Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,090,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
ummm...how about the fact that he is a worthless thug and maybe he is tired of wasting good oxygen? sounds like a good enough reason to me. they should give him his gun back now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I saw an article sometime ago with updates on the "Jena 6" and several of them have been in a ton of trouble. I'll have to dig the article up; for all their celebrity status (guest hosts of the MTV hip hop awards, etc.) you'd think these guys would be examples of upstanding black youth who were caught up in a moment of righteous indignation when they beat that white kid up.

Sadly, and not surprisingly, they're not.
Actually according to the wikipedia article you yourself posted, four of the six are bettering themselves so far.

Surprise!

This one who shoplifted and shot himself has a pretty ugly story and may or may not overcome it or try to overcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM

1,932 posts, read 1,821,888 times
Booker_one thanks for being judge and jury.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,397,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Actually according to the wikipedia article you yourself posted, four of the six are bettering themselves so far...
Purvis, Jones, Bell, and Beard all got themselves into further trouble.

Beard it appears hasn't been arrested but is now attending a private school of some sort because he got into so much trouble in his prior school; using the funds that were collected for the defense of the group, to pay for his tuition.

They're a bunch of thugs who made it into the news because they acted like a bunch of thugs.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Purvis, Jones, Bell, and Beard all got themselves into further trouble.

Beard it appears hasn't been arrested but is now attending a private school of some sort because he got into so much trouble in his prior school; using the funds that were collected for the defense of the group, to pay for his tuition.

They're a bunch of thugs who made it into the news because they acted like a bunch of thugs.
You're right, ordinarily the nooses in the school tree wouldnt have made any news.

The two you snipped out of your quote, Bailey and Shaw, didnt get into any more trouble and are out of Jena and doing well. Jones got his HS diploma and has moved out of Jena and is working. Purvis is in college.

Beard is not attending the private school "because he got into so much trouble at his prior school." If it werent legal to use the funds to pay for school it wouldnt be happening. | New Milford Times - Louisiana youth getting a break

Bell's the one the thread is about. I hope he gets out of Jena and does well, too.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 AM

Well, it's good that two of the six thugs cleaned up their act.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

? I would have said five of the six are doing well instead of four, but the only report for Shaw is that he graduated from HS, nothing about what he's doing job/college-wise. He's one of the two you snipped out - you know, the two who hadn't been in any further trouble.

The point is, it's possible even for "worthless thugs" to turn around and move toward happy and successful lives. Dont write your fellow human beings off so quickly.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,932,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I wonder what made him do this. So sad.

White racism of course!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
? I would have said five of the six are doing well instead of four, but the only report for Shaw is that he graduated from HS, nothing about what he's doing job/college-wise. He's one of the two you snipped out - you know, the two who hadn't been in any further trouble.

The point is, it's possible even for "worthless thugs" to turn around and move toward happy and successful lives. Dont write your fellow human beings off so quickly.
I'm seriously not trying to argue with you, but I still only see two who have stayed out of trouble. Am I math challenged?

Purvis: Assault

Jones: Battery

Bell: Car troubles, leaving the area, shoplifting, resisting arrest, and simple assault, shooting himself (plus the SWM - "Shovel-Wielding-Mom", but that's not his fault)

Beard: recommended for expulsion for thirteen disciplinary actions

That leaves two who have stayed out of the news.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,815,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
UPDATE: Jena Six Arrest (http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=9591764 - broken link)

First he is arrested for shoplifting (fine upstanding citizen isn't he) and now he shoots himself and is in the hospital.

what does this have to do with the racial injustice conflict of the actual incidident that occur last year? not a thing.

i notice something, and that i whites find any circustance of these individuals and try to sabatoge them who in the hell said they were upstanding citizens to begunw with, the original conflict was based on racial injustice.

if he committed or commits crimes after that thats on him, how and why is this news is beyond me and shows that the crazy media would like to link last year with today.

as i said before who in the hell said the jena 6 were all upstanding citizens? if the person commits an act of crime he or she will get whats coming to them but with the way they have those courts in te south they for sure wont get a fair trial esp where they live

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-30-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm seriously not trying to argue with you, but I still only see two who have stayed out of trouble. Am I math challenged?
I know, me either, but the point is look where they are NOW. All of them are doing well now, except this one last guy. And maybe this will be a turning point for him somehow.

Beard - Without going back and looking at the article, Beard's 13 recommendations for expulsion were dropped. Maybe it was a negotiation, who knows, but they must have been pretty nit-picky for all 13 of them to be overturned; JMO but seems like the Jena school really wanted him to be expelled. But look what he was capable of, in a different environment - he was an intern in the attorney's office and took summer classes, and wasn't sent home; he's going to a pretty decent school, no doubt admitted in part on that hiring attorney's thumbs-up, and AFAIK he's still there.

Last edited by delusianne; 12-30-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies