Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
"Why can't gays just be happy with civil unions?"

Well let's see -- why can't heteros just be happy with civil unions? Whatever your answer is, that's your answer.

P.S. And blaming the victim is irrational.
Heterosexuals are happy with civil unions, it's called marriage. lmaoo

The gays that lead to the banning of civil unions aren't victims, they are hard head kids that deserved to be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 11:50 PM

607 posts, read 922,782 times
I'm gay and I would be happy if I had equal civil unions. If federal laws were changed and civil unions enjoyed the exact same state and federal legal benefits (like in Australia and parts of Europe), then the institutions really are separate but equal. I don't care about the stupid religious word that the conservatives seem to cling to for dear life - "marriage" - which 50% of them can't seem to make work anyway. Keep it.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:19 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
[quote=Momof1FL;6524284]Actually read these before you respond....

A friend in Canada sent to me....her gay son sent to her!!

> Top reasons why Gay marriage is wrong:
>
> 1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural
> things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
>
> 2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that
> hanging around tall people will make you tall.
>
> 3) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never
> adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the
> service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
>
> 4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at
> all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and
> divorce is still illegal.
>
> 5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were
> allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage
> would be destroyed.
>
> 6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay
> couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry
> because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
>
> 7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents
> only raise straight children.
>
> 8) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at
> home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to
> raise children.
>
> 9) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy
> behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has
> legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
>
> (one of the saddest parts about our society is that these arguments,
> before the humorous common sense, are the real reasons why people can't
> accept gay marriages.)

>
> REPOST THIS IF YOU BELIEVE THAT GAY MARRIAGE SHOULD BE LEGAL! EITHER
> EVERYONE HAS EQUAL RIGHTS OR NO ONE DOES! THAT'S WHY IT SAYS "ONE
> NATION, UNDER GOD, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL"
[/quote THE USA WILL WOBBLE AND ALMOST FALL........BEING GAY IS ONLY ONE SYMPTOM . I know it is difficult to see, like many problems people have but when a Church stops telling the Truth we are in trouble. Every one lies, kills babies for fun and profit. Gays are not doing that. WE all sin ,we all suck. WE ARE IN TROUBLE.......GAYS ARE THE PRODUCT OF STRAIGHT MARRIAGES

Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I think people liking dogs is abnormal. Letting them poo on my garden is a moral afront. I dont like them. Im more a cat person. Lets lobby so the government can ban people from owning dogs.
bAN THEM ALL cATS AND DOG AND THE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T CARE FOR THEM AND BAN THE GOVERNMENTS THAT CAN NOT INFORCE THE LAW

Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 AM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
I'm gay and I would be happy if I had equal civil unions. If federal laws were changed and civil unions enjoyed the exact same state and federal legal benefits (like in Australia and parts of Europe), then the institutions really are separate but equal. I don't care about the stupid religious word that the conservatives seem to cling to for dear life - "marriage" - which 50% of them can't seem to make work anyway. Keep it.

That's exactly my point, Civil Unions had a chance at passing on a national level, now after having gay marriage forced on the majority of Americans who were against it, it seems now the majority Americans are now also against Civil Unions. Just last year the majority said they were okay with Civil Unions.

These far left morons has killed all the advancement the LGBT community made towards sharing their life with the mate of their choice.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:50 AM

709 posts, read 1,497,856 times
"Marriages", "civil unions", etc - they're merely contracts between individuals, and every one should be as unique as the people agreeing to it. The government does not need to be involved, and definitely not to approve or reject it based on the genders of the people involved, their number (i.e. polygamy), ages, etc.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Civil unions don't work to the exclusion of marriage because the Church wants their gay couples to be married in the eyes of God. How does the state have the right to interfere in religious matters?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:57 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,197 times
To the OP - why do you care so much?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Civil unions don't work to the exclusion of marriage because the Church wants their gay couples to be married in the eyes of God. How does the state have the right to interfere in religious matters?
The church can still marry them if thats their deal. When did the church really need state approval? The state licence is for state purposes not the church.
The OP. Not all gays have heartburn with civil unions. Some want their union to be recognized on the same level as a hetero union. In other words equality. I can't argue that desire is wrong in anyway. What I will argue is that some of the tactics used scare many away who might otherwise support them.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times
If they would just allow civil unions in all 50 states (by either state or federal law), maybe gays WOULD be happy with it. I feel it hasn't even been given a chance. I think Obama needs to make this happen, otherwise certain states will never pass it. Just give them all this opportunity and see what happens in 8-10 years. The Democrats need to seriously make some changes around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies