Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 PM

478 posts, read 959,587 times

Advertisements

These are two amazing speeches given over 45 years ago... by two of the greatest Presidents this country has ever known.

Warnings from the past......... That have undoubtedly come true.

And to those of you who don't believe in "conspiracies", etc. - it certainly is interesting to hear President Kennedy tell the American public point blank.... that all is not as it seems. To me, these are some of the most - if not the most - incredible words ever spoken by an American President. It is very telling. And we all know what happened to him.

So.... want to know what two REAL AMERICAN PRESIDENTS... who care about their country sound like?

Have a listen.

YouTube - Eisenhower on the Military Industrial Complex

YouTube - President John F Kennedy Secret Society Speech version 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
I don't know about so much a conspiracy as "this is how things ended up developing". Either way though, I feel that it's not really all that great for our country. Why We Fight is a pretty solid documentary covering the development of the military industrial complex.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
I have no idea how you have taken Kennedy's speech and conflated it with Eisenhower's farewell address, they are on completely different topics with two completely different messages. Kennedy's speech was a chastised the press for not understanding (in his world view) the need to self-censure itself as a part of the Cold War effort. The secret society that he was referring to was the "international communist conspiracy" that certainly wasn't what Eisenhower was warning about.

"Nevertheless, my purpose here tonight is not to deliver the usual assault on the so-called one party press. On the contrary, in recent months I have rarely heard any complaints about political bias in the press except from a few Republicans. Nor is it my purpose tonight to discuss or defend the televising of Presidential press conferences. I think it is highly beneficial to have some 20,000,000 Americans regularly sit in on these conferences to observe, if I may say so, the incisive, the intelligent and the courteous qualities displayed by your Washington correspondents.
Nor, finally, are these remarks intended to examine the proper degree of privacy which the press should allow to any President and his family.
If in the last few months your White House reporters and photographers have been attending church services with regularity, that has surely done them no harm.
On the other hand, I realize that your staff and wire service photographers may be complaining that they do not enjoy the same green privileges at the local golf courses that they once did.
It is true that my predecessor did not object as I do to pictures of one's golfing skill in action. But neither on the other hand did he ever bean a Secret Service man.
My topic tonight is a more sober one of concern to publishers as well as editors.
I want to talk about our common responsibilities in the face of a common danger. The events of recent weeks may have helped to illuminate that challenge for some; but the dimensions of its threat have loomed large on the horizon for many years. Whatever our hopes may be for the future--for reducing this threat or living with it--there is no escaping either the gravity or the totality of its challenge to our survival and to our security--a challenge that confronts us in unaccustomed ways in every sphere of human activity.
This deadly challenge imposes upon our society two requirements of direct concern both to the press and to the President--two requirements that may seem almost contradictory in tone, but which must be reconciled and fulfilled if we are to meet this national peril. I refer, first, to the need for a far greater public information; and, second, to the need for far greater official secrecy."

By the way, the YouTude rendition was a nice piece of cut and paste.

The President and the Press: Address before the American Newspaper Publishers Association - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Dwight Eisenhower never got much credit for being a particularly good President. But the truth is, he knew what he was talking about. The problem is that not enough people (in or out of positions of power) listened to him.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
eisenhower was a great man.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
it seems these clips have something to add to the original theme.

YouTube - The Federal Reserve - Forgotten History

YouTube - Zeitgeist - The Movie- Federal Reserve (Part 1 of 5)

Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
JFK one of the best presidents? That venereal disease spreading, sexual profligate who had a dangerous drug addiction? That JFK?

Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
eisenhower was a great man.

He played golf - like he was told to do.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
JFK one of the best presidents? That venereal disease spreading, sexual profligate who had a dangerous drug addiction? That JFK?

Spose that's why he was assinated?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have no idea how you have taken Kennedy's speech and conflated it with Eisenhower's farewell address, they are on completely different topics with two completely different messages. Kennedy's speech was a chastised the press for not understanding (in his world view) the need to self-censure itself as a part of the Cold War effort. The secret society that he was referring to was the "international communist conspiracy" that certainly wasn't what Eisenhower was warning about.
I think it's very appropriate to link the two. Back in those days stewardship was a REQUIREMENT of office for any political party. We had a right to expect that of them. Now we expect spin doctors in it for themselves. Citizens of every walk of life are jaded by politics as usual.
http://74.125.93.104/search?q=cache:-K6PVmG_xm8J:www.clas.ufl.edu/users/bron/PDF--Christianity/Bakken--Stewardship.pdf+define+stewardship&cd=2&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=us&client=safari (broken link)
Quote:
The term “stewardship” derives from “steward,” one who looks after property belonging to
another, such as a household or estate. It has been increasingly used in Judaism, Christianity, and
Islam as a basis for a religious environmental ethic. (It is, however, generally considered to be alien
to Eastern and indigenous traditions.) In this usage, human beings (individually or collectively) are
the “stewards,” God is the “owner,” and the “property” is the created world (or that part of it which
humans can affect). Humans are thus responsible for rightly using and conserving natural resources
as gifts from God, or for caring for creation on behalf of its Creator.
Even if you're not religious, you have to be willing to see that this deeper meaning has gone by the wayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies