Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Its not like African Americans ever call themselves that.
I do it all the time and have done so for more than 35 years.

Quote:
the only people ever troubled by this descriptor are whites.

Like I said, I've never heard anyone ***** and moan when Irish Americans of Italians do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Never understood this either. Considering how messed up Africa is right now, I wouldn't want to have any association with that continent at all! All the human rights violations and genocide issues going on in there, somehow the monicker Dark Continent now fits. If I was black, I just want to be called black.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:14 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
First, I find it curious that this issue is only raised with regards to African Americans, I have never seen this issue raised when it comes to Irish Americans, German Americans, or Italian Americans, ethnic descriptions that have been used for centuries.

I noticed that too. I grew up in a neighborhood where people called themselves just plain "Irish" or " Italian"

Old 01-03-2009, 11:15 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,068 times
I work with 4 people from Morocco. They are as white as any european. So in the states, they too would be AFRICAN AMERICAN.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
Just come right out and say it...people have problems with things like this only when black people do it. Let's not beat around the bush.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobellaxx View Post
I was thinking about this and had a few questions, so feel free to give your 2 cents.

From an outside point of view, it can sometimes seem strange that in the US, black people are referred to as African American.

What's wrong with someone being described as just black? Especially since black people can come from any number of countries, not all of which are found in Africa. If an aboriginal person from Australia went to live in the US or had children there, I'm sure they'd be referred to as African American, even though they have no links to Africa whatsoever.

I mean, I've overhead Americans in London becoming confused, because they suddenly realised that they couldn't call a black Londoner 'African American' because... he was black, but neither African, nor American.

Conversely - there are also many people in Africa who are white, or another race, or colour. If these people went to live in the USA and had kids there, don't they have the right to call themselves as African American?

I guess my (rambling) point is that it just seems to me that African should be used to denote nationality (or rather, your nationality is from that continent) and not race.
There are plenty of white African-Americans in this country. John Kerry's wife is from South Africa originally. All any hyphenation of a person does is to separate them from truly being a complete American. One is either an American or not. The blacks are black and most couldn't point out Africa on a map. Of course, neither could the idiot white kids out there. But, they aren't from Africa and even if they are, once they become an American citizen then they are American. PERIOD!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:57 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Just come right out and say it...people have problems with things like this only when black people do it. Let's not beat around the bush.
The reason nobody is saying it is because that's BS.....Have you not read any of the other posts?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM

216 posts, read 290,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobellaxx View Post
I was thinking about this and had a few questions, so feel free to give your 2 cents.

From an outside point of view, it can sometimes seem strange that in the US, black people are referred to as African American.

What's wrong with someone being described as just black? Especially since black people can come from any number of countries, not all of which are found in Africa. If an aboriginal person from Australia went to live in the US or had children there, I'm sure they'd be referred to as African American, even though they have no links to Africa whatsoever.

I mean, I've overhead Americans in London becoming confused, because they suddenly realised that they couldn't call a black Londoner 'African American' because... he was black, but neither African, nor American.

Conversely - there are also many people in Africa who are white, or another race, or colour. If these people went to live in the USA and had kids there, don't they have the right to call themselves as African American?

I guess my (rambling) point is that it just seems to me that African should be used to denote nationality (or rather, your nationality is from that continent) and not race.
Why are you only curious about African American and not other races? How does satisfying your curiosity affect you?

I find it amazing how some non-blacks (or non-AA) are constantly trying to place African Americans in their idea of what they believe AA s/b. What is even more amazing is how some believe they have the answers? If this was the case, the world would be a better place for all races.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I really doubt Americans travelling or living abroad would be confused as to why they couldn't call UK citizens who are black 'African-American'. That sounds like a caricature of American stupidity to me.....kinda like if I asked the OP hows his teeth?

Anyhoo -- I am mutt, and as such I don't call myself anything hyphenated. Like Filet Mignon, it would be too long. But, I do know most of my ancestry and that is something that whites have that black Americans don't. I know I am of European descent, and I also know specifically where from Europe I am descended (or at least mostly). For black Americans, they can only point to the continent of Africa....they have no idea from what countries or tribes they descended from.
Now, that said I think identifying primarily with another country/continent is foolish. From my understanding the people of those countries/continents think Americans are somewhat idiotic when we try to 'claim' brotherhood with our ancestral stomping grounds. Apparently this annoys the Irish the most
Actually; with modern DNA testing many American Blacks can pinpoint quite closely which parts of Africa their Black ancestors came from. Supposedly despite Blacks/Negroes being lumped into one 'race'--------on a genetic level they are quite diverse.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I do it all the time and have done so for more than 35 years.

Like I said, I've never heard anyone ***** and moan when Irish Americans of Italians do it.
I didn't think the term had been around that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies