Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times

Advertisements

In a surprise move, state Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown asked the California Supreme Court on Friday to invalidate Proposition 8. He said the November ballot measure that banned gay marriage "deprives people of the right to marry, an aspect of liberty that the Supreme Court has concluded is guaranteed by the California Constitution."

It is the attorney general's duty to defend the state's laws, and after gay rights activists filed legal challenges to Proposition 8, which amended the Constitution to ban same-sex marriage, Brown said he planned to defend the proposition as enacted by the people of California.

But after studying the matter, Brown concluded that "Proposition 8 must be invalidated because the amendment process cannot be used to extinguish fundamental constitutional rights without compelling justification."

Jerry Brown: Gay-marriage ban should be invalidated | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Jerry Brown urges court to void Prop. 8 (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/12/19/state/n150241S64.DTL - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Thank goodness some people have brains and can think with the brain instead of the Bible.

Here is a smile and hugs to all my gay and lesbian friends out there and to all gays and lesbians I do not know!

I sincerely hope it gets invalidated and hope you all get the rights you deserve.

*crosses fingers for you all*

Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Thank you, liberalvoice. This was a nice surprise because just a couple of hours prior to this news, it was announced that the Yes On 8 organization had filed to nullify all 18,000 same-sex marriages performed over the summer in California. A cruel move, for sure, but not a shock.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Thank you, liberalvoice. This was a nice surprise because just a couple of hours prior to this news, it was announced that the Yes On 8 organization had filed to nullify all 18,000 same-sex marriages performed over the summer in California. A cruel move, for sure, but not a shock.
You simply can't be serious...

Who the heck are these Yes on 8 organizers anyways and who do they think they are to take away others rights?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Who the heck are these Yes on 8 organizers anyways and who do they think they are to take away others rights?
Really. Next thing you know, they'll claim that initiatives and referenda are legal expressions of the popular will.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:

In a way, it could be a good move. It makes their side look mean-spirited, and I have a feeling that the Supreme Court won't look at it too kindly since it was their decision that led to those marriages.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,332 times
I think the citizens of California ought to invalidate the Attorney General and send him packing.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
I think the citizens of California ought to invalidate the Attorney General and send him packing.
Why?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,332 times
Because gays do not have a fundamental,inherent right to marry the same sex. The constitution was changed to protect traditional marriage, and that is what the people of California have decided. This Attorney General is thwarting the will of the people, and in essence giving gays legal power that not even straights have.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Quote:
Thank goodness some people have brains and can think with the brain instead of the Bible.

Here is a smile and hugs to all my gay and lesbian friends out there and to all gays and lesbians I do not know!

I sincerely hope it gets invalidated and hope you all get the rights you deserve.

*crosses fingers for you all*
Although I sympathize with your position The guy really doesn't have a much of a case. We posted portions of the Caliofornia Constitution here in this forum. It's very vague and doesnt say anything at all about rights for gays. That's why he mentions this liberty angle...On sentence said something about liberty and he's playing this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies