Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
I have no problem with people voting how they want, however, it's a shame it was even allowed to be voted on, and I am sure the supreme court will rule JUST that... And it's a shame that black people cant figure out they are one red states vote away from losing some of their rights as well.

I live in Oklahoma, a place where most people did not vote for Obama because they 'aint voting for no N word".

Maybe Cali has forgot what the world is really like STILL for them, because black people, like gay people there actually do support each other's rights more so than the rest of the nation. And I think it's a shame the black community preachers took payola from bigoted groups outside of Cali such as the Mormans, then in turn preached about this issue. As a black person, I suggest you visit Salt Lake and see just how racist they are. They used you.
a) I voted NO on Prop 8 because I personally believe that gays have the right to marry

b) I am appalled that the gay community is using the Black community as a scapegoat for Prop 8 passing when our effect on the passing was marginal

c) I am also disturbed that the gay community DID NOT reach out to Black community to garner more support for their cause. If they had they would have received more No on 8 votes

d) The No on 8 campaign was ineffectively run and did not pose a compiling argument yet they still find it necessary to finger point to a group that had NOTHING to do with their strategy.

e) They are holding the Black population of CA (which is like 8 to 12%) accountable while ignoring the impact of the White and HIspanic communities which had the most significant effect on the outcome.

f) I am tired of Blacks being blamed for every failure, every lackluster effort, and being taken for granted

g) The support that the gay community could have gained from the Black community will fail off even more due to the irrational rage that is being tossed our direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Are you having a momentary break with reality?

Did someone who is black convey this information to you?

Please turn off the television and use a filter on what information you get from the racist Hollywood media.

Stop being delusional.
I used to live in a small southern town that was 50% black. If a white person forgot to renew their license plates on time, they were given a wink and a warning. If a black person did the same thing, they were sent to the country jail for 30 days. You don't think they fear the police? I lived where I could see the jail exercise yard from my window. 95% black in the jail. In the local paper, I could read the charges: Motor vehicle registration infractions, bounced $10 checks, no white people ever sent to jail for things like that.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The fear of homosexuality within the Black community is deeply rooted. This is not to say that aren't MANY Black homosexuals but the core of the Black community, the church, doesn't accept it. They actually fear it. Despite many stereotypes to the contrary, the Black communty can be very conservative in their views.

A Black mother is more devastated that her son is gay than in a violent gang. This is not going to change with angry marches.

The civil rights movement was such a looong struggle and took time for people to truly digest what was being fought for. The anti-Prop 8 marches in LA are very in your face with a "how dare you deny us" attitude. I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I do resent that the gay community is not willing to take the time, make the efforts and suffer the way that blacks did during the civil rights movement.

And while I do believe that they have the right to marry, I think that a lot of people believe that they have to pay their dues.
The African American population in large are very religious. When marriage started it was for religious reason but when government figured out they could make money on it they did so....and in doing so they have utterly destroyed the idea of marriage.....ie....50%+ failure rates. Add to that the glorification of utterly blowing any savings you have to have a imperial type marriage and it's just become utterly disgusting course of action. IMO of course.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,578 times
I am sure you were being facetious, but putting the words "black" and "uppity" in the same sentence is probably not a good way to make a point.

I don't think gay people should just sit back and accept this decision. You should organize, protest, etc. But I also believe it would be better to form coalitions with the black community. There are obviously some black voters who supported gay marriage - do make them regret doing so.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was being facetious, but also pointing out the irony that civil rights in the '60s weren't won by black people sitting quietly and taking it.

I don't advocate violence, but history has shown that there were times when it was necessary. Ever hear of the Stonewall Riots in 1968? It was a turning point in gay rights, when gay people had finally had enough and stood up for themselves.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:00 PM

511 posts, read 658,356 times
Quote:
a) I voted NO on Prop 8 because I personally believe that gays have the right to marry

b) I am appalled that the gay community is using the Black community as a scapegoat for Prop 8 passing when our effect on the passing was marginal

c) I am also disturbed that the gay community DID NOT reach out to Black community to garner more support for their cause. If they had they would have received more No on 8 votes

d) The No on 8 campaign was ineffectively run and did not pose a compiling argument yet they still find it necessary to finger point to a group that had NOTHING to do with their strategy.

e) They are holding the Black population of CA (which is like 8 to 12%) accountable while ignoring the impact of the White and HIspanic communities which had the most significant effect on the outcome.

f) I am tired of Blacks being blamed for every failure, every lackluster effort, and being taken for granted

g) The support that the gay community could have gained from the Black community will fail off even more due to the irrational rage that is being tossed our direction

The latinos are also one red state vote away as well. Im not singling out one group here, but the black group was the topic of the thread.

You seem to be making excuses over and over for black people to have voted against another minority groups civil rights, even though you did not--kudos btw. There is no excuse, there is also no excuse for anyone of any group, to have not been appalled at the issue in the first place because-- their Moral views have 0 place in our laws, because we have Separation of Church and State, and we are not a Theocracy. Anyone who values America and their own freedom needs to think long and hard at how this jeopardizes everyone's freedom.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I used to live in a small southern town that was 50% black. If a white person forgot to renew their license plates on time, they were given a wink and a warning. If a black person did the same thing, they were sent to the country jail for 30 days. You don't think they fear the police? I lived where I could see the jail exercise yard from my window. 95% black in the jail. In the local paper, I could read the charges: Motor vehicle registration infractions, bounced $10 checks, no white people ever sent to jail for things like that.
So you base your assumption that black people are "living in fear" on what you describe from seeing blacks in small towns?

You should broaden your horizons and take your mind out of the "small town" where many black people have been intimidated in the past. I am sure you know there are plenty of Gays who were intimidated and living in fear in small towns as well.

The context of this thread takes black people OUT of the small towns and places them up against a street full of screaming raving banshee homosexuals who shout racist epithets at them as they DRIVE DOWN SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD in Los Angeles in front of the Mormon temple.

I have never met the black person you describe in your post, never have and never will.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
I don't think blacks as a group are afraid of gays. It is the influence of churches.
Funny, South Africa allows gay marriage. I was watching a Canadian political satire and when they announced that SA now allows gay marriage they added a comment "guess what America, South Africa is now more progressive than you are".. it was worth a chuckle.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
You seem to be making excuses over and over for black people to have voted against another minority groups civil rights, even though you did not--kudos btw. There is no excuse, there is also no excuse for anyone of any group, to have not been appalled at the issue in the first place because-- their Moral views have 0 place in our laws, because we have Separation of Church and State, and we are not a Theocracy. Anyone who values America and their own freedom needs to think long and hard at how this jeopardizes everyone's freedom.
I am not making excuses but offering explanations, there is a big difference.

The gay community needs to learn that they need go outside of the walls of the communities they have created for themselves and reach out to other communities in order to get the support they need. They have NOT done this in LA. They haven't pay their dues in this respect.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM

511 posts, read 658,356 times
Quote:
I am not making excuses but offering explanations, there is a big difference.

The gay community needs to learn that they need go outside of the walls of the communities they have created for themselves and reach out to other communities in order to get the support they need. They have NOT done this in LA. They haven't pay their dues in this respect.
you seem to be spinning what you said. You said gays had not paid their dues, and your people paid theirs for 100 years, so it wasn't the black community obligation to support people that had not paid their dues.

But if you say the above is what you intended, alright.

But again I dont care who what when what you believe, no one not one single person should have voted to not allow gay people to marry. Not one, because our Moral views on marriage have zero place in this, how dare we not hold sacred our very freedom. It's a slap in the face to all people and to our veterans and to their familys who believe in America and our CORE laws.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
1) Blacks are being held more accountable just by being Black? So they HAVE TO rally behind any group's cause at that groups demands like we are a group of "Rent-A-Supporters"? We are NO ONE'S slaves.

2) The Black community did not actively seek out the support of other communities during the civil rights movement (others joined because they believed in the cause) We were not "disgusted" that Asians and Latinos did not join en masse but were grateful for the ones that joined of their own accord.

3) Stop treating the Black community as if WE owe YOU (the gay community) anything. We do not owe you!

4) The actions and backlash of some in the gay community in the aftermath of the passing of Prop 8 is pushing many would be supporters away. I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I am not happy that some very vocal elements of the gay community have resorted to name calling and just plain nastiness. It is making me rethink my support. Seriously.
Thank you for voicing this. Too bad I cannot rep you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies