Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to Spend The Money?
Repair Crumbling Schools/Build New Schools 1 5.26%
Repair Crumbling Roads & Bridges/Build New Roads 3 15.79%
Replace Old Public Transit Bus Fleets/Expand Subways 2 10.53%
Rebuild & Build New Railroad Service 4 21.05%
Expand Wireless and Internet Infrastucture 0 0%
Other 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,921,855 times

Advertisements

Housing, health care, and work for immigrants who want the jobs americans refuse to do.
Obama promised us during his campaign that EVERY PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO THE AMERICAN DREAM OF HOME OWNERSHIP.
Let's see if he keeps his promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 02:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,675,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Housing, health care, and work for immigrants who want the jobs americans refuse to do.
Obama promised us during his campaign that EVERY PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO THE AMERICAN DREAM OF HOME OWNERSHIP.
Let's see if he keeps his promise.
Hope you don't disappoint easily Because the current situtation was caused by the later.....

Old 12-28-2008, 02:50 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,945,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Rail systems for sure. There used to be rail/trolley/subway systems even in relatively small cities like Bakersfield but they were ripped up to make way for expanding roads. In California especially there is almost no room left on the roads and commutes are hellish. Even some of the relatively prolific transportation systems on the east coast look old compared to the ones in Europe. I personally would prefer to live somewhere where I don't have to drive a car to work and I know a lot of people who would agree.
I definately agree ... I think expanded rail, subway and public transportation is something California needs as traffic becomes a nightmare. Unfortunately, too many Californians are heavy into the car culture which is why there are more roads being built versus rail.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,945,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
That's the main problem, it's a cycle. The government doesn't spend enough money on effective, quick light-rail/subway/etc. systems so not enough people ride them. Since not enough people ride them, the government doesn't see why they should spend more money building them. We need to snap out of our love affair with cars. If it was up to me, when I'm older I'd live near a rail system in a town/suburb that went straight to the city and only have one family car that got good mileage to get around the town/suburb itself but not to drive to work.
It's the old catch-22. I feel the exact same way and I wish that our commuter rail in So Cal would have expanded service.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM

540 posts, read 628,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
President Obama is prepared to spend several hundred billion on the American infrastructure. God only knows we need it. But what do we think his priority should be in spending this money? I have heard lots of ideas- some I think are good, others rather bizzare. What do you think should be at the top of the list?
Really, "God only knows we need it,"
Really.
Where do we need it friend?
We have a highway and bridge system that should be ranked as the eighth wonder of the world. We have private business entities using social subsidies interconnecting each community with fiber optic to enhance state of the art communications.
We have new schools standing all ove the place. Those schools should be built and are intended to last 50 years just like your home without much overall refurbishment and yet ghetto style upbringings of our children tatter them in five years.
Just where the hell do you think we need to pour money down the drain? Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies