Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

when they leave its "white flight"
when they return its "gentrification".
they try to go someplace where they are welcome and they feel safe
but i tell you its rough going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think "white flight" is generally a historical issue, generally coming from the school busing and other desegregation efforts of the mid 1960's through the early 1980's. I don't think it is much of an ongoing issue.
The trend in may areas now is the opposite. Whites with money are moving back to the urban areas and are buying and/or fixing up real estate closer to downtown areas in order to reduce or avoid commuting.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Quote:
when they leave its "white flight"
when they return its "gentrification".
they try to go someplace where they are welcome and they feel safe
but i tell you its rough going.
Yeah it is basically damned if you do, and damned if you don't. If Whites move away from Blacks they are seen as racist for not wanting to be in their presence and if they move into Black neighborhoods and try to gentrify it and make the quality of life there better they are seen as racists for driving lower income Blacks out of their own community. You can never please them.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Urban versus Rural. In fact Hertford and Bertie counties, rural majority black counties in North Carolina have a murder/crime rate comperable to several small West Virginia counties.
He doesn't want to hear stuff like that, it would make all the stories "mom" and "pop" told him about black people a little less true.

He reminds me of a western I once saw where the white man in charge of Indian Affairs was stealing all the money instead of purchasing food for the Indians, who were in turn forced to eat their dogs instead of starving to death. The man's wife took offense to riding in the coach with an "half-Indian" passenger whose people were so savage that they even ate dogs, so he was forced to ride up top with the coachman.

Well the coach was robbed and the people made to go it on foot, the Indian had to try to help them survive. Well after a days of no food and water, and everyone begging and starving , the Indian asks the once haughty white woman if she would eat dog now.
You can see that she would even though she still wants to keep up false appearances.

Until people like Jeff get stripped of his "privileged" status and had to live with the obstacles that blacks have to overcome, not limited to "separate and unequal" schools, and limited job availability, he and people like him who make stereotypical judgments on ALL blacks can never understand his role in the problem he helps to create and perpetuate.

He's the type that if I were to walk down his street or a meeting where he works it would not matter my morality, goals, accomplishments or, abilities; it would only matter to him that I am black, and he'd probably nudge the guy beside him and sneer, "look there goes one of them now".

Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
In Florida, whites are relegated to the West coast and Northern Florida. MIdwesterners love to vacation in on the West coast ie Naples, Sanibel Island, Captiva Island, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, Tampa, etc.

SE Florida is another country unless you are super rich or used to 3rd world standards.

Central FL is in the 'browning process', but I don't think whites are necessarily fleeing C Florida. Immigrants are simply overpopulating but there is enough space up there for everybody to live where they want without feeling overcrowded like SE Florida

Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Yeah it is basically damned if you do, and damned if you don't. If Whites move away from Blacks they are seen as racist for not wanting to be in their presence and if they move into Black neighborhoods and try to gentrify it and make the quality of life there better they are seen as racists for driving lower income Blacks out of their own community. You can never please them.
They have the right to vote, they have a black president...I mean sheesh, what else do they want, right?

CD's political section is always good for a laugh now & again!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
In California, the trend is not just "White Flight" but "Black Flight" as well. And "Middle Class" flight. I think overall its more the people who see the neighborhood/state/city going down hill and leave. That included a lot more than whites.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,524 times
White flight is a phenomenon that started a number of decades ago. Not just in large
East Coast cities, but cities all over America. The phenomenon was very pronounced in cities that had forced busing. Whites fled the inner cities and moved to the suburbs where their children could attend the schools in their own communities.

In most cities, as whites became more affluent, they fled the crime, dirt and congestion of the cities for the suburbs where they could have large homes on large lots for raising kids. Schools were better, shopping and jobs followed and eventually many of these suburbs became economic engines--Bellevue, Washington, for example. Frankly, many people sought refuge minorities, most though, just wanted wide open spaces.

One interesting trend happening now, though, is flight to the "exurbs", areas outside the suburbs. These areas are usually in the country. Some of these areas are becoming suburbanized. Others are remaining rural. Many others are far away from urban areas because people can telecommute and avoid the crime, pollution, political constipation and congestion of larger cities.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
I don't know why white people even try it, because we're everywhere. Wherever ya'll go, we'll find you. =P

Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
What is interesting is that in this area (Washington, DC) the phenomenon of "Black Flight" is beginning to occur. People are moving out of the heavily black jurisdictions to areas that a few years ago were considered so far out that no one would move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies