Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I'm thinking the government cares too much about us. I feel as though they are parenting us as if we are little children who can not figure it out for ourselves so they are going to help us with that. They will do so by enacting the nanny laws that govern our every day activities.

There use to be proactive people (historically 1970's past) that they would hold the government in check to the constitution in that "we the people" and you work for us. Since the 90's I have seen proactive lobbyist, however their effectiveness seems to have become diminished. (I wish I could give exact examples here to back my argument, but at the present I have a head cold and thinking it difficult)

I was listening to a segment of Biz Radio (you can find the air spot on the Internet) they are out of Houston and air also in Dallas, and they talked about Switzerland's economy was strong and there you find mostly renters, rather than the homeowner. They also mention Britain's economy strength and they also had an example that depict a compare ratio along with several other's. Like China (I think) backed their automakers to keep their people employed.
The government "cares" about us just enough to milk the people out of lots of money. And give much of that money to themselves and their friends. perhaps there was a time when they were servicing the people but not they are not. They are just making ends meet for themselves and punishing many people. I don't think of the government as a good parent but an abusive parent and that needs to change. It will eventually but will it be a peaceful way or violent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
The government "cares" about us just enough to milk the people out of lots of money. And give much of that money to themselves and their friends. perhaps there was a time when they were servicing the people but not they are not. They are just making ends meet for themselves and punishing many people. I don't think of the government as a good parent but an abusive parent and that needs to change. It will eventually but will it be a peaceful way or violent?
Off the top of my head on the reply. "you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

fear being the fight or flight---some will fight.

However, I can't help be feel that the proactive movements are much fewer today than that of 70s past. And I'm thinking it's fear...

Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That was depressing....tell currer I said hello.
Gezz I can't believe I am so slow. Currer would be my sister...in the pseudo world. I have had this pseudo via the Internet since 1998 and you are the first that I know of that gets it. I originally wanted to go with Ellis as I am her, reincarnated. In other words. I think like her.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 AM

"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it."
-- Douglas MacArthur --

Living in Fear of Our Government (http://www.populistamerica.com/living_in_fear_of_our_government - broken link)

is a letter and in it the author Cliff Carson has this to say:

This link takes you to the H.R. 6166 - the Military Commissions Act of 2006. This act allows Bush to name any American Citizen an "Enemy Combatant" and legalizes seizing and imprisoning without notice to anyone. It also removes any right of challenge to the charge. Getting scared yet? The Act also legalizes anything that has been done in the "War on Terror."

OK, now I'm really getting uncomfortable.

I'm actually wondering if I should be writing this. Can I be whisked away in the middle of the night, never to heard from again, with my family unknowing as to what has happened? And maybe I would be sent to one of the prisons KBR has been paid $385 million to build, with a total capacity of 2 million prisoners?

Recently I experienced a bit of paranoia in that, for the first time in my life I realized that everything I did, every one I talked on the phone through email, heck even typing this out can and might be monitored and taken out of context and just like the guy said above, be whisked away. Not to mention I may have been putting those whom I spoke to in jeopardy as well. It was not a good feeling and it was very very real to me.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-30-2008 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: took out html codes

Old 12-30-2008, 12:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
no, i love em. but we need to take away their visa, asap.
we probably wont. we handle our bad guys same way we handle out naughty children, we dont.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no, i love em. but we need to take away their visa, asap.
we probably wont. we handle our bad guys same way we handle out naughty children, we dont.
America doesn't seem to be as strict as other countries. gesturing can be miss interpreted in other countries and they will whisk you away. or so I have heard.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yeah, those people in Ghana and El Salvador sure do have it good.
remember US involvement in crimes in el salvador

Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
remember US involvement in crimes in el salvador
no i don't know, do tell. this is why my question is here. educate and explore what we know. some people know things that other's don't.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies