Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 AM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Alief, ('burb of Houston) in the late 70's and 80's.
in the 70's it was 99% white, in the 80's as the economy in the area went down it caused the first great white flight. Many of the residents that stayed in state moved to Katy and Sugar Land.
by the later 80's 90's Asian (Indian & Chinese) Flight from area also has taken place.
today Alief is also a high crime low to lower middle class area.

Interestingly the 'burb I live in today Sugar Land...has gone from 99% white to about 66% from 1970-2008
The largest increase in numbers in that period is still white, however, a sizable number Indian and Chinese people call Sugar Land home today.(24%). it seems to more of a socioeconomic flight in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I lived in the IE. I gladly escaped to Oklahoma and a small town this year. Why?

The illegal problem... Pardon me if I'm concerned about the influx of people who are not legally here, may carry diseases, may be criminals, often do not speak english. Where I lived the first house, it started out as a diverse area. Middle classish income. In ten years it became almose completely hispanic. I and one other family, when I left, were white. They were also moving. Many of my neighbors did not speak english.

The crowing. There are way way way too many people. The IE has a population that far outdoes its capacity to supply water and the grid is so tricky in the summer heat it has an outage every year. Whatever the state was, its not anymore. And I am a third generation native. A LOTof native calis who can't find their state anymore are gone or going.

Crime. In two years my apartment was overrun by the druggie corps. Next door the nice elderly lady went back east to visit one of her sons. Her other son had druggies banging on the door at 3am and half the stuff in the apartment dissapeared out the door. There were more burglaries (the police have an automated like for reporting them) and the druggies who habited the field a ways away were wandering around the parking lot. A fried from Arizona who heard this stuff when we were on the phone was trying to find a way to come out and watch our for me.

Cost of living. I'm on a fixed income. I had a tiny apartment in an area going downhill that was cheaper than most. The rents went up when it was sold and it was encroaching on 900 dollars a month. Forget the cost of houses unless you went for one of those easy morgages. When I moved I could not afford a place that was in a neighborhood I'd live in.

Feeling like I was living in Mexico. Across the street there were two markets, both hispanic. The signs were in spanish. I went much further away to get my food where english was spoken. Half the music playing at Walmart was hispanic and everything was announced in both languages. Maybe its racist to some people, but I wanted to live somewhere I did not have to speak two languages. Diversity is great, but that is not diversity.

I very much like that Oklahoma has adapted the same law about immigration that Arizona has. Every state needs to pass it but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:
the frown face is because the huge influx of white people running away from more diverse places... has made the population boom here to where the standard of living is not as good......and housing prices are absurd. Also, I would want to see more diversity move to boise, rather than white california transplants trying to get away from the "brown" people...
any major shopping center around here seems to be like a sea of bottle blonde heads, and every other license plate is California... Idaho is attracting white conservatives from elsewhere... historically idaho has been very much conservative yes, but more libertarian in nature... this new influx of people certainly is a different culture.. of plastic fantastic... shopping malls, cheesecake factories, and ruth's chris steak houses.. while independent long established merchants fall by the wayside...
So do you think think the standard of living in Boise would greatly improve if it experienced a huge influx of Blacks for example moving there ? After all it did wonders for cities like Detroit and Compton just to name a few.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
So do you think think the standard of living in Boise would greatly improve if it experienced a huge influx of Blacks for example moving there ? After all it did wonders for cities like Detroit and Compton just to name a few.
many blacks have moved here.. i work with a guy from chicago who is black.. he had to go back to chicago for his brother's funeral because he was shot in a bad drug deal.
This man that I work with owns his own house here in boise and is going to boise state (NOT on a scholarship or sports related) he sent for his surviving little brother to come and live with him and finish high school. All is well for them, and he loves it here.
Predominantly WHITE californians have moved here, sold their houses pre bubble burst for 700k and came to boise driving up the prices thinking 250K on the same house was a good deal. and didn't bat an eyelash when the prices even soared to 400k. Keep in mind that before 2000 you could buy a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2000+ sqft house in a nice boise neighborhood for 120k
in 2005 that price was driven up to mid 400k's in many places.. all in 5 years..
the only reason why there is any decline in home values in boise related to this economic slump is because of the mentality of the white flight californians bringing their bubble with them...
When in rome.. do as the romans.. sadly these people do not follow this principle... reality set in.. when they finally landed a job in idaho that paid less than what they needed to afford their "cheap" 400k mortgage... because there was so many of them.. it forced locals that have lived here their whole life to have to penny up to those prices if they wanted to participate in the american dream....

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I grew up in Alief, ('burb of Houston) in the late 70's and 80's.
in the 70's it was 99% white, in the 80's as the economy in the area went down it caused the first great white flight. Many of the residents that stayed in state moved to Katy and Sugar Land.
by the later 80's 90's Asian (Indian & Chinese) Flight from area also has taken place.
today Alief is also a high crime low to lower middle class area.

Interestingly the 'burb I live in today Sugar Land...has gone from 99% white to about 66% from 1970-2008
The largest increase in numbers in that period is still white, however, a sizable number Indian and Chinese people call Sugar Land home today.(24%). it seems to more of a socioeconomic flight in this region.
The smart people are moving to places like the Heights where prices are reasonable, the area is minutes from downtown, neighborhoods are diverse, and the houses aren't full of frightened redneck with a death grip on a 357 or AK-47 waiting to be assaulted by the "brown invasion."

Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Hey Jeff Stormfront is calling!!!!

I'm black, born and raised in the ghetto and moved into an upper class, 85% white suburb.
Guess what I did not bring in drugs and gangs, saggy pants, and loud music.

I grew up in Detroit and if you believe that the crime is due simply because of race I'll allow to to remain "uninformed" for lack of a better word.

For the racist the only issue is "black skin" for the rational people it's "will or do they value the same beliefs, institutions, and conduct" that the majority of that area abide to".

I guess you are the type to believe that if many blacks had a true pathway to a career and education that they would still prefer to live a lifestyle of violence, death, and inprisonment.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Hey Jeff Stormfront is calling!!!!
It is a fact that cities in the U.S that have a majority Black population tend to have a significantly higher than the national average rate of violent crimes. It is not my fault that you can not handle the truth.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
It is a fact that cities in the U.S that have a majority Black population tend to have a significantly higher than the national average rate of violent crimes. It is not my fault that you can not handle the truth.
I bet you can connect the dots though on the issue... remember back in kindergarten all those fun connect the dots books...
I think anyone that really understands the problem can tell you that in your little rant.. you can substitute poor for black.. and it would render the same statistics.. then look at the population of blacks who are poor.. and you get you get your answer...

skin color does not make you more prone for street crime.. poverty does...

Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I bet you can connect the dots though on the issue... remember back in kindergarten all those fun connect the dots books...
I think anyone that really understands the problem can tell you that in your little rant.. you can substitute poor for black.. and it would render the same statistics.. then look at the population of blacks who are poor.. and you get you get your answer...

skin color does not make you more prone for street crime.. poverty does...
West Virginia for example has it's fare share of poor Whites, yet their crime/murder rate is nowhere near Detroit/Compton/Washington DC/St. Louis/New Orleans levels. How do you explain that ?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
West Virginia for example has it's fare share of poor Whites, yet their crime/murder rate is nowhere near Detroit/Compton/Washington DC/St. Louis/New Orleans levels. How do you explain that ?
Urban versus Rural. In fact Hertford and Bertie counties, rural majority black counties in North Carolina have a murder/crime rate comperable to several small West Virginia counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies