Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,710 times

Advertisements

Well that is 2 different things then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
My we have been busy little hamsters in just 12 hours. Talk about a hot button issue. Since no one gave me an answer I did some research. Even in countries where gay marriage is on offer only a fraction of the gay population bother to make use of it. In Massachusets I believe there are something like 350 married gay male couples. That isn't even 1% of the gay male population. Add to that, the fact that there are unknown numbers of gay men (and women) who won't admit to anyone that they are gay. Some won't even admit to themselves that they are gay... ... Would gay people like to admit now that there are maybe more serious issues with respect to being gay than the right to civil marriage?

There has been a lot of talk about marriage being about two people in love. It isn't. It wasn't. Sometimes you do get lucky though. Marriage is an incredible feat of social engineering and it has worked so well on its intended victims that it has collateral damage cases jumping up and down for their turn on the table. I should be impressed but I am merely bemused. Civil marriage will not be a good fit on the majority of gay men and women. It isn't even a good fit on the majority of straight men and women. Gay people want civil marriage to validate and affirm their choice to be gay. But straight people do not believe that it is a fact worthy of affirmation! Nor are we required to!! Whatever the reasons: genetics, personal choices, summer camp, straight people submit that there is something fundamentally flawed in the full-time choice of a same-sex partner. Does it happen? Yes. Can we tolerate it? Yes. Should we encourage it? No.

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 01-03-2009 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: removed possibly misunderstood humor

Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 AM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
because i have provided them numerous times before, can't someone just have an opinion without having to go into detail?
This is a debate forum, not a forum for airing your one-sentence opinion. It doesn't matter if you have provided them 'numerous times before' - there is no guarantee that the people reading this particular thread at this particular time have read them before. If you want to be part of the conversation then you need to provide your reasons where relevant, period. The reason people come to these forums is to debate which requires that reasons are presented for opposing viewpoints, otherwise theres no way to debate with you.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Those things are ILLEGAL and being GAY is NOT.

Duh

But gay marriage is and that is still the subject of this thread.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 AM

fine then I will tell you why I disagree with it, because it just wasn't so for me. I was attracted to the scent of my wife, not a hairy butt man----There hows that for TMI?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:09 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
fine then I will tell you why I disagree with it, because it just wasn't so for me. I was attracted to the scent of my wife, not a hairy butt man----There hows that for TMI?
First of all, you're a lying piece of junk...second of all, you still haven't given a reason. Nice try though, sorry you're in such angst.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof1FL View Post
This is a very sad comment but unfortunately shows the ignorance of many. I am sorry you feel this way. I am sorry you have no real love in your own life.

Thank you for the free condescension and complimentary psychobabble Dr. Momof1FL. Other than I shot down this stupid post, What do you know about me and the people in my life? Do you know how many people I have living in my home? How many children I have? Married/Single? Anything? Your comment is just as illogical as the OP.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 AM

and you are a lying piece of junk too.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 AM

I am in no angst, I know what I like and what I don't. I have no desire to sleep with a man, no desire to marry a man, no desire for a boyfriend. That pheremone analogy is flawed as I am proof of that. The natural scent of a man turns me off.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
and you are a lying piece of junk too.
Shall I direct you to the "About the Forum" section to give you a heads up on how to use this forum? Apparently, you still haven't gotten hold of the concept of "quoting"....I know, it's difficult. Now, I'm not the one who came on this forum & proceeded to insult homosexuals & then turn around & PRETEND to be one of them...I'll leave those honors for you....so tell me, how am I a lying piece of junk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies