Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 04:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
The answer to this question lies in the free market.
Airlines should have the liberty to decide who can or can not fly on their planes.
Allowing the airlines control over this would allow for effective and consumer friendly approaches to ensuring safety.
It is not in the interest of any airline to allow a plane to be hijacked, blown up, terrorized; simply because it would hurt their business.
The consumer who doesn't like the airlines restrictions, can always fly with another airline.
Better yet, they could start their own airline permitting disturbances and hijackings, just don't expect to have any customers or earn any money.
We did not have airport screenings prior to 911 so the free market did not help us then ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
Yes, I'll admit it: I'm bigoted against Faux News viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Talk about being a bigot...

You rail against anyone that you THINK discriminates against Muslims, and here you are on a bigotted discriminatory rant of your own...

Hypocrit...

Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM

I don't think the Muslim immigrant community living in the US is extreme, at all. I've never heard of the kind of incidents with them that you hear about in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Are you personally willing to risk getting blown up in a terroist attack in order to defend the Muslims rights to free speech? Most sane folks are not willing to place their lives in jeopardy. If Muslims are that concerned about being singled-out, then they need to address terroism and extremism in their culture. That should not be the job of western societies.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I don't think the Muslim immigrant community living in the US is extreme, at all. I've never heard of the kind of incidents with them that you hear about in Europe.
The 911 highjackers were US immigrants and were not just some extremists in the Middle East.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,121 times
mcconnie73, yes that it true, but this was the fault of government regulations in response to the FAA, and not because of airline choice.
The heavy regulation and then Republican deregulation created an environment where the airlines had little say over policies of screening at airport terminals.
Before 9/11 the airlines were pushing for air marshals on board flights and shoring up screening procedures.
It begs the question if the government had let the airlines have the power to implement these policies suggested by the airline pilots association and the international air transport association, perhaps events on 9/11 would have been different.

Airlines, like consumers have a more direct interest in what is safe, and what is not a safe environment, and are quicker to respond since airlines and consumers are the ones to lose precious lives and property without self-regulation.
Here are an article that may be of interest in explaining my position.
Can the Free Market Secure Airlines? - Abby Johnson - Mises Institute

Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
mcconnie73, yes that it true, but this was the fault of government regulations in response to the FAA, and not because of airline choice.
The heavy regulation and then Republican deregulation created an environment where the airlines had little say over policies of screening at airport terminals.
Before 9/11 the airlines were pushing for air marshals on board flights and shoring up screening procedures.
It begs the question if the government had let the airlines have the power to implement these policies suggested by the airline pilots association and the international air transport association, perhaps events on 9/11 would have been different.

Airlines, like consumers have a more direct interest in what is safe, and what is not a safe environment, and are quicker to respond since airlines and consumers are the ones to lose precious lives and property without self-regulation.
Here are an article that may be of interest in explaining my position.
Can the Free Market Secure Airlines? - Abby Johnson - Mises Institute
You have a point. Thanks for sharing the article. The government isn't always the best solution to every issue which is why I'm against universal healthcare.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Yes, I'll admit it: I'm bigoted against Faux News viewers.
Well, I'm bigoted against morons...

Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM

But I think they were here on temporary visas. I'm talking about people who are citizens here (or on that path) with roots in the community, not foreign nationals who came here for a few years to plan a terror attack.

Quote:
The 911 highjackers were US immigrants and were not just some extremists in the Middle East.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:
You're wasting your time...

LuLu views the Muslim community thru rose-colored glasses... they are all-good and not capable of anything wrong - this idea of Islamic Terrorism is a figment of our imagination... (the World Trade Centers were not destroyed by Islamic Terrorists hijacking commercial jets and slamming them into the buildings... they were taken down with explosive charges placed by the U.S. government)...

She reserves her contempt for any Americans who regard Islam as a real threat to world peace and who are on guard against another 9/11. Those are the true enemies in her opinion.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
She reserves her contempt for any Americans who regard Islam as a real threat to world peace and who are on guard against another 9/11. Those are the true enemies in her opinion.
You need to make a distinction here, just like all the christians that like the rest of us to make distinctions. The threat here is not Islam, it is islamic radicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies