Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Please, it must be some really weird, liberal definition of a "desert".

LIBERALS............Bleating over and over and over....."inner city....nowhere to get food".

So, here is one definition:
Food desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A food desert is any area in the industrialized world where healthful, affordable food is difficult to obtain. Food deserts are prevalent in rural as well as urban areas and are most prevalent in low-socioeconomic minority communities.

I wonder how many different definitions of "difficult to obtain" you could come up with.....haha, walking a mile....oh the horror.....you are in a food desert.....LMFAO.

And if you live out is the sticks....away from everything......lol, what are they supposed to do.....build a grocery right up to your door.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I don't see what's wrong with the idea of a food desert. It's good to identify areas in cities that are lacking in decent food options so that city planners can try and invigorate development there.

Parts of Southeast DC, until recently, barely had more than a couple sit-down restaurants... mostly just carryouts serving crappy food and fast food joints.

http://dcist.com/2011/05/new_online_..._districts.php

Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
walking a mile....oh the horror.....you are in a food desert.....
How often do you walk a mile with your groceries?

NB4: 15 miles uphill both ways carrying enough groceries for a family of 18

Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
It actually has some basis in reality, but it does tend to help if you're not closed-minded to begin with.

For years in West Oakland, there was not a single grocery store. The correlation of access to fresh fruits and vegetables and disposable income has been well documented in this area. And there are real health consequences for it. You may be perhaps shocked to learn that beef jerky and cans of coke do not constitute "real, healthy food".

Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 PM

298 posts, read 389,869 times
Poor people aren't literally in a food desert. There's food available, just not as great a selection as there is in low-crime neighborhoods.

What's next? Bloomingdale's deserts?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM

In fact, according to that map I linked to, I live in a "food desert." I can believe it; there aren't very many grocery stores in this part of town. I'd be pretty vexed if I didn't have access to a car to buy groceries with. The bus that stops near the store doesn't come often especially in the evening on weekends and it's too far to go walking (especially when buying a bunch of groceries).

Sadly the roommate whose car I borrow is probably moving at the end of her lease >_< so I guess I'll be bussing it till I get a car.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I don't see what's wrong with the idea of a food desert. It's good to identify areas in cities that are lacking in decent food options so that city planners can try and invigorate development there.

Parts of Southeast DC, until recently, barely had more than a couple sit-down restaurants... mostly just carryouts serving crappy food and fast food joints.

New Online Tool Maps The District's Food Deserts: DCist
So, they get on the metro and go a few stops. How is that different from someone in suburbia getting in their car to drive to a sit down restaurant? I can tell you I haven't walked to a sit down restaurant since 1972, when I lived in DC.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Poor people aren't literally in a food desert. There's food available, just not as great a selection as there is in low-crime neighborhoods.

What's next? Bloomingdale's deserts?
Again, a McDonald's and a liquor store does not equate to regular access to fresh fruits and vegetables... There actually is a difference between the two that has measurable health impacts.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, they get on the metro and go a few stops. How is that different from someone in suburbia getting in their car to drive to a sit down restaurant? I can tell you I haven't walked to a sit down restaurant since 1972, when I lived in DC.
I think the reason people have raised it as an issue is because, as you can see in that map, most parts of DC aren't food deserts. They're usually indicative of poverty and crime. In other words, they can help point out areas of a city that need economic development. Those red areas generally aren't just lacking in grocery stores, they're lacking in everything.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Is there something specific that triggered your anger about this? I don't know why you CARE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.