Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
She is South African-American, just like you stated Mexican-American.

She is from a particular country not the whole continent.
Blacks are not from the whole continent either. Are Moroccans black? How about Egyptian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I know that. I'm a geography dork. But if CT can't be referred to as an AA, then no one can. Is that your argument? It would have to be for consistency's sake.
In a purely logical sense, "CT" is just as much an African as Hillary Clinton is an American. But this isn't cold logic here.....so you're technically correct, but you're going nowhere....

Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Blacks in America were bread like cattle, and are a genetic mix of many African tribes, so they can't be associated with one cultural group or location

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Blacks in America were bread like cattle, and are a genetic mix of many African tribes, so they can't be associated with one cultural group or location
Would that be Whole Wheat, Soft Rye, Sourdough or (heaven forbid) White Bread?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Would that be Whole Wheat, Soft Rye, Sourdough or (heaven forbid) White Bread?
seven grain bred

Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Blacks are not from the whole continent either. Are Moroccans black? How about Egyptian?
black is a whole different term than African American to me.

I do not know, and many others do not know where their ancestors came from before they came to America. So i guess thats why they lumped us all into one category.

and Moroccan are not black. They are Moroccan, just like people who live in Egypt are Egyptian.

Black is a term made up in America. When people from the counties you listed come to America, they are where they came from. But I bet some one who wouldn't know their culture or background would call them black...

I don't know if that really made sense

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
She is South African-American, just like you stated Mexican-American. You wouldn't refer to him/her as a North American.

She is from a particular country not the whole continent.
In theory I concur with you. However, for consistency's sake you must apply that rule evenly and across the board. So, you believe that the term, "African American", in and of itself is convoluted and shouldn't be applied to anyone. Because, as you correctly stated no one is referred to as a European American or North American American. Correct? However, the "rule" isn't applied consistently since the term, "Asian American" is quite prevalent. So, we're back to square one.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
What do you mean? She was born in South Africa and did indeed immigrate to the states. Why are you disputing that? The facts are irrefutable. Born and raised in Africa, emigrated to America= African American. I'm confused by your confusion.

Born in Mexico and become an American: Mexican American
Born in India and become an American: Indian American
Born in African and become an American: African American
Mexico is a country. India is a country. South Africa is a country. She is a South African-American, or an American who was born in South Africa.

An African American, for the 8000th time, is someone descended from Africans involuntarily taken from there who developed a distinct culture in America. Immigrants from Africa are not African Americans. An African American does not know which country his or her ancestors came from hundreds of years ago, hence the designation from the continent.

If you are confused by my confusion, try reading this entire thread. You refuse to not be confused. I have unconfused anyone who wishes not to remain confused.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
I know that. I'm a geography dork. But if CT can't be referred to as an AA, then no one can. Is that your argument? It would have to be for consistency's sake.
African-American is primarily used for those who cannot trace their roots to a particular country. I see nothing wrong with using it in this context. If a person's nationality is known, there is really no reason to use ‎African-American.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Africans, as well as Europeans, Natives and sometimes Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies