Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:58 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times

Advertisements

Can anybody think of any other reasons why the US is in free fall? Americans have collectively and individually and habitually been committing the Seven Deadly Sins for so long, there is probably no way out of this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 04:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
Well, I can think of selfish ignorance, much of it willful. Not sure where that would fit in the list...

Old 12-26-2008, 04:11 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,398,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can anybody think of any other reasons why the US is in free fall? Americans have collectively and individually and habitually been committing the Seven Deadly Sins for so long, there is probably no way out of this mess.
Absolutely correct, but it's mostly those selfish conservatives that are guilty of this. Where's Kevin Spacey when we really need him.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:16 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,971 times
Greed is good. US is experiencing mild economic decline (growing by 0% instead of 3% for a year isn't "free fall") because of government intervention in the economy: bad monetary policies, trade shock caused by past protectionism, union thuggery, "bailout mentality", taxes (especially high corporate taxes), etc.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,061,366 times
Quote:
ALL Americans do the whole list ?!! Really? WoW! That's some research you've done!

I have only three to brag about

Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
ALL Americans do the whole list ?!! Really? WoW! That's some research you've done!

I have only three to brag about
I don't remember saying ALL. Did somebody hack into my account?

As I expected, posters immediately started falling over themselves to disavow any personal culpability for playing a part in the general demise of the republic, or to express denial that it is widespread at all.

For my part:
Lust---moderate, but declining with age.
Gluttony-- low. I eat simply and sparingly.
Greed--zero. I chose a frugal lifestlye.
Sloth---extreme. Guilty
Anger--well under control and rarely tempted.
Envy--I wouldn't trade places with anybody.
Pride--Moderate, for my successes, but not for what I was born.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 04:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,505,496 times
What if you work hard at controlling your LUST....and you're PROUD of how well you've done, so far....yet you ENVY those who have done better than you? What then?

If you don't experience GREED, and are satisfied with what little you HAVE....but that's only due to the fact that you're too lazy to pursue more, is that an indication of SLOTH?????

If you go to an "All You Can Eat" Buffet, then leave hungry, does that absolve you from guilt over GLUTTONY?.....or does it mean you're 'wasting' food, while others go hungry?

It ANGERS me to think how many people ARE in these categories....not something to be proud of, that's for sure.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,061,366 times
Quote:
I don't remember saying ALL. Did somebody hack into my account?

As I expected, posters immediately started falling over themselves to disavow any personal culpability for playing a part in the general demise of the republic, or to express denial that it is widespread at all.

For my part:
Lust---moderate, but declining with age.
Gluttony-- low. I eat simply and sparingly.
Greed--zero. I chose a frugal lifestlye.
Sloth---extreme. Guilty
Anger--well under control and rarely tempted.
Envy--I wouldn't trade places with anybody.
Pride--Moderate, for my successes, but not for what I was born.
You didn't say all, you said "Americans".......and that funny little thingy I put at the end of ""ALL Americans do the whole list ?" is known as a question mark denoting that sentence is a question.

I'm still wondering what your point is....

Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,117,825 times
Lust: what's wrong with it? As long as you don't commit a crime in order to express your lust, I say go for it. Better to be passionate than just another sheople.
Gluttony: what option do we have when our foods are laden with 15,000 extra chemicals, many of whom induce us to overeat? If we actually had a choice, like, "No, I don't want polysoribumthalate in mine, thanks!" then we'd not have the obesity rate we currently do. It's everywhere! How can we escape these ingredients unless we eat what's in our own yards?
Greed: we want luxury and when luxury isn't enough, we want more. As long as people continue to see the world as limited and place no value on balance, we will have to contend with greed and its attendant crimes. Abundance is a better lifestyle. Luxury is overrated.
Sloth: is a direct response to hopelessness. Without a hopeful future, what's the point? I think this sin is actually a guilt trip since there's nothing wrong with slowing down, smelling the roses and savoring life. I think it was added to this list by those who see others as slave labor. The work ethic is ridiculous since we waste so much of our energy working for things that don't have personal meaning. When one finds meaning in their work, sloth exits silently.
Anger: perhaps the most common emotion in our country. We dislike that we cannot find meaning, that we cannot be free enough, that the human condition seems unsolvable. Our religions tell us not to like ourselves and others who disagree with us. The media perpetuates our differences and only provides us polarities as examples. The only thing bad about anger is when it doesn't have an outlet. I pity the future when the doors of inhibition are swung open and the repression of decades makes its appearance in full daylight.
Envy: another sin borne out of a belief in limitation and proof that happiness cannot be found externally.
Pride: like sloth, this one is probably rooted in religious guilt for one is not supposed to equate oneself with god. What a pity. We get a planet of six billion people who feel insignificant because they are told that liking themselves is wrong. If ever there was a destructive force keeping man from achieving collective greatness, it is the lack of self-esteem we are hammered into accepting.

That's my take.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,915,261 times
Default Se7ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
WoW! That's some research you've done!
Yeah, that movie came on here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies