Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree, the first "news" story has few facts and subsequent stories can change everything.
The pin said, ""It's called Christmas, for Christ's sake"...and any employee would, or should, know better than to wear that at work. Sounds like she figured , since she was quitting anyway, she'd wear it....HER choice.
If the store had asked her to remove the pin and she complied, then she should never had been fired. If she was combative, then the company could fire her for insubordination. I personally am troubled by this story as there are lots of companies going overboard with political correctness that they are squashing the civil liberties of Christians in their haste to be inclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Again, wearing the pin, telling her "story" to the press, and doing whatever to get fired does not impress me a good Christian conduct.

What is so impressively Christian about any of this?
It does appear that she acting "in-your-face" about making a statement and that is not what Christ calls us to be.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
If the store had asked her to remove the pin and she complied, then she should never had been fired. If she was combative, then the company could fire her for insubordination. I personally am troubled by this story as there are lots of companies going overboard with political correctness that they are squashing the civil liberties of Christians in their haste to be inclusive.

You surrender certain rights when you sign an employment agreement. And it is the responsibility of the employee to know and follow all company policies as they have been provided to him/her in the handbook. if he/she broke policy, then terminiation a just consequence for any infraction.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
No civil liberty of christians was squashed.
The civil liberties of everyone were upheld.
Once again, christians do NOT rule America, this is not a theocracy.

If you think christians should be able to dictate policy to corporations (like dictators)please ask them to cut CEO salaries....and share it with the poor like Jesus would've done.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No civil liberty of christians was squashed.
The civil liberties of everyone were upheld.
Once again, christians do NOT rule America, this is not a theocracy.

If you think christians should be able to dictate policy to corporations (like dictators)please ask them to cut CEO salaries....and share it with the poor like Jesus would've done.
If stores like Lowes want to profit off of Christmas, then they need to show more respect towards Christians.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
If stores like Lowes want to profit off of Christmas, then they need to show more respect towards Christians.
They respect christians by respecting EVERYONE who comes into their stores.

Lowes is a christian place of worship?????? I'm sure that would be news to them.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
From the article:
"Lowe's also says its employees may wish customers Merry Christmas, if they like."

Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Xians are not special.
This is the US, all people are supposed to be equal.
The attitude by xians that they are the most important people in the world is arrogant and off-putting.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Who?Me?,

I stand behind everything you say! Makes two of us!

She should have been fired if she refused to take it off. Like I said, work is not the place to bring your religion into no matter how much she tried.

If she wanted to she could wear a Cross. Many co workers of mine wear a Cross and no one has a problem with it. It is their belief. But the pin that she wore was rude! Not everyone celebrates. Keep it to yourself.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Who?Me?,

I stand behind everything you say! Makes two of us!

She should have been fired if she refused to take it off. Like I said, work is not the place to bring your religion into no matter how much she tried.

If she wanted to she could wear a Cross. Many co workers of mine wear a Cross and no one has a problem with it. It is their belief. But the pin that she wore was rude! Not everyone celebrates. Keep it to yourself.
Does the article say she refused to take the pin off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies