you work. It's nice to have some days off throughout the year.
I definately agree!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
This is the direction I believe our society is headed towards ... Let's be fair to all and eliminate paid holidays all together.
Actually, if that DOESN'T happen, it will be because of all the government employees.

Which makes me wonder if maybe I should be complaining about the fact that my mailman gets MLK Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day as holiday - and I don't.

THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!

Or maybe it's just no real big deal.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Sure, but the problem - as we've seen here - is that there is ALWAYS somebody to come along complaining about how it's not fair. Or complaining about being forced to observe somebody else's holiday.

So let's just be fair across the board & eliminate them all! That way everybody can stop crying about it.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Actually, if that DOESN'T happen, it will be because of all the government employees.

Which makes me wonder if maybe I should be complaining about the fact that my mailman gets MLK Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day as holiday - and I don't.

THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!

Or maybe it's just no real big deal.
I work for the city & throughout the year we get 11 days off paid holiday. Sweet!!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I work for the city & throughout the year we get 11 days off paid holiday. Sweet!!
THAT'S NOT FAIR!
THAT'S NOT FAIR!!
THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!

Okay - seriously - good on you! And I say that honestly, as somebody who has nowhere near as many paid holidays as you, nor near as much paid vacation (unless you're a relatively recent hire). I hope you enjoy your time off!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I used to be a city employee myself and I would not go back unless I had to but I sure miss all those paid holidays. LOL!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
THAT'S NOT FAIR!
THAT'S NOT FAIR!!
THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!

Okay - seriously - good on you! And I say that honestly, as somebody who has nowhere near as many paid holidays as you, nor near as much paid vacation (unless you're a relatively recent hire). I hope you enjoy your time off!
Oh I am believe me! That's probably the best thing about working for the city, that & the health benefits. But of course I'm grateful for that because I know that is SO not the case in the private sector, so I can feel for people who aren't given that.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I used to be a city employee myself and I would not go back unless I had to but I sure miss all those paid holidays. LOL!
It's not bad working for the city, although I'll admit I think we got the pick of the litter w/our employees! (sarcasm)-almost all employees in certain departments are....undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies