Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

Hello. Let me introduce myself. I am Fred Garvin and this is my first thread. I saw this story and was floored. When I was in 5th grade this sort of thing would have never happened. I think this is wrong but do any of you agree that this 5th grader should be allowed to give a pro gay speech? What I want to know is would the 5th grader be allowed to give a 'anti gay' speech to his classmates? Edit: For some reason the forum is not allowing me to post the link. I am sorry. 5th-grader given OK for pro-’gay’ speech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
an anti gay speech would be viewed as hate speech, but I dont see much wrong with a 5th grader making a speech provided its from their own words. At 5th grade, you're old enough to know whats going on, but I'd be curious how much imput the teacher and mother had.

He's entitled to his own opinion and shouldnt be silenced for it, just because other disagree.. That being said, I feel the same way about those who want to give religion speeches but not allowed, and I'm neither gay, nor religious.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Apparently it was decided he should not give the speech at graduation so he spoke about something else, this will be a given at an assembly for some 5th graders and apparently with parental approval. It's about marriage rights, which is a legal issue being discussed in his state right now. This isn't like religion, it's actual current events.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,464,208 times
5th grade is a great time to start the social engineering aspect of their education. The math, history, readin and writin can wait.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
5th grade is a great time to start the social engineering aspect of their education. The math, history, readin and writin can wait.
It's also a great time to learn public speaking and critical thinking about the world and current events and points of law. Note this is a student, not a teacher, wanting to speak. You should encourage that sort of thing. Maybe one will have an opinion you share and then how proud you will be.. Or they could just play video games I guess.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
I am so old ...

When I was in 5th Grade, I actually went to an elementary school that was segregated. That's right, even though there were black kids living less than a mile from my school they had to go to another school (an inferior one at that!) that was just for black kids.

We 5th graders knew it was wrong to discriminate. It was 1960's and we heard the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King.

I think things are not so different today.

LGBT rights is the Civil Rights Movement of the 21st Century.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,680 times
What was the specific assignment? Unless it was specifically about gays, I can't imagine any 10-11 yr old coming up with this topic unless guided to....much less have any substance based on experience or desire to learn about gayness.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
What was the specific assignment? Unless it was specifically about gays, I can't imagine any 10-11 yr old coming up with this topic unless guided to....much less have any substance based on experience or desire to learn about gayness.
really? You must not know the majority of 10 to 11 year olds today then!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I can very well imagine kids discussing this topic. Although I admit I live in a big city in the northeast. Kids are coming out younger and younger these days. There were thousands of kids watching the gay pride parade here a week ago.

LGBT rights, same sex marriage, gayness is a major topic to most Americans who can read a newspaper or magazine, turn on the television, go online, listen to the current music, go to the movies, etc. are exposed to. Yes that includes 5th graders.

Do you seriously think kids oblivious to this topic?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 PM

68 posts, read 41,533 times
What is our nation coming to. They shouldn't even be talking about pro or against....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies