Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

One can only hope we end this backwards timewarp. After we get our collective heads above water, we as a nation can start paddling towards shore, and once there, the work begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 09:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
More like the dark ages... but it may be fun to ride herd over some of the local serfs

Old 12-25-2008, 11:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
One can only hope we end this backwards timewarp. After we get our collective heads above water, we as a nation can start paddling towards shore, and once there, the work begins.

Count me out, I am not a "collective". Our struggling once great nation is going under, just a matter of time. The next four years will simply hurry it along.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:18 PM

37,188 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Count me out, I am not a "collective". Our struggling once great nation is going under, just a matter of time. The next four years will simply hurry it along.
Bush lit the fuse for this scenario, all right.

All we can hope for is that Obama can extinguish it before it goes too far.

"Stay the Course" will surely take us over the cliff.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Bush lit the fuse for this scenario, all right.

All we can hope for is that Obama can extinguish it before it goes too far.

"Stay the Course" will surely take us over the cliff.

Yes, Bush has made some VERY BAD decisions and with poor leadership. We are dangling for sure. If Obama can get us out of the gutter, he will be hailed as a great leader and President. Just don't know that he can pull it off.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
More like the dark ages... but it may be fun to ride herd over some of the local serfs

Exactly. But in reality, if the government isnt actively bailing YOU out right at the moment(giving you a life boat to ride out the storm in), YOU WILL be one of the serfs at the end of the(ir) rainbow.

People need to wake up and realize, there is NO difference between an R or a D. The corporations and bankers own us now.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Odd title for thread that gets responses implying USA is foregone conclusion failure. Would you really be opposed to what's going on I'd think you'd be arguing a case that didn't expect someone else to fix it for you. Freedom was never free and to presume it (regardless of which party is selling the charade) is a costly mistake.

Something I've pointed out to folks months ago that very much applies to our current economic situation; when you're keeping it real your investments are far more sound. Old school lessons don't spend more than you make, save for a rainy day, owning your house vs beholden to a bank means your daily expenses are more in your control. The better able you can embrace self sufficiency the better off you are. Tangible reality is something investors have been flocking to for years and that bellwether had rhyme and reason to it even if it appeared desperate. Economic forecasts have been very dark in most publications for 2+yrs.

I didn't pray for Bush to fail. I prayed that this nation would make it through. Those prayers remain valid & even more crucial now than ever before. I'm hard pressed to think of any president in our history inheriting a bigger mess. We can all agree there is a big mess, and conversations about where things went wrong and how to fix what's broken are appropriate. I lose respect for any citizen rooting for failure.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:00 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Count me out, I am not a "collective".
Done.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:37 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

Something I've pointed out to folks months ago that very much applies to our current economic situation; when you're keeping it real your investments are far more sound. Old school lessons don't spend more than you make, save for a rainy day, owning your house vs beholden to a bank means your daily expenses are more in your control. The better able you can embrace self sufficiency the better off you are. Tangible reality is something investors have been flocking to for years and that bellwether had rhyme and reason to it even if it appeared desperate. Economic forecasts have been very dark in most publications for 2+yrs.
To get back there from over here though, there in lies the challenge. After all we have had many decades of moving towards a society of gross consumerism, messiah worship of our imperial Presidency and the dilution of the powers of Congress, and the disconnect between government and people and vice versa.

So, how do we come to again realize the importance of long term thinking, such as saving for that rainy day, living independent of our credit dependency, etc...

Perhaps the most difficult road is the best in which case is to allow it all to fail and come crashing down around us. After all, it is out of such hard times in which great ideas and sound fundamental practices are remembered. People take nearly everything we have in this country for granted including each other, so letting them eat dirt for a while might be in the best long term interest. Better a hard fall now that utter collapse later?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
The current systems in place MUST fail and they must not be used as a template for a future society. They are not sustainable so there is no reason to replicate them. America, as a country, is dead. So are most of the other developed nations. They have been systematically torn apart in order to make them crash and burn. Why? So that their planned replacements can rise like Phoenix's (more like hells, actually). The options for creating something entirely not within this plan are being deliberately diminished. That is the nature of CONTROL, it eliminates opposition.

Despite your highly predictable despair, there ARE flaws in the plan... for there is nothing more unnatural, unholy if you will, than completely controlling creativity in any of its limitless expressions.

If you're thinking only of our once great nation, you're not thinking large enough. Think of what each human has in common and start from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies