Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM

839 posts, read 982,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I would. Don't see any valid reason to not give them that legal right. There are moral and religious reasons but there are also moral anad religious reasons not to have sex outside of marriage and people don't seem to have any trouble with that
I would argue that there aren't any moral reasons why gay marriage shouldn't be legalized, there are only religious reasons. People to often confuse ethics with religion; I'd say its immoral not to allow gays to marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
I believe in marriage because it is in our constitution for the pursuit of happiness.
That was the Declaration of Independence

Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
You know I have tried reasoning with gay people and all they do is insult me, why should I be held to a higher standard than they are? I asked a simple question earlier about the lesbian gene, and then bam someone comes on and gripes about my views on Christmas and then accuses me of gay bashing.

Research has been done that shows that the brain patterns of gay men more resemble those of straight women, like wise with lesbians. In both gay men and lesbians there are reactions to pheromones of the same sex, where as in heterosexuals, there is reactions to pheromones of the opposites sex. I do not recall any research on bisexual individuals.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,544 times
I would have to disagree with that pheremone part.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:53 AM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
I'm really divided on this subject.

One one hand, this is America, where anything's possible. Why should we not allow gays to be married? It wouldn't PERSONALLY affect me, and it's really not my business anyway. Why should I care what some people I'll probably never meet or know do? Just let them live their life. I may not approve of it, but it's not my decision.

On the other hand, religion, morals, and other factors come in to play. While God loves EVERYONE, no matter what types of struggles they go through, He clearly says in certain Bible verses that homosexuality is wrong. And it's not GAYS He disapproves of, it's the ACT.
Morally, those who do not support gay marriage have their own personal reasons. Some common complaints I hear are: What do I tell my kids, even if I don't approve of the marriage? What can you possibly find attractive in the same sex (Just as a gay person may think:what can you find attractive in the opposite sex)? Why can't they be happy with civil unions? etc.
Also, many feel that marriage will lose it's prestige if gays are allowed to marry, just as luxury items lose their clout when everyone has them.

I'm not writing this to have people agree or disagree with me. In the end, it's ultimately not my choice. I do not have a problem with gays, lesbians, or anyone who is not considered "normal" ; if they need a helping hand, a shoulder to lean on, I'm here for them. If they're poor, I'm not going to turn them away because they're different. I don't care if you're promiscuous, if you have AIDS, or whatever the case may be. It's hard for people to have reliable friends these days, since we're in a "ME" generation. Being gay shouldn't be a reason to treat people different, even if you don't approve of their lifestyle.

But in the end, God comes first in my case, and that's why I voted no.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I would have to disagree with that pheremone part.
Are you always so cryptic? You do realize no one cares what you agree with or don't agree with if you don't provide your reasons for believing so. Someone states what they believe is a scientifically valid fact and all you say is "I disagree" and nothing else? Where does that leave us? This is supposed to be a forum for debating, we can't debate anything if you don't provide your reasoning. If you look through the thread many of us are leaving posts of length, writing out a paragraph or two to support our arguments. I haven't seen you write more than a sentence or two-that's not helpful and its not conducive to our discussion. Why don't you actually provide your reasons for believing something?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I believe in marriage because it is in our constitution for the pursuit of happiness.
That was the Declaration of Independence
I wasn't aware that marriage is mentioned in the declaration of independence.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 AM

because i have provided them numerous times before, can't someone just have an opinion without having to go into detail?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I'm really divided on this subject.

On the other hand, religion, morals, and other factors come in to play. While God loves EVERYONE, no matter what types of struggles they go through, He clearly says in certain Bible verses that homosexuality is wrong. And it's not GAYS He disapproves of, it's the ACT.
Fortunately, the US, at least theoretically, follows the principle of separation of church and state. In other words, if the only reason for not allowing gays to marry is religious in nature then the reason is insufficient. Religious belief is not an appropriate basis on which to formulate social policy. Many Americans, myself included, are not Christians. Furthermore, many Christians believe that the Bible shouldn't be taken literally. And beyond that, the only parts of the Bible which directly deal with homosexuality are in the Old Testament, the morals of which many Christian's argue are over-ridden by the New Testament. After all, the same book in the Bible that prohibits homosexual acts also says you should be put to death for eating shellfish and for lying in the same bed as a woman who happens to be on her period; you agree with that?

Quote:
Morally, those who do not support gay marriage have their own personal reasons. Some common complaints I hear are: What do I tell my kids, even if I don't approve of the marriage? What can you possibly find attractive in the same sex (Just as a gay person may think:what can you find attractive in the opposite sex)? Why can't they be happy with civil unions? etc.
These are pretty crappy reasons to prohibit two loving people from marrying. Regardless of whether or not gays can marry, they are going to continue to exist so parents who disapprove are still going to have to find some way to explain it to their kids. Additionally, as has been discussed at length in another thread in this forum (so I won't go into detail here) there is growing agreement among biologists that homosexuality has a genetic component and is most certainly not a choice.

Quote:
Also, many feel that marriage will lose it's prestige if gays are allowed to marry, just as luxury items lose their clout when everyone has them.
How in the world does affording two people who love each other deeply and who are in a committed and monogamous relationship cheapen the institution of marriage just because they happen to be of the same sex? All the while divorce in this country is rampant and people like Britney Spears are having whirlwind 55 hour weddings?

Quote:
I'm not writing this to have people agree or disagree with me. In the end, it's ultimately not my choice. I do not have a problem with gays, lesbians, or anyone who is not considered "normal" ; if they need a helping hand, a shoulder to lean on, I'm here for them. If they're poor, I'm not going to turn them away because they're different. I don't care if you're promiscuous, if you have AIDS, or whatever the case may be. It's hard for people to have reliable friends these days, since we're in a "ME" generation. Being gay shouldn't be a reason to treat people different, even if you don't approve of their lifestyle.
You know, it's obvious that you are trying really hard to sound as if you are tolerant and accepting, but its equally obvious that you really do have a problem with gays. You group gays in with "anyone who is not considered normal" - well, I along with many others consider gay people completely normal. You also seem to equate gay people with AIDS and promiscuity, a somewhat hurtful stereotype. You should really try to reflect more on your own hidden biases.

Quote:
But in the end, God comes first in my case, and that's why I voted no.
While I'm no Christian, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jesus preach unconditional love? And, what's more, in the US isn't marriage a secularized legal institution? So, shouldn't gay people who are in love be allowed to have the legal benefits of marriage? I mean, currently if one person in a long-term gay relationship is hospitalized his partner has no rights to see him or any say in his treatment... is that right?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware that marriage is mentioned in the declaration of independence.
Their point is that the Declaration of Independence recognizes a fundamental right to the 'pursuit of happiness' and that, for gay people, marriage is a necessary component in their pursuit of happiness. In other words, they're arguing that the institution of marriage is inherent in the phrase 'pursuit of happiness.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies