Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:39 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In my opinion it is a tactic used by groups that happen to be more desperate and btw it isn't just Islamic terror groups that use it.
Wrong, Islamic terrorist groups do indeed have a monopoly when it comes to suicide bombings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Wrong, Islamic terrorist groups do indeed have a monopoly when it comes to suicide bombings.
So I take it you have never heard of the Tamil Tigers' Black Tiger brigades? I suggest you look such things up before making poor assumptions.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
General Maxwell Taylor said that "the nature of war is to destroy man and the works of man." Didn't specify any particular kind of either one.

General Douglas MacArthur said that the way to win a war is to "take away the enemy's ability to wage war".

During the Viet Nam war at times the enemy was entirely civilian militia, as has been the case at times in Iraq, such as Sadr City. Suicide bombers were common, as they are now. There was usually no way to distinguish friend from foe, as in Iraq.

And so we fought them with all the zeal and all the means with which we fought uniformed regulars. We wanted to destroy them and their works, and they wanted to destroy ours. They wanted to take away our ability to wage war, and we wanted to take away theirs.

Only rarely did we have conventional military targets. Farms, fields and villages were destroyed as Sherman destroyed them in his march to the sea. It denied the enemy food, shelter, and other comforts and necessities. The noncombatant civilians were frequently in the way, and when they were, we destroyed them too. God could sort them out.
You are right. A generation or two ago, we didn't worry so much about civilians. People forget the hundreds of thousands, on both sides, as London and Berlin were reduced to rubble. Civilians were fair play back then.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Get a grip rightards,we DON'T support "terrists",that the right wingers job.
Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/americans_closely_divided_over_israel_s_gaza_attac ks - broken link)

Quote:
Sixty-two percent (62%) of Republicans back Israel’s decision to take military action against the Palestinians, but only half as many Democrats (31%) agree. A majority of Democrats (55%) say Israel should have tried to find a diplomatic solution first, a view shared by just 27% of Republicans.

While 75% of Republicans say Israel is an ally of the United States, just 55% of Democrats agree. Seven percent (7%) of Democrats say Israel is an enemy of America, but only one percent (1%) of Republicans say the same. For 21% of Republicans, Israel is somewhere in between, and 28% of Democrats agree.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Help me understand--is the act of the suicide that makes it more horrible? I'm sorry, but to me, whether you blow someone up by wearing a vest, or drop bombs on them from a military plane, dead is dead.
The choice of targets is a factor. For example the cost of just launching a plane in fuel alone makes target selection an important factor. Add to this the cost of the bomb, maintenance on said aircraft. Military targets tend to be more select than say a cafe crowded with lunch time customers.
or example to drop a bomb from an aircraft will cost in excess of 20 grand.
A suicide bomber will cost a fraction of that.
So once again the mind set is completely different. One targets military targets the other targets unarmed civilians. Now the military bomb may go off course and kill unintended people. ie civilians. The suicide bomber civilians are the target.
Seems to me to be a big difference.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
The glimmer of hope to me is that both Conservatives and Republicans are beginning to distance themselves from these guys. It will be a long time before we'll be able to proudly say, "I'm a Republican", or "I'm a Conservative."
That is sincerely my hope too....I have nothing at all against repubs or conservatives and without them the flaming libs would take completely over so we (the MODERATES or slightly right of center in the democrat party) NEED them for balance of power and to keep our party on it's toes and bargaining....The SOBs that I wish would fall in the ocean and disappear are the stinking neoCONS,chickenhawks and extreme right wingers.IMO they are the most hypocritical bass ackward bunch of morons EVER and the true republicans should shun them like a mexicali hooker with the clap,which imo they are several steps lower on the foodchain and have less morals or class than one anyway.They can take the extreme far left wingers with them when they make that plunge in the sea.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Bombs and other armament cost money, lots of money, to kill people with expensive arms makes no sense. Do you really think any country would blow out $100k just to kill three women, a baby, and two dogs.
Suicide bombers have the single intention to strike terror by targeting innocent people of all ages. This is an act of cowardice. It is an useless act of futility that serves no other purpose but to murder. Insanity may be defined as performing the same act over and over again and expecting different results. This is what suicide bombing is...insanity! With all the suicide bombings nothing changes. We clean up and go about our business as before. Not even the destruction of the Twin Towers did much other than killing 3500 innocent people. The only thing suicide bombing does is show the world what kind of lunatics exist in this world.
I would like to see the world come together to eliminate all groups that resort to terror. I support Israel and hope they succeed in their effort against Hamas. I regret the lost of life on both sides but no man can be expected to live quietly while rockets are landing on his house.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Any liberals here want to use the poverty excuse as to why many Muslim men become suicide bombers. Liberals love to play the poverty card to excuse the behavior of the scum of society.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Help me understand--is the act of the suicide that makes it more horrible? I'm sorry, but to me, whether you blow someone up by wearing a vest, or drop bombs on them from a military plane, dead is dead.
They dont understand the complexity of the suicide bomber, or even more likely, they dont want to understand this.

The reasoning is pretty straightforward: Your average right wing redneck is not very bright, often racist, and very self indulgent. They dont believe in the rights of others, especially those of a different race and religion.

So for them to understand what drives these kids to suicide by blowing themselves up would open up a can of worms they dont want to hear about.

Thats the short answer.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They dont understand the complexity of the suicide bomber, or even more likely, they dont want to understand this.

The reasoning is pretty straightforward: Your average right wing redneck is not very bright, often racist, and very self indulgent. They dont believe in the rights of others, especially those of a different race and religion.

So for them to understand what drives these kids to suicide by blowing themselves up would open up a can of worms they dont want to hear about.

Thats the short answer.
Yes. The suicide bombers are very deep, complex and smart people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies